Old 01-29-2007, 02:05 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky
yes, $60,000 will buy alot of airline tickets, rental cars, and lodging. Sometimes I think I am nuts even entertaining the idea of purchassing a late model airstream . Wish I could put my finger on exactly what is so appealing about streaming.
Plus you have all "your" equipment at risk. If it makes you fell better boats are worse.

Thanks Jim

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:31 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Classic
Livingston , Terry
Red face Price increase of the 07' Classic

As a full-timer (since THE hurricane), I was looking at one remaining 25' Classic on Bates lot in Tampa and comparing those options and prices to the 07's on the lot, of the same size. Whew, they were blowing me away!! The 06' listed with an optional skylight- Galley with Shade ($355), and spare tire ($ 191), the list was $62,813. Whew! So when I looked at the comprably equipped 07' and it was over $75,000, I knew which unit to 'talk' to them about. With that price increase in only one model year, it scares me to think what prices will be like 5 years from now.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:32 PM   #31
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
New vs Vintage

Did any of you guys, that are buying new, entertain the idea of having someone restore a vintage instead of buying a late model? With the unreal prices of new models, it seems that you could probably get a high quality restore for a more reasonable price. Comments?
Old 02-04-2007, 01:18 PM   #32
Craftsman

Sky , vintage is always a good possabilty. But... if you truly want to bring it up to top standards and condition you're still going to spend a LOT of money. I sold a 94 Classic for under $15,000.00. If the new owners wanted to pay someone to finish the polish job, upgrade the curtains and shades, new carpet,maybe some wood in the galley etc. That could be done for under another 10K.Now add new axles with disc brakes, more $$$?. If your paying someone to do the work at todays rates, labor alone will be in the thousands. It can add up fast and you still have a unit thats more than 10 years old. If that's O.K. with you and you don't mind working on it over time, that might be the way to go. Me personally, I wanted someting that had all the current features and didn't require any work. To answer your question I had both the 74 25' Classic and a 31" 76 Sovereign and every time I looked outside I knew to get them to where i would truly be happy with the finished result was going to take a tremendous amount of work and time, and time was the one thing with everything else in my life that I just didn't have. Plus from past experence, my standards are higher than most of the people that I would even consider paying to work on my Airstream. There are qualified people out there but I do think that they are few and far between. Now with the 2007 25' Classic I was able to add a few things from the factory that weren't standard, I got what I really wanted and now I can take my time and look for a nice small (16'?) vintage unit that I can take my time with and feel no pressure to get it on the road.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:15 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pensacola , Florida
just recieved the latest order forms from jacksoncenter for safari which contain the current msrp...price increase for the basic safari 25 rear bedroom from $44,125 to $47,648???

looks like if i buy an as, it will be a used one!!!

crunched some numbers...can buy a same size sob from rv wholesalers, trade it in every 5 years for the next 20 years and come out ahead financialy and have a new trailer every 5 years...duh???what to do???a no brainer???see ya,would want to be ya!!!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:22 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
But... you would just be condemned to owning a [box] for the next 20 years.
Do the right thing.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:32 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Beaver Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Dawson
rumor has it AS has had a price increase...anyone have the latest???
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Dawson
rumor has it AS has had a price increase...anyone have the latest???

Yes, base prices increased effective 11/16/06 on all models. I can, however, only give you specific info.about the 2007 Classic FB model since that is the model we just ordered.

On 01/28/07 in this thread, I cut and pasted information that Colonial Airstream summarized regarding the optional items to standard features, etc... The Colonial Airstream summary is a very good and accurate representation of the changes from 05/06 to 11/06. I verified the accuracy of this information via the Airstream factory.

The MSRP base price of the Classic FB on 5/15/06 was $73,633. On 11/16/06 the price was adjusted to $77,273, a difference of $3,640, or 4.9%.
HOWEVER, with the price adjustment in 11/06 some optional items listed on the 5/06 price sheet became standard items on the 11/06 price sheet. The items moved from optional items to standard items were patio awnings r.s and rear., skylights, and spare tire. The total cost of these items listed on the 5/06 price sheet was $1,640, thus reducing the 11/06 base price by $1,640, lowering the 11/06 percent increase to 2.65 from 4.9%. Also, there were other small changes and improvements in quality such as changing the 19” television to a 23” television if the A/V upgrade was selected.

Thanks to those who offered advice regarding front panoramic vs. no panoramic. Our decision was to go with the panoramic. I know, lots of potential heat/cold gain, but wanted the views and “openness” offered by the panos. We are planning to take delivery in the middle of April.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:32 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Nice post and great choice. The panos on both ends really do add to the open feeling, and make the outdoors part of the design. Much less claustrophobic, and adds a lot to the confined space. Pulling the curtains is an easy solution to privacy problems.
Happy trails,

Janet
Old 03-14-2007, 06:45 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Centerburg , Ohio
Being a 3 generation camper, and looking back over what my parent spent on 8 or 10 lower priced units in the 25 years they camped after retirement, they would have bought 2 Airstreams and had far less problems on the road, such as cracked shackles, cracked door frames, and front window leaks to mention a few. I am looking for Airstream to be my last trailer I ever buy and last 25 or 30 years. I also found with the cheaper model trailers, bearing maintenance, rubber roof maintenance, etc as you get older could become almost impossible. I asked myself and my wife if I can keep all that maintenance work up as I get older. I am hoping with no shackels, 100k bearings, disc brakes, etc, this will save my body a lot of wear and tear. Maybe I am dreaming.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlo57
Being a 3 generation camper, and looking back over what my parent spent on 8 or 10 lower priced units in the 25 years they camped after retirement, they would have bought 2 Airstreams and had far less problems on the road, such as cracked shackles, cracked door frames, and front window leaks to mention a few. I am looking for Airstream to be my last trailer I ever buy and last 25 or 30 years. I also found with the cheaper model trailers, bearing maintenance, rubber roof maintenance, etc as you get older could become almost impossible. I asked myself and my wife if I can keep all that maintenance work up as I get older. I am hoping with no shackels, 100k bearings, disc brakes, etc, this will save my body a lot of wear and tear. Maybe I am dreaming.
I like your thinking...of course any new RV will have some issues, and as they age even more problems as you have suggested, but you are very correct when you take the next logical step and decide to buy an Airstream. When there is a problem, it will be fixable, and your aluminum icon will be worth keeping instead of trading. They are not perfect, but they get better with age, just like the owners.

Time
Old 03-14-2007, 11:56 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlo57
When the Mrs. and I decided to et a travel trailer we went over all of the math. We factored years of proposed camping and costs of varius makers.

We figured we'd be happier with the same trailer as opposed to a string of trailers and we really could just not stand the white boxes. I mean they were cheesey grimm.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:47 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Showin' Off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
When the Mrs. and I decided to et a travel trailer we went over all of the math. We factored years of proposed camping and costs of varius makers.

We figured we'd be happier with the same trailer as opposed to a string of trailers and we really could just not stand the white boxes. I mean they were cheesey grimm.
Oh yes! There are some elegant mohos out there, but the majority look like rolling ho' houses... gaudy rather than refined. The SOB trailers as a whole are beyond cheesy grim! They just scream "tacky" "cheap" and "built to last 90 days or 90 miles whichever comes first."

Every person who has ever looked inside my Safari FB SE just goes silent and gently reaches up and strokes the aluminum interior in a zen-like trance. They don't want to leave. Almost every one of them says "someday I'll have one..."

I'll put the rear dinette down into bed position and invite a few of the women over for wine and cheese... we put our feet up and talk... then hubby stops over to get his wife and he lingers for 45 minutes talking himself into the idea that an Airstream is actually "practical" and you watch his eyes lingering on the curved ceiling.

It isn't logical it's organic. After a year I still find that straight walls and flat ceilings are alien and strange... must be a hobbit hole thing.

Paula
Old 03-15-2007, 04:56 AM   #41
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
"rolling ho' houses!" Well said!

I've just moved my 1986 Sovereign to it's summer pitch. On arrival, a couple came out to see it. She thought it was new, he disagreed and asked me it's year of manufacture. When I told him he said, "Jesus! you wouldn't SEE a 1986 caravan! The clear suggestion being that the UK SOBs just don't last that long! Alot of people want new! I will never argue with or criticize them because they're the good people who start the life of an Airstream - they birth it! Lol! The rest of us are foster parents, friends or geriatric care workers! Lol!
BTW, the choice of a new Airstream gets no easier in the UK! The UK variant 23' will be available if you have $ 90,000.
God bless those people who can afford one!
Marc
Old 03-15-2007, 07:42 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
A/c

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitfoxdriver

Thanks to those who offered advice regarding front panoramic vs. no panoramic. Our decision was to go with the panoramic. I know, lots of potential heat/cold gain, but wanted the views and “openness” offered by the panos. We are planning to take delivery in the middle of April.

I think you made the right decision on the windows. Heat will be an issue, but it can be overcome. You can have the factory put a 15k A//C unit in, either instead of the 13.5 or in addition to the 13.5. They may not offer dual a/c's on a 27', but you could check. I do think they will put the larger unit in by itself, though. It's not too late to make a order change. We had the factory install a dome satellite, and had less than two weeks to go.

We have dual a/c's in our 34', and heat is never an issue. Even camping in New Mexico in Mid-July, our rig is a pleasant 77 deg.

Congratulations, and happy camping.

________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote