Old 08-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #1

1973 25' Tradewind
washinton twp. , Michigan
need advice on new trailer

just purchased '73 airstream tradewinds landyacht in great shape for $3000,good buy? is it better investment wise to keep it original or to update,or remodel it? where could i get parts if better to stay original?

Old 08-01-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
That sounds like a great deal to me, if things are in great shape. Congratulations! As for your investment, it is probably better to keep it original if you plan to resell it later, but if you plan to keep it, make it the way YOU want it!

You can check the classified ads on this site for parts, and there are several great vendors on the forum who can help you with new parts. For used parts, I believe there are some RV boneyards around who have Airstream stuff, but you would have to do a search for them or perhaps someone else could chime in with their contact info, since I don't know who they are.

Welcome! We're happy to have you on the forum! Post pictures when you get a chance - we all love to see each others' 'streams!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by newairstream
just purchased '73 airstream tradewinds landyacht in great shape for $3000,good buy? is it better investment wise to keep it original or to update,or remodel it? where could i get parts if better to stay original?
We have more parts for your Airstream, in stock, than anyone on the planet.

There are a number of things you should address quickly.

1. What's the condition of the axles? The following with guide you through checking them out yourself.

Dura Torque Axle

2. Check all the exterior gaskets, the entrance door, windows, access compartments and especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets. You will need to remove one of those covers to inspect the gasket. You should also check the ceiling vent cover gaskets.

3. Living where you do requires that you make the trailer water proof quickly, so that other damages don't occur.

4. You can get a 1973 service manual which will help you with many things on your trailer. The first repair you do, will more than pay for the book.

Andy
Old 08-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
The axles will wait.

Do the sewer vent pipe gaskets first, seal seam or voids with Parbond or Vulkem (as appropriate) second, then do the ceiling vent cover gaskets third.

Camp in your new Airstream a few times at local campgrounds. If you decide you like 'streaming, then buy new axles if your Tradewind needs them.

Just my opinion,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I don't know. If you plan on moving it, it all depends on how bad the axles really are. If they are totally shot, then that could be one of the reasons it was such a steal. If you posted some pics of it, it would be easier to say if they could wait or not.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by newairstream
Before you spend any money on repairs or replacements, it is alway wise to try to find out how much the "bottom line" of the repair costs may be.

Checking all the appliances is another early thing to do.

Certainly check for rear end separation is an absolute must.

Rotten floors is another check.

When you come up with that "bottom line" you may still have a good deal, or you may have a very bad deal. If you see that you have a very bad deal, then you can get rid of the trailer "before" you spend one penny on it.

If you learn that you have a bad deal, then will will have learned how to buy another Airstream, that for real, is a good deal, because you now know what to look for.

Andy
Old 08-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
It may be academic, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Before you spend any money on repairs or replacements, it is alway wise to try to find out how much the "bottom line" of the repair costs may be...
Excellent advice.

But I still recommend getting it to a campground in nothing but a leak-free condition first JUST to determine if 'streamin' is for you.

Don't waste money if you find you'd rather not do that again.

Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote