Old 05-31-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
1992 25' Excella
Cashmere , Washington
Question Love the 1977 22' Argosy --Should I buy?

I am looking at buying my first trailer and love the Airstream and Argosy trailers, but do I ever need help! I looked at a 22' Argosy today and really like it, but it will need work. I don't mind some, but would prefer to spend my time camping rather than remodeling given a choice. The seller has it listed at $5500. The interior shows it's age, but doesn't appear to have been abused. The air conditioner isn't working, he says the fan works, but pump isn't. The oven heats, but the thermostat doesn't work so the temperature isn't regulated. The hot water tank works, but again I am told the thermostat is broken. They have only heated water when needed and then switched it off. They haven't used the water holding tank since the diaphragm on the pump is perforated. The refridgerator works on propane, but not on electricity. There is a 12" shallow dent on the exterior "forehead". Also, minor surface rust on upper front panel above the windows. I can see some corrosion on the frame, but I haven't gotten underneath to take a good look. He replaced the original carpet and said there was some rot at the door. The windows all seem to be fine and I couldn't see any evidence of leaks.

Love the floor plan and the size is great since we want to be able to take in anywhere. It has lots of light and is very inviting. What should I look for in the way of problems and what is a fair price?

Old 05-31-2009, 02:31 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6kitties View Post
I am looking at buying my first trailer and love the Airstream and Argosy trailers, but do I ever need help! I looked at a 22' Argosy today and really like it, but it will need work. I don't mind some, but would prefer to spend my time camping rather than remodeling given a choice. The seller has it listed at $5500. The interior shows it's age, but doesn't appear to have been abused. The air conditioner isn't working, he says the fan works, but pump isn't. The oven heats, but the thermostat doesn't work so the temperature isn't regulated. The hot water tank works, but again I am told the thermostat is broken. They have only heated water when needed and then switched it off. They haven't used the water holding tank since the diaphragm on the pump is perforated. The refrigerator works on propane, but not on electricity. There is a 12" shallow dent on the exterior "forehead". Also, minor surface rust on upper front panel above the windows. I can see some corrosion on the frame, but I haven't gotten underneath to take a good look. He replaced the original carpet and said there was some rot at the door. The windows all seem to be fine and I couldn't see any evidence of leaks.

Love the floor plan and the size is great since we want to be able to take in anywhere. It has lots of light and is very inviting. What should I look for in the way of problems and what is a fair price?
Welcome to the forums. Most, if not all, Argosy trailers and motor homes will require painting, if they haven't been already. But first, let's look at the known issues the trailer has:
It needs a water pump. It can cost from $75 to $125 for the part, not counting labor to install.
It needs an air conditioner, that will cost at least $800 + installation. If it still has the original a/c, it will probably be riveted to the roof, and have to be cut off, and the roof modified for the new a/c to be installed. Depending where you go, that could cost another $200-$400, depending on shop labor rates, and time spent working on it.
It need the water heater repaired or replaced. If it's the original, it probably will require replacement, somewhere up to $500, depending on what water heater you get, plus installation.
I will probably need a new range, unless you can find the parts to fix the old one, for another $400+, plus installation.
If the fridge can't be fixed, that will be another $600-$800 for a replacement, plus installation.
How is the furnace? Does it work?
How are the brakes? How are the tires? Are those parts new or recently replaced? If not, they will have to be replaced, tires are over $100 each. If the axles require replacement, it'll be another $1500 for the pair, plus freight and installation for OEM. That price would include brakes and hub/drum assemblies, but not tires.
Now, for the body. The "forehead". Is that the end cap on the roof, or is it one of the segments on a corner? A 12" dent is pretty good-sized, is it 12" deep, or 12" across? If the dent is on an aluminum segment, you may have to replace the segment, to the tune of around $1000+. How was the floor rot repaired? Was new wood installed or a chunk of plywood nailed over the hole?
Paint...You may get someone to paint the trailer for anywhere from $100-$250 per linear foot, and the trailer itself is 19 feet long.
So, you are looking at a minimum of $2900 in parts alone, not counting paint and body work, just for what we know is wrong.
This may be a bucket of cold water thrown at you, but at least you'll have an idea of costs.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I actually looked at this trailer for a friend of mine when I was in BC a couple of weeks ago, and the owner told me the same things. I did not look underneath. It does need updating. The orange interior was,,,, what can I say here, really orange. It did include the weight distributing hitch and that is a plus. I though the price is around 1.5K high. I do have alot of pictures if anyone would like to see them, to offer more advice.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Previous Argy 22 owner

Welcome to the forums!
We had a 22' Argosy until it was totaled in an accident a year ago. Yes, the floor plan is great & it's a convenient size.
Most on the forums will tell you that the smaller sized trailers will usually go for more $$ than their bigger brothers. Overlander63 is correct in the estimates on repair.
Does this Argosy have protectors (solar rock guards) over the front windows? If not, that will be another "investment" as those front wrap windows are expensive to replace & the new ones are tinted.
Is the A/C original? In that vintage, Armstrong was the factory installed A/C. Ours came with an old A/C that didn't work; however, it wasn't installed by the factory & we wound up removing it - when we did, we discovered that the roof wasn't set up for the A/C & replaced with a MAXX fan.
Does it have an awning? If not, you are looking at another $1200.
What about cosmetics? Usually, the inside j-molding trim around the front windows on any Argy of this vintage is cracked or missing.
If the water pump isn't working, you don't have any way of pressure testing the water system. Does it have the original copper pipes? Over the years, there may have been cold weather damage - look for bulges in the copper, jury-rigged tubes in the pipes, etc.
Any trailer of that age needs some TLC - their $5500 may be a bit high for the condition - really, in the final event, it's what it's worth to you & how much of your time do you want to invest.
Check out our pictures - there's some shots of our 22' before her demise.
If you do buy this trailer, we happen to have some new foam "L" cushions in storage for the side settee - PM us if interested as they are in Lynden.
All the best on your decision!
Old 05-31-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Love the 1977 22' Argosy --Should I buy?

Greetings 6kitties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6kitties View Post
I am looking at buying my first trailer and love the Airstream and Argosy trailers, but do I ever need help! I looked at a 22' Argosy today and really like it, but it will need work. I don't mind some, but would prefer to spend my time camping rather than remodeling given a choice. The seller has it listed at $5500. The interior shows it's age, but doesn't appear to have been abused. The air conditioner isn't working, he says the fan works, but pump isn't. The oven heats, but the thermostat doesn't work so the temperature isn't regulated. The hot water tank works, but again I am told the thermostat is broken. They have only heated water when needed and then switched it off. They haven't used the water holding tank since the diaphragm on the pump is perforated. The refridgerator works on propane, but not on electricity. There is a 12" shallow dent on the exterior "forehead". Also, minor surface rust on upper front panel above the windows. I can see some corrosion on the frame, but I haven't gotten underneath to take a good look. He replaced the original carpet and said there was some rot at the door. The windows all seem to be fine and I couldn't see any evidence of leaks.

The coach sounds like it could be a good starting point, but the price seems to be about $2,000 too much. If the coach has been stored outside, the upholstery and drapes will likely need attention if they are original -- that with the other known issues is what I base my assessment upon. Two things could increase its value -- (1) if it is the rear entry model -- entry door behind rather than ahead of axles -- (2) if it is a Minuet -- the Minuet series began in '77, but I am not sure whether the 6.7 Metre was introduced during the first season or if it was introduced for '78.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
1992 25' Excella
Cashmere , Washington
Thanks for all the great information. If I bought this trailer, it sounds like I would be busy. I would really prefer one to travel in rather than a project. My husband and I are in the process of remodeling our home ourselves, so we have really seen enough of that work to last a lifetime.

The dent is on the corner segment. It isn't deep; the seller said a tree limb fell on it. I am told the furnace works very well and there is no awning. We are going strictly on what the seller told us; we were unable to test any of it. It has a front entry and I don't know how to tell if it is a Minuet or not. If it should be branded in some way, I didn't see it. The upholstery and drapes appear to be original. Gotta love orange!
Old 05-31-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hi there - I know what you mean about light and airy...we have the 22' Argosy Minuet and it is all that we could ask for in the way of a wonderful little trailer

Yes, the Minuet does or should have some markings on the outside saying it is a Minuet. Ours has "Minuet" signs attached to it, as well as a vinyl 6.7metre sticker. Also the Minuet is somewhat thinner than a regular Argosy. I agree w/others as to price of that Argosy if many things need to be redone.

If you want one ready to go, I have attached a pic of a 22' Minuet that has been on e-bay a couple of times. They are asking a higher price because it has many upgrades. I e-mailed them w/some info, so might be able to contact them again, if you are interested. You would probably have to travel some to get it tho. This one would be the same size as our.

PS Did you see Zimbops 20' Minuet he is showing here. It is in Albuquerque. Looks pretty nice.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
It is not a Minuet. It did look usable with fixing the waterpump and hot water heater. The Fridge needs either an electric heating element or control. Anybody,s guess on the oven. I have seen worse, like mine.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
1992 25' Excella
Cashmere , Washington
Having bought one worse and knowing what you know now...would you buy this one?
Old 05-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Probably, but I'd start the haggling at 3000-3500
Old 07-24-2009, 07:04 PM   #11
Usually Sleepy

1973 27' Overlander
East Haven , Connecticut
hey 6kitties, how did you make out?

biggoofball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags