Old 03-15-2007, 08:22 AM   #43
Rivet Master
1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Price of AS.

Originally Posted by Sky
yes, $60,000 will buy alot of airline tickets, rental cars, and lodging. Sometimes I think I am nuts even entertaining the idea of purchassing a late model airstream . Wish I could put my finger on exactly what is so appealing about streaming.
While purchasing a new one would be very strenuous on my budget, but getting out of SOB and getting into AS is something I always wanted to do.
Why, may be most difficult to explain unless you own one. Purchased a used one, put a lot of money into it, over 400 hours of labor, but I am still happy for doing so. Now I just wait to finish the restoration, hook it up to my brand new GMC 2500 and tow it to Piney Point in Promised Land State Park and open up a bottle of wine. Thanks, "Boatdoc"

boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:47 AM   #44
Rivet Master
2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Originally Posted by kitfoxdriver
We have been interested in the Classic model for some time and noticed a significant increase in pricing of the '06 and '07 models in the Classic line. The reason, according to the dealer we spoke to, is Airstream is consolidating options that were available in the '05 to be included as standard features in the newer models. As an example, in '05 the standard features of the Classic were corion cabinet surfaces, oak cabinets, vinyl ceiling and walls, etc. and various other items I can't recall. If you chose the Limited Upgrade Package for $7,841, Burganndy exterior graphic/awning, gold accednt raised lettering on the exterior, hickory wood interior, electric stabilizer jacks, flag storage, acrylic entrance door handle, hardwood tabaletops and credenza top, jackets and caps would be included. A pretty pricey option!
Then, in 2006, a number (but not all) of the above items in the Limited Upgrade Package were offered as standard features (such as the hickory wood interior. These additional features increased the base price a hefty amount.
2007 Classics have included even more of the previously optional items as new standard features. Standard features now include awnigs on 3 sides, oil rubbed bronze bath accessories, ultra leathr lounge and dinette, 10 cu.ft. refrigerator, galley and bath skylights, flag storage box, and other features I failed to mention.
All the above items were included in orders after 11/06 and boosted the base price by about 4+%. It appears Airstream may be continuing to incorporate more of the items offered as optional features in previous years to standard items in future year models.
All the above according to dealerspeak...IF that is true, then why is Airsteam doing this? Any thoughts out there?
Kit--We purchased an 06 30' Classic Jan 2006. The MSRP was $ 69,995. The MSRP for an 07 Classic is $80,383, a $10,358 increase. I agree they have some features standard now that were optional in 06, the limited package being the biggest. That said not all previous Limited features are included in the 07"s as they would have you think. The ultra leather lounge and dinnette, 10 cu fridg, flag storage box, gally and bath skylights, spare tire and wheel, electric stablizer jacks are not standard on the 07's. As to awnings they have been standard on standard Classic since at least 05 and maybe sooner and the Destinctive Red awnings are no longer standard on the Limited Classic's. As I see it the only thing that you get for the $10,300 is hickory cabinets, a plastic entrance handle,and some different kitchen and bath fixtures, hardly valued at $10k. Add to that some of us have no use for the items listed in the prievious Limited package even if they were still available. Now the standard no frills Classic is not available.-----pieman

Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #45
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Not to mention that in 5 years, that 6 figure total could be worth more than half....... unless you are a fulltimer, have money to burn, looking at preowned unit or gettng a smaller unit and investing the remainder is a better bet at the dollar we're talkin' about.

Dealers will say, yea, an Airstream is a great investment...years later it'll be worth more than the other brands.......but if you do the math, they loose as much value in the first 5 years as adjusting for the economies of scale of the SOBs. An Airstream is not a house, and will depreciate rapidly the first 5 years, not to mention wear and tear on a moving house on wheels.
Depreciation is a relative thing. If you live long enough and take excellent care of your Airstream it may be worth more than you paid for it when you pass it on to the grandchildren - or sell it some 25 years or so later! The thing about Airstreams is that theyre just about the only RV actually capable of that kind of lifespan! The only other item I've personally had that kind of luck with was another aluminum icon - the Grumman canoe. I bought two of them new back about 1971. When I sold them in 1985 they were as good as new and I actually made a profit. There have been several yachts (Hatteras comes to mind,) as well as several smaller boats (Boston Whaler) where the purchasers were able to sell at a profit within five years. Back in the 70's Hatteras and Bertram were actually considered to be better investments than most blue chip stocks! As for the AS, you just have to write maintenance off as a "labor of love," balanced by the "joy of ownership" - and a fat bank account!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote