Old 02-21-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Red face Just offered...

Placed my 1971 27' Overlander on the market. Received 2 inquiers while on the road and a looker while in storage. Like to keep it but needs exterior work: stairs, cosmetics, etc. Interior updated but mostly org. Price listed at $6700. I can't fix it on my property so I must store it. Want another one in better shape. Is the price right or too cheap?

Old 02-21-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Talking pictures please

Please post pictures. what you say is bad may not be to someone else.
Bob

Old 02-21-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
price sounds a little high based on your description. maybe some of the overlander owners will chime in.

check out this link;

Price vs. Condition - Airstream Values

good luck!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Being on the search for an Overlander myself, I would say you can't be too high if people are looking! See what happens and what type of feedback you get from these folks. You can always lower your asking price but can never raise it. I'm still looking for that elusive 1958-60!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Being on the search for an Overlander myself, I would say you can't be too high if people are looking! See what happens and what type of feedback you get from these folks. You can always lower your asking price but can never raise it. I'm still looking for that elusive 1958-60!
Rick is right, you can't raise the price but you can always lower it if you have to. The important thing is to get it off the market quickly or people will think there's something wrong with it. I had a couple of cars I sold in the past where I realized too late I was selling too low but had already accepted an offer and honoring my word meant more than a few bucks in my pocket. But I still kick myself from time to time.

Barry
Old 02-21-2007, 11:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Your trailer for sale

Did you post it on the classified section on this forum? Pictures would help a great deal.....it is so hard to tell what the trailer might be worth without seeing it as well as knowing what things you have done and think still need to be done......pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
As they used to say about Japanese pilots toward the end of WWII,

"The eager are not experienced, and the experienced are not eager."

Unless it has been meticulously taken care of, or has already had some quality restoration done to it, it may very well be a can of worms. (The size of the can depends on the unit. Being in a dry climate is certainly a point in its favor.)

It is in the "get burned" range IMHO, but the market should certainly fetch $6K for a decent shell with all systems intact.

I paid $4500 for a '72 Overlander back in '04 with all orig appliances (working) and furniture. The seller would not accept less, as he certainly would have sold it to someone else if I hadn't bought it. (It did have a scar on one of the rear corner panels which I eventually filled and painted.)

Anyway, I became well acquainted with rear floor rot, frame repair/resto, 2-part epoxy paint bathroom refinishing, and all that stuff within the next 3 months. None of this was particularly obvious when I purchased (though I should have looked closer). I gave it away two years later for $7K.

My point is, it may be a bit steep for the experienced Airstream owner (forum members), but the market determines the price, not us.

Get as much as you can!
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Maryville , Tennessee
Good point Ron... paid $6K for my Safari 23 and feel like I got Burned...Rear Floor Rot, Furnace, Axles, Tires, etc... But then again I couldn't find a Safari 23 for any less..so it was what in line with the market at the current time.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:05 PM   #9
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by niftypkg
Placed my 1971 27' Overlander on the market. Received 2 inquiers while on the road and a looker while in storage. Like to keep it but needs exterior work: stairs, cosmetics, etc. Interior updated but mostly org. Price listed at $6700. I can't fix it on my property so I must store it. Want another one in better shape. Is the price right or too cheap?
It sounds to me like a high end reasonable price IF the axles are in very good condition and the appliances are as well, AND if there have been no major modifications to the interior. Also the floor ought to be in good shape for that asking price.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Very good axles on a '71?
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:20 AM   #11
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I don't think it's high $$$.

In fact I think that any unit that has been restored ot rebuilt is being sold too cheap.

If you take your 200-400 hours at $50 an hour plus your parts and org cost, that should be your starting point.

These units should sell for $15,000 and up.

I saw the new ones at 40-80K

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:53 AM   #12
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets

In fact I think that any unit that has been restored ot rebuilt is being sold too cheap.
Perhaps I misread the first post, but as I understand it this unit has not been restored. I read it to be a coach in basically orginal conditon + age with some interior mods. On that basis I said I thought it to be on the moderately high end. Having said that, if you can sell a unit for more, all the better.

If I did misread the conditon of the camper, then I would agree. When I get my Trade Wind restored, you would have to come with a BIG chunk of change to get me to part with it.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Great advice from all. Thanks. My take: If I sell it OK. If I don't I would continue to work on it as best I can. Problem: I HAVE to store it. Besides the cost $$ I can't do much with it. Axels: Just returned from a 3000 trip. I bought it about 5 years ago sight unseen but it was ready to travel and on the way to my destination. Out side repairs: Not at $65/$85 hour. Then who reallly can fix them correctly? Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:21 AM   #14
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Pets

If you take your 200-400 hours at $50 an hour plus your parts and org cost, that should be your starting point.

These units should sell for $15,000 and up.

I saw the new ones at 40-80K
Should and will are a bit different.

I am still trying to figure out how in the world a new unit costs over $65k and I can purchase and completely refurbish a similar sized unit for around $20k there does not appear to be $45k worth of materials in there to me. I realize you have profit margins and all that as well as the dealer's profits etc. Eventually people may move to paying $15k-$30k for a well reconditioned/restored unit. They pretty well do on the smaller trailers. Biggest current problem I see are the number of scam artists out there taking advantage of the situation...

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote