Old 08-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Smile Looking for help on a value for good condition '72 Trade Wind

Would love some advice on reasonable value.

Just got done looking at a 25' 1972 Trade Wind for sale by the second owner. They've had it for 12 years. It is in very good condition both inside and out. We are interested in this particular trailer because we like the interior style, like the layout (has dinette) and don't want to go any bigger. The dinette in particular seems to be hard to come up with in this era and size (at least in SoCal).

The Good:
Less than 1,000 miles on new brakes, wheel bearings, and tires. Has new toilet and dump valve installed as well. All appliances work, AC works, water pump works, comes with original weight distribution hitch & propane tanks (though they need to be re-certified and have new valves installed). Cushions are in excellent condition.

The Less Good:
Safari windows (if you will, I mean the ceiling curved windows in front) have had the UV coating peel off and have the flakes trapped inside. A few of the roller doors on the cabinets have stopped functioning as they have come apart (though all pieces *appear* to be there). Needs to have some TLS on the outside to clean up some superficial surface schmutz.

Question:
We had a slight misunderstanding with the seller about their asking price and now want to make sure that we are well armed when considering what a fair price is. Overall I'd say the trailer is in very good to great shape and with some elbow grease could be called excellent.

So... they have it on CL for $9400. While I think they are open to some discussion but I also feel that there is an emotional attachment to the vehicle...

I appreciate any and all helpful input.

Thanks!

James

Old 08-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
James,
You need to know if the axles have been replaced and when.That would be the biggest replacement expense.Check the floor for rot.Also vintageairstream.com has a whole section on value and deducting the not so good stuff from the asking price.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Terrific Steve, thanks for the reply. I'll take a look into the site and ask about the axels!

James
Old 08-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Sounds a little high on the price to me but things may be more expensive on the West Coast. Like bywaysteve said, check the floor carefully for rot, especially in the rear, and inside under all the vent stacks, around the front door, and around the refrigerator vent and water heater. Floor repairs are a hassle and very labor intensive. Check the axles yourself, here is info on what to look for: Dura Torque Axle
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
San Diego , California
My thought was to offer about a grand less (following a more detailed inspection) assuming it continues to be as solid as it appears. Great link on the axels, I'll absolutely do an inspection.

THanks again to all.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The actual cost to me for my trailer was the difference between the price I paid in relation to the price someone else might be willing to pay. If it was listed for the lower price of the two, it would already be sold, because if it was listed at a price somebody else would pay, chances are good somebody else would have beat me to it. So the difference is "opportunity" cost . . . blue sky.

Now parts and fix ups . . . that's a different story. There's a critical mass price point that makes it impossible to recover costs for deferred maintenance and things like carpet, batteries, and tires. The next buyer expects carpet, batteries, and tires and is likely not going to pay a premium to get those items.

I didn't buy my trailer as an investment and I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed. I bought it as a luxury, pleasure, travel trailer. I'll use it a little or I'll use it a lot and when I'm done with it, all I want are the memories and pictures in my photo album. Same as I did with my two motorhomes, motorcycles, and pop up camping trailer. I can't tell ya what I paid for any of them or what I sold em for. I do remember the trips and I have the pictures and all good memories.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Gary, I'm on the same page as you.

My investment is in my family, our holidays, and in having fun. We are upgrading from a pop top trailer because we enjoy the camping but want to take something a bit bigger and more "home like" with us.

I have a 61 Falcon wagon, a host of vintage bikes and a few old guitars. None of them were bought as an investment in future resale but with the investment in enjoyment!

That said, the seller and I came to a reasonable agreement and the trailer will be ours next week. Needs some immediate elbow grease and some future repairs but is a solid and complete trailer that has the floor plan we want in the size we want, therefore its worth it to us!

Thanks for all the input, I suspect I will become an active member of this board now!

James
Old 08-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1970 23' Safari
1956 16' Bubble
Jamul , California
James,
Congrats on your new trailer and your new adventure. Seller and buyer happy...now on to the joys of Airstream ownership. Parts are available and the advise on this forum is the best. Someone has done it, fixxed it, broken it and or replaced it, just search or ask. Might be able to help you on those windows, depending on whether they are the upper vista views or front window wings. I'm currently working on our 1970 Safari, gutted right now, floor and frame repairs done, plumbing done...Sounds like your rig is in great shape. Pics and memories-Go Camping!
Stream Safe,
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1970 Safari 23' Land Yacht
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Thanks Bob!

We are stoked. We will be getting the vehicle this weekend and start the TLC process soon thereafter. I am a DIY kind of guy so none of the fixes really scare me (yet).

I am talking about the upper vista view windows. Mostly it looks to be cosmetic and not a number one priority but is something we'd likely want to hit down the road.

Also, Bob, in the grand scheme of things, looks like we are neighbors - we are located near La Mesa.

James

Tags
1972, advice, fair value, tradewind