Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

mansfield , Ohio
looking for comments on a '76 Overlander please

Hi..
This is my first post, but I have been reading so much I feel as if I know some of you J

I’m thinking about getting this 76 Overlander, here is the link. I understand the 76’s were built by a food company and they were cutting some corners making things weaker than some of the earlier models at that time to bring prophet to the bottom line. But there still a good unit aren’t they? Or should I be looking for a 69? Anyway here is the link
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=3wcfew1l.8saqid2p&x=0&h=1&y= czxmkg&localeid=en_US

If anyone has any time to look at the pic’s and care to comment please do so. I spoke with the owner, he said there was a coffee can size soft spot by the commode, and went on to say he thinks it was caused by a freeze plug at the pressure regulator?? Is anyone failure with this sort of problem, and do you think there might be some sort of frame damage because of this? There is a roof vent missing, and that’s about all I now. This AS is about 5 hr’s away and Id just like to know if anyone sees anything that I may have over looked.
snowpig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hi snowpig, welcome to the Forums!

I wouldn't worry too much about the ownership of the company over the years and how it affected quality, there are plenty of happy and satisfied mid-70s owners on the Forum.

The soft spot could be a big problem, or it could only be a small one. If you go to take as look at this unit, be sure to inspect the floor all the way around the edges. Take an ice pick or a punch awl, and try to dig at the floor around the perimeter. If you find soft spots, that's more floor rot, and it could indicate much bigger problems.

From the pictures, this looks to be a clean unit in good shape for its age. The skin looks decent, as does the interior. For more information on what might be a reasonable price for this unit, be sure to read this page on RJ Dial's vintage Airstream website.

Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values

Good luck!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Since you asked, I see something that needs correcting right away, and have a question.
The thing I saw, is the white wall tires. Those are almost certainly passenger car tires, and are not adequate at all for a trailer. they only can be inflated to 35 psi, rather than 65, and have a load rating roughly half what is specified.
My question: Is that Astroturf on the floor, or a green rough shag carpet?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I have a 73 & a 77 Overlander,1 has the dual twins,the other has the double midship,I like them both.I would look at the axle swing arm,it should be pointing down a few degrees,looks like the axles may be shot,with the arm level or in the upward position.Around $2000. for 2 axles.Overall it`s a nice looking trailer.Good luck.Dave
P.S.remember the 69 does not have gray tank.
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:07 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

mansfield , Ohio
Thanks for taking the time to comment,,
UTee94; Thanks for the tip on inspecting soft spots. Do you know of a way to find out if it might be a big problem, like Frame rot, other than maybe beating on the bottom of the belly pan and listing for loose sounding rust?

Overlander 63; good call on the tire rating, I didn’t even think about that, I was too caught up in the AutoZone hubcaps. The owner did say the he had the tires replaced with used ones Because of dry rot. Oh, I was told it is the factory shag carpet.

Easyride; Thanks for the axle tip. In you mind is the midship double bed large enough for two adults? From what I have found out is AS didn’t come out with the gray water holding tank till 74 ish, which leads me to a question. Is the Black tank large enough to run the sink and bath water into, or is that out of the question?
Old 04-27-2009, 06:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
which one?

I had a 76 and it was nice. If yours is anything like the pics suggest its a consideration. Open up and look inside all the outside compartment doors...that shows a problem or condition unseen from above. The bed set up is great for two folks....big folks at that. I 69 won't have a gray tank and the black tank does not collect gray water and you really don't want it to. The 76 has one. Learn how to live with either one. Parts for the 69 are unique in many instances...prepare for that. Ylour at the best site here for info and most of it is right under the "search" tab above.....in the blue banner. Good luck...as always, send pictures.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
welcome

Welcome to the forums. We have a rear bath '74, similar but not identical to the '76. The soft spot on the floor could be due to a few different things, which side of the commode is it on? Towards the back? Next to the water heater?

When you go to physically inspect the trailer, I suggest that you take a flashlight and a small hand mirror and look in two areas in particular. Open the rear access hatch and carefully inspect the condition of the plywood all along the perimeter, for as far as you can see and feel. Look along the walls for any signs of water having traveled down the walls towards the floor.

Next open the door to the storage compartment behind the rear bumper. If there is stuff stored in there, you'll need to get it all out. About 2 to 3 inches forward of the piano hinge for the door, you should see some pieces of galvanized sheet metal that form the front side of the storage box. Look very closely at the metal channel at the top of the sheet metal pieces, that's a very important structural member, the hand mirror can help here.

Also look at the condition of the framing members at the bottom of those pieces, they keep the black and grey water tanks in place. If you see any rust, I would ask the owner to remove those pieces (it should take drilling out a couple rivets, which can easily be replaced) and let you see the condition of the framing.

Another potential problem area is at the other end of the trailer. Remove the gaucho cushions and look to see if leaks from the front windows have created any soft spots in the floor

If everything looks good and sound, you most likely have a trailer that will need some minor projects, but should be a source of fun and enjoyment. Best of luck.

Laird
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
inspectors

One other option to consider is the inspector search function on the "Portal" page. You can find members willing to inspect in the state where the Overlander is in now. Just a thought.

Laird
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpig32 View Post
Hi..
I understand the 76’s were built by a food company and they were cutting some corners making things weaker than some

coffee can size soft spot by the commode
Maybe there was bottom line factor but another factor is the Beatrice years Airstreams were meant to be lighter. Lighter can be good. It wasn't a bunch of chefs on the production line. Beatrice just owned the Airstream business.

If the soft spot is not too big it can be patched. More serious is if the soft spot is where the floor meets the wall, especially in the rear end. The 70s models are more prone to rear end sag/ separation. If this is a problem I would probably pass on this one. From the photos the coach looks pretty straight.

Anticipate replacing at least some of the appliances and maybe axles. The trailer seems to sit high enough that the axles may be OK.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Welcome

I think it is a nice looking trailer! Terry is spot on about the tires, I was distracted by the wheel covers myself.

If you get it, after the tires one of the first things I would do is ad a rockguard like this http://www.inlandrv.com/catalog/imag...-rockguard.jpg to protect the front glass. My center one (My 1983 Excella has a 3 piece system) has a small hole near the top street side corner. It was that way when I bought the Excella and I plan to replace it. The window is fine though, it did its job.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
I would look at the axle swing arm,it should be pointing down a few degrees,looks like the axles may be shot,with the arm level or in the upward position.Around $2000. for 2 axles.Overall it`s a nice looking trailer.

Based on ride height (the aluminum moulding is higher than the tops of wheel rims) the axles are probably just fine. Henschen changed the torsion material about 1974, and later axles don't seem to have the sagging problem.

The interior of that trailer (notwithstanding the carpet) appears all-original and in outstanding condition for the year. Clear coat is typical.

Yes, floor rot is your major concern, but at that age there are two types of trailers - those that have had the problems fixed and those that have not.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

mansfield , Ohio
Below is a link to some other pictures the owner was nice enough to take. I had asked for some of the axles, and the spot where the floor is soft and one of the trunk areas. Problem is my eye is not trained enough for the pictures to reveal much of anything to me.
Again, all comments pertaining to this overlander search welcome

Kodakgallery.com: Slideshow
Old 04-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

mansfield , Ohio
Lumatic; You spoke of rear end sag / separation. This is one of my biggest fears, well next to my family getting the SWINE flu. Seriously though I have been looking but have yet to find a way to check for this issue. Unless it is an obvious sag, dimpled alum panels, floor heaving how do you nonchalantly tell be sides distracting the owner to look the other why while you are jumping up and down on the bumper looking for separation every time you land back on the bumper??? Yeah, it may be foolish but I’m serious.
Thanks…
Old 04-28-2009, 06:27 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Don't try and hide the fact you are checking for rear end separation. Jump on the bumper. I see nothing wrong with that. Make a check list and just tell the owner that you are a total newbie and you have some friends that have given you a ckeck list of things to look for and just do it.

If he is serious about selling he won't mind, of course he probably wouldn't let you drop the belly pan, but the other stuff should be a problem.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:03 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpig32 View Post
Lumatic; You spoke of rear end sag / separation.
You can get a hint by looking at the caulking where the body meets the bumper. If there is no long horizontal cracks it's a good thing. The bumper bounce is the acid test. Make sure the rear stabilizer jacks are up.

I can't definitively tell about the axles from the photos. What is clear is they are not showing they are OK. Can't tell they are not either though. The fact that the owner did not have a photo of the arms suggests he doesn't know about axles, or does and is trying to hide something. From the axle there is a arm that comes off at an angle and attaches the wheel. Ideally that arm should have a downward angle. In the photos it looks like it is probably horizontal which may be OK or may be the axle is on the way south. Crawl under and take a peek. An upward angle is a bad thing. Another test is to jack up one side of the trailer. The wheel should stay in contact with the ground for at least 2" but 3" is more better. If it doesn't the rubber in the axles has hardened. Not a good thing.

What the photos do show is a lot of rust. The concern here would be frame weakness or damage. About the best you can do to check is a flashlight and mirror in the rear compartment, under the sink, and if there are any access areas in the belly pan. Find out what you can about the trailer's history and how it was stored. High humidity, road salt and sea salt air are killers.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

mansfield , Ohio
Update,
Seller sold the Overlander before I could get the chance to look at it.
Thanks for all your help, Ill keep searching.