Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2008, 01:24 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1968 24' Tradewind
Spokane Valley , Washington
Question Is this 62' Bambi reasonably priced??

I need help!! I have my eye on an airstream Bambi's but it seems to be priced too high or maybe I'm wrong.

It is a 1962 16' bambi. The selling price is $10.000. It has two soft spots, one by the door and the other in the bathroom. It does not have the original stove/fridge but has been replaced with a newer model. Also the propane water heater does not work. The cabinets have been painted but other than that in good shape. There is a tear in the shell panel over one of the wheel wells. Someone tried to fix it by riveting it. One other thing, it has been sitting for 6 years and needs some attention before it can be pulled.

We have not gone to see it due to the distance. So the info I have is from e-mail correspondence.

Do you think $10,000 is a reasonable price?

Thanks,

Jenni
robertandjenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:08 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Is it worth it?????

Take a look at this, it may help you in your decision.

Vintage Airstream Home check the Restoration Resources tab

TB
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:02 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Seems high

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertandjenni View Post
I need help!! I have my eye on an airstream Bambi's but it seems to be priced too high or maybe I'm wrong.

It is a 1962 16' bambi. The selling price is $10.000. It has two soft spots, one by the door and the other in the bathroom. It does not have the original stove/fridge but has been replaced with a newer model. Also the propane water heater does not work. The cabinets have been painted but other than that in good shape. There is a tear in the shell panel over one of the wheel wells. Someone tried to fix it by riveting it. One other thing, it has been sitting for 6 years and needs some attention before it can be pulled.

We have not gone to see it due to the distance. So the info I have is from e-mail correspondence.

Do you think $10,000 is a reasonable price?

Thanks,

Jenni
The Bambi is very sought after and that will certainly drive the price up, but if the floor is soft and there is shell damage then the cost of repair should be taken into consideration. Floor replacement, cabinet refinishing, plus repairs otherwise would certainly run you another $10K, IMHO. Having been through that process recently, I'm being ultra conservative on that number.

These old trailers are very cool, but are speciality items. If you're not handy buyer beware. Move onto something that has been mostly done and you're just putting curtains in.

Doug

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I agree...seems high for the condition to me. Bambi or not ~ but then, someone will probably buy it at that ~ seems the name "Bambi" gets people all excited ~

Check this out: Price vs Condition

Do yourself a favor, read the whole webpage to b\put the numbers in context. Doug is right on target with the estimated $$$ on a restoration including body and floor work, if anything a little low.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1968 24' Tradewind
Thank you all for you input. I checked out the site TB gave me and the price vs. condition page and according to it, the trailer is priced too high. I will try and offer them a lower price. I think they will decline it because as Shari (InsideOut) puts it people see Babmi and they get all excited!!

Jenni
Old 07-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Jenni,
I agree with the others on this. I had looked at another '61 Bambi going for 8,000 before I bought mine. It was most likely worth the price as it was all original and had only one owner. Everything appeared in good order, shell also. Yours sound more like the one I purchased for just under $4000. And had I know then what I know now I might have only paid a little over $3000.

I am, however quite pleased with mine. i have not had to redo any floor. Yay!

Good luck and keep searching. There is one out there for you.

Oh, and the tear in the wheel well probably means it needs a new axle, (can't get tire out easily and tears wheel well) which after 40 plus years should be replaced anyway.
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #7
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Quite possibly the tear above the wheel well is from a tire blowout. Could be from a bad axle or just a worn out tire. I agree with all above, the price is too high, Bambi or not. It will require some work on either your or a professional's part and these fixes will take time and money.

Good luck.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
If this is the one in Seattle, it's been listed off and on for a while. I think they might be asking a bit much, but it all depends on how badly you want it, and your confidence in your ability to work on it's problems. Bambi's don't come up for sale all that often, so it's all a matter of how bad do you want it.

I had a Bambi a few years ago. It was darned cute, but my Caravel was a much better layout. I ended up selling the Bambi after only a few months when i realized we would never choose it over the Caravel. That extra foot of length made a big difference!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Not the same, but I rant into an original 57 Bubble last Sunday that has an asking price of $10,000. It was hand polished in a shop, but it needs an awful lot of work to be ready. This person gave $8000 for it, and spent $2,000 in gas to retrieve it. There are a few cracked windows, holes in the body that need to be patched, new cabinets needed on the interior, etc.

Some people just don't want to budge from what they have in them. It all depends on circumstance. Find someone down on their luck, and the price drops lower.

Steve
Old 07-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1968 24' Tradewind
Stephanie,It is the one in Seattle. She sent me more pictures, showing the things I listed in the first post (tear, replacement fridge, painted cabinets ect.). We could do the work but doesn't seem worth it for that price. I think it is way too high and we just found a caravel for really cheap. So hopefully I can buy the Caravel instead. Wish me luck!!Jenni
Old 07-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Good luck! We LOVE our Caravel, in fact last year we had the opportunity to sell it and buy a beautifully redone TW that we knew was excellent in every way - and we passed. We just love the Caravel too much!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Good Luck...Jenni We first started wanting a Bambi...they are "cute". I do agree
Caravel might be your better choice. We could NOT locate a Bambi or a Caravel when we were searching.

We found the 20 ft Globetrotter and are very happy. You will find one at a price you want to pay and you will enjoy it. If it is an Airstream....you will "love it". Have fun searching. Aria
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote