Old 02-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Originally Posted by niftypkg
Sounds like you lucked out S. Camel. At $1500 you can put mucho in it and not reach its' current value. Mine had extensive work: couches, carpet and tambourr doors, tires and hitch. I needed something that I could move immediately. Lots of other coaches but many miles away. This one was on my route. Probably paid too much for it 5 years ago but it was either that or a hotel that Winter. Half the fun in owning it is restoring it and pride in owning it. It turns out to be a love hate relationship.
You used the trailer a long time; you got 5 years of use out of it you probably retrieved any value loss and then some...what would it cost to rent a nice AS in that shape? I think you may have done much better than you seem to think on the deal when time factors and use is thrown in, even weighed against upgrades/repairs etc.

Including the tires, furnace, water heater, new lights, new upolstry, vents and yet undiscovered things--plumbing fittings!, some additional electric etc., Oh yeah, I will have a few thousand into it, but it is a fun hobby. I would like to take it on the road for a couple of years when I retire, that's a ways off yet, but it is sort of a purpose for the hobby. Sort of go to Las Vegas from Wisconsin, by way of North Carolina. I suppose by then I will need nex axles (add a couple more$$$$!). Even if I change my mind for some reason, I would still get my $ back, but I would not have the use time you had.

I know what you mean about that L/H realtionship with the AS. Just one or tow nice clear quiet nights (and not having to put up a tent), or the nice sound of rain on the roof (and I don't have to put up a tent), or when when the temperature takes a nose dive (and I don't have to put up a tent); any of those times are worth some solid $ but it would be tough to scale the value.

Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member
1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
You are right Camel. That is why I just spent this day under the trailer rust proofing it.( After it was sandblasted) Axle carrier was rusted badly and I wanted the AS to survive. Next reason: New ones are $55M. I kind of like 'old' quality and where does one buy tambour doors in a trailer? I have 19 of them. Although I could sell it for more than I paid ,I put $5000 worth of labor in it Non-refundable. Priced a pop-up lately? I sold a headache pop-up for $4500 and bought my AS for the same price!

There is Something Worse than Dying--- That is NOT LIVING !!!
PERFECT Trailer- Dog loves it- Wife hates it!!! You're not camping until you're miserable!
niftypkg is offline   Reply With Quote