Old 10-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2000 30' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
I have bought and sold a few times. I find that there is a legitimate reason for the auto value sites to be lacking in valuing Airstreams. Very few used Airstreams ever hit the commercial resale segment. Most Airstreams are advertised and sold by individual owners, therefore the pricing/values never hit the auto value websites. If you look around, you will find the true values are spot on with the real worth.
just my $0.02.

jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
For insurance take a look at Blue Sky and National Interstate. Both companies compute Airstream values differently than NADA and Kelly Blue Book. Any comparison to the regular travel trailer market has a mistake... particularly when it comes to insuring your trailer.

Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
Be VERY careful with Airstreams advertised at prices much lower than "comparable" units. There are scam artists offering "deals" on Airstreams that either do not exist or, are not theirs to sell. Such a seller will try to get you to send them money before you (or anyone you know) has seen the Airstream they have "for sale". Any money you send will be lost as the "seller" will have disappeared.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
1978 31' Sovereign
Los Angeles , California

Originally Posted by kyleice View Post
Thanks....I've been looking at a lot of ads on Airstream classifieds. I think you guys confirmed what I've been thinking. Which leads me to my next questions-

- Do most people pay cash for these trailers if the supposed value doesn't match the asking price?

- If the trailer were to get damaged would the insurance company work off of the NADA value leaving me high and dry?
as mentioned, you have to prove value and I have done that successfully with the tightest of insurance companies. There have been times when I collected multiples of what I actually paid for a relatively rare (but seemingly common) vehicle.

It takes a little effort but it can be done
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
When I bought my Safari I had to finance part of the cost. My bank wanted to use the NADA to place a value. I was able to prove that the guide was incorrect by showing them a half dozen ads and final selling prices. I used the same info for insurance purposes to get a realistic value for coverage.
I was not able to convince the bank of the value of a used trailer, so I bought a new one.
There was $15,000 difference between asking price and NADA value.
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:45 PM   #20
2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
If you buy a used AS from a dealership, the finance dept should be able to arrange financing through a bank or credit union. I financed an 8-yr-old AS that way but had to put at least 20% down.
Terry P. Rizzuti, "Yertle"

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:48 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
I am planning to look into the "agreed value" as well but showing what I paid for my 03 classic will not help. It was a very good deal. What else have others used to show the real world value?
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
1970 27' Overlander
1989 32' Excella
Bay City , Texas
opinions on 2004 30' land yatch with slide

I am presently dealing for this motorhome. I own two AS trailers but know nothing of the pros and cons of this type airstream. I think it has a fiberglass body. The seller said the 2004 was the last year it was built. I would like to hear some opinions from people that are familiar with it. Thanks, Ken
capt ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:57 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
1997 30' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
When looking for your AS consider the value you will enjoy in the time you expect to own it. My first one I paid $24,000 (98EXLA31 classic) and had it ten years putting in maybe 6k and selling it for $30,000. It was in like new condition in and out. In my observation a well cared for unit at what looks like a premium price is worth every penny. Do you feel you got your moneys worth no matter the amount? People generally love their AS's b/c the sweet taste of quality far exceeds the price of acquisition.
Devananda-E9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:03 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member
Lakewood , Colorado
Great information. Thanks all!
kyleice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:32 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I am planning to look into the "agreed value" as well but showing what I paid for my 03 classic will not help. It was a very good deal. What else have others used to show the real world value?
What I found by calling was that two companies, only two, would provide agreed policies for me. There were four companies that provided the agreed policy but two of them had rules that eliminated me. One required that they had the trailer insured when new and the other required that it be less than five years old. The two that WOULD cover my '06 (this year) had different rules. One stated that they would cover it only with an appraisal since my purchase was more than two years ago. The other, Farmer's, said that there was a three year period from time of purchase to be able to use the bill of sale/receipt. After that, they too required an appraisal. So, that is how owners of Airstreams older than two years can get better coverage. Progressive, my truck insurer, said that they offered an agreed policy but not for one as old as mine. So, there are many details in the shopping and relatively few choices or varied choices depending on the age of the trailer. Agreed value is the best choice for anyone who wants to protect their camper investment IMO as it defies NADA which, to me, seems to be a controlled factor to benefit new purchases and promote trade-in disappointment; an over-devaluation per se.
2015 Ford F-150 3.5 Ecobeast 3.55 Lariat
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:15 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Herndon , Virginia
NADA Values and Used Airstreams

As a classic car hobbyist (Mustangs), I have found that used Airstream (asking) prices really bounce around like collector car prices do, affected as they are by either the amateur seller (selling his/her own for what he hopes it's worth) vs. dealers (price high and deal down). We bought our first RV/Airstream knowing we only would select an Airstream, essentially a retirement home we've saved for and are delighted with. Used costs are affected by the status of Airstreams as longer-term investments compared to other RV brands, and are most affected by mega-demand for new Airstreams. Latest I've heard on customer demand is that it's up 60% over last couple of years.
66coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Columbus , Mississippi
"...People generally love their AS's b/c the sweet taste of quality far exceeds the price of acquisition..."

Now, Devan, THAT is a great quote!!
That old man, he don't think like no old man.
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...
"I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim
GuyGene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:47 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Thanks for the tips. Now to get an appraisal?? The other concern is, of course, making sure I am compensated properly if there is damage. At least I'm an easy day drive from JC

wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote