Old 03-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #1
1964 26' Overlander
Iowa City , Iowa
Need some help with a '64 Overlander

My wife and I recently acquired a 1964 Overlander trailer and I'm looking for some advice on asking price, as we are looking to sell it in the near future. The previous owners were in the middle of renovating it, and unfortunately, we simply don't have the time to complete the renovation. Overall, I would say the trailer is in good shape, but it has a mix of original and replaced items. In general, I guess I have a couple of questions:

1) Based on the pictures below, what approximate condition would be most accurate in listing?

2) Is it better to include the items that were planned for the renovation, but not completed? For example, they have a couple of items from IKEA they planned to install, but weren't completed?

3) Are there any recommended fixes before we sell the trailer, or is my best bet to simple sell it as is?

I've visited to get a rough idea of asking price, but really wasn't sure how the mix of original and replaced items would impact the price. Thank you in advance for any information you're able to share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior 1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	456.0 KB
ID:	208241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior 2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	208242  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior 1-2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	208243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior 5-2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	208244  

hajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
1964 26' Overlander
Iowa City , Iowa
Bump...anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

hajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well, I wouldn't try to categorize it, what I would do is describe in detail what has already been done on it, how useable it is (ie., could you go camping this weekend, or is there critical stuff to be done), and how "modernized" it is (ie., does it have grey tanks retrofitted, etc.).

So, it is hard for any of us to look at the pictures and tell you what it is worth without knowing more information. A trailer can be "half renovated," but if the axles are original (ie., shot), the floor has rotten spots in it, and there are major appliances that are not "RV" quality (ie., a dorm refrigerator rather than an RV frig), then all that interior paint and upholstery aren't worth very much.

So you ask "what should I do before selling?" It depends on the level of useability you intend to advertise it as. If you are going to tell me that it is "camping ready," then it had better be ready to go boon-docking. If you intend to call it "safe to tow, but a work in progress," then it probably doesn't matter that you do anything more to it, as long as it is priced appropriately. At a glance, though, I am inclined to say that you should treat it like you would a house: A little bit of interior paint and caulk can really make a house more sellable. I've walked away from houses with bubble-gum green and purple rooms, simply because I don't want to start my ownership of the house by painting over what somebody thought was cool. Many, Many people who buy vintage trailers do so planing to "make it their own," so no matter what color you paint it inside, the new buyer may have other ideas.

So back to price. People can be convinced that the "heavy lifting" is worth money--repaired rotten floors, replaced major appliances, fixed leaks, repaired rusting frame, etc.. When it comes to the interior paint and upholstery, you have to find a buyer with your exact same tastes, who can look at the work you have done, and think "great, I won't have to do that."

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote