Old 12-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Need Help With Pricing Used Airstream

We are considering selling our Classic 31 and downsizing to a more rugged and somewhat more compact trailer, so we can get more off the beaten path. I am trying to find information on used modern Airstream prices and finding very little. Further complicating the issue is that fact that the Classic 31 floor plan is no longer available, the Classics have been extensively changed, and the new prices are significantly higher. I would like any advice on pricing and possible sources of pricing information.

Ken

Old 12-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
The first place I would begin looking is at dealer websites. If you can find a similar example this can serve as a high retail point.
I know that NADA has a web site that gives used trailer values too although I have no idea just how accurate the numbers are.
Bruce

RV Prices, Values & Reviews - NADAguides

Old 12-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Compare your trailer to others on Airstream Classified and RVTrader. Check Airstream dealers inventory to see what they have and depending on the condition of your trailer and the demand price accordingly. Adjust price if there is no activity. Include plenty of photos in your advertising and specify any updates you have made since purchasing, the maintenance performed and any issues that are outstanding.

I sold my Casita on the Casita Club classified using those methods and was able to sell it within a month. I received inquiries from out of state.

Good luck.

BTW, what are you looking at that meets your requirements for the next trailer.

Kelvin
Old 12-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Compare your trailer to others on Airstream Classified and RVTrader. Check Airstream dealers inventory to see what they have and depending on the condition of your trailer and the demand price accordingly. Adjust price if there is no activity. Include plenty of photos in your advertising and specify any updates you have made since purchasing, the maintenance performed and any issues that are outstanding.

I sold my Casita on the Casita Club classified using those methods and was able to sell it within a month. I received inquiries from out of state.

Good luck.

BTW, what are you looking at that meets your requirements for the next trailer.

Kelvin
Thanks Kelvin,

I'm just starting the search for a replacement also. My last trailer was a 21 foot Bigfoot. If they made a 27 or 28 foot trailer, that would be on my list.

Important factors are:

Ability to handle rough roads without popping rivets.

Not incurring thousands of dollars in damage if a tree branch is encounter while maneuvering. We are moving from the arid wide open spaces to the forests of the pacific northwest.

Better insulation and water integrity (doesn't leak much)

Basically , I'm looking for durability. I also definitely want a tow behind rather than a 5th wheel to preserve the covered bed of the truck for cargo.

Ken
Old 12-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
The first place I would begin looking is at dealer websites. If you can find a similar example this can serve as a high retail point.
I know that NADA has a web site that gives used trailer values too although I have no idea just how accurate the numbers are.
Bruce

RV Prices, Values & Reviews - NADAguides
Thanks Bruce,

After figuring out how to use that site, I eventually came up with a price range. Now I guess I need to look around the internet for possible past sales, Maybe eBay, but I doubt it.

Ken
Old 12-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
From a fast look at two sites (here is one of them) I am guessing ~$60,000

Am I close?
Old 12-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Ken, we took a look at a new 25' Bigfoot in August. Very, very, very nice trailer with two good floor plans. If we ever full-timed, and could deal with the loss of the shiny AS conversation starter....

Best of luck selling!

Tom
Old 12-12-2014, 06:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
From a fast look at two sites (here is one of them) I am guessing ~$60,000

Am I close?
Are you teasing me? I can't find a link in your post.

When I finally broke the code to get some info from NADA, I got $65,000. I don't know if there is any validity to that though.

Ken
Old 12-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Ken, we took a look at a new 25' Bigfoot in August. Very, very, very nice trailer with two good floor plans. If we ever full-timed, and could deal with the loss of the shiny AS conversation starter....

Best of luck selling!

Tom
The house we have made an offer on has RV parking, but the trailer has to be backed up an inclined driveway from the street. I can tell that the skids on the back of our airstream will contact the asphalt well before the back wheels get to the hill and are able to start up it. I'm sure I can find something else that will work in that situation. The 25 foot bigfoot is not out of the question.

Ken
Old 12-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Finding a vintage kin takes work. And for insurance purposes makes searches for comps a regular thing

I'd try the national CL search engines such as SearchTempest. Be patient. I'd also check dealer inventories.

Bigfoot looks very good to me. Starting from scratch it may be the way to go.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Are you teasing me? I can't find a link in your post.
No, I wasn't, but sorry for the poor phrasing. I didn't mean that as a link, but rather that there are two or three recent-model 30(1)-footers in the Classifieds on here, but I only meant you could look at them and make any personal comparisons. There are also a few more on Can-Am RV Centre | #1 Airstream Dealer in Customer Satisfaction Worldwide | Your Full-Service RV Dealer but those are in $CAD, so that's why I left it up to you as to what dealers to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
When I finally broke the code to get some info from NADA, I got $65,000. I don't know if there is any validity to that though.
Ken
It's in line with what I thought. I like to bracket prices when shopping for a price on a large-ticket item like this. Look through the vendor sites for similar sizes, years, equipment levels, (and write them out) and you'll soon have a very good idea of what other sellers think.

The one thing wrong with taking those prices as gospel is that though is that those are listed selling prices. One has to assume that some negotiation will occur.

But, your own research is your friend. And you have time on your side too. I have noticed that the theory that winter selling gets lower prices than spring seems to be true. IMHO that's purely because the buyers are more scarce in winter, plus, they are expecting "hot deals" simply because of the time of year.

Keep looking, and you're bound to be an expert in a month or two.

ps: My WAG wasn't too far off now, was it?

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
You ought to be able to do a bit of research to get a decent range of what something is worth. Obviously you can't run all over the country checking the condition of every coach, but if the majority are $55-$65,000 a coach that is way out of that range would be suspect. If the asking price is too low there may be a good reason why. If the price is too high someone may be dreaming.

Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote