Old 06-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by szym9341 View Post

Here's a shot of it when I pulled it originally pulled it out.
Ouch....I would think the ribs would be damaged even if the roof had been (Pulled) out.

Steve

Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
dragn'wagon... how did it get all of those dents, etc... well... as far as I know this Airstream sat as a hunting camp in the middle of the Upper Peninsula for the past 30 or so years. It smelled and had dead mice in the sink. I suppose a branch fell on the roof at some point, then years of 4'+ of snow on the roof finally caused it to cave in a bit. The old owner must have popped it out a few times.

Well that explains alot as my Father-in-Law is a born and raised Yooper. But I'll bet the radio still works!

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I would have an interest in this AS. I couldn't restore her but I would use the outer shell. I've been looking for a small cool looking trailer to carry my bikes, dog pen & other assorted items. I would mount the shell on a newer trailer. A square utility trailer just doesn't look right behind a classic MH.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #32

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
How on earth did you pull it out?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:10 AM   #33
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
now if my client brought me that trailer and told me the story, showed me that photo, and said "restore it for me" I would now ask for $40k for the first third...

Yes, Viking anything is possible. However now that trailer is a template for building a new one.

Someone will want it. They will launch in and realize what they have gotten into. A PT Barnum quote keeps rolling through my head.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:41 AM   #34
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
dragn'wagon... how did it get all of those dents, etc... well... as far as I know this Airstream sat as a hunting camp in the middle of the Upper Peninsula for the past 30 or so years. It smelled and had dead mice in the sink. I suppose a branch fell on the roof at some point, then years of 4'+ of snow on the roof finally caused it to cave in a bit. The old owner must have popped it out a few times.

Looks like the Oscar Myer Weinercar...! That doesn't look like a branch hit it, more like the whole dang trunk! And you still took this on to refurb... Wow!
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:47 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

R , Michigan
Stefrobrts - I just hooked it up to the hitch, pulled it to the road, added air to the tires and started driving. After reading the forums I found out it was quite foolish to hop on the highway and drive 55 MPH for 1.5 hours without even thinking about the axle.

I agree with 62overlander... this is just a template.

As a kid I visited the Henry Ford Museum a lot. It was there that I fell in love with the little Airstream that they had on display... fast forward a few years and I pick out this thing from a field, not knowing anything about Airstreams, just to find out that it is the same model/year that is on display at the H.F. Musuem.

After reading for hours last night about frame work and axle work I've realized that the only way to do anything with this is to start with a new frame... I'm just starting to look at those options... designs (Are there any ready built frames that I can buy, then modify, that will save me from designing and welding the entire thing from scratch?)
Old 06-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
The frame will need to be 100% custom made to fit this trailer. It is pretty imperative that it is spot on do ensure the monocoque design functions the same.

Steve
Old 06-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

R , Michigan
Thanks for the information. Do you know of any links that discuss one's journey from a pipe frame to a custom frame? Design elements, proportions, examples, etc...?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Southlake , Texas
szym99341,

Hey, that's a cool find! I have a 1947 Liner, it began life with a pipe frame. It now sits on a nice steel ladder style frame. I did not do the work, but I can recommend a fantastic restorer who could do the job. His name is Jimmy Cates, he is the proprietor of Home - Twisted Silver Customs there you can find a link to the complete frame up restoration of my Liner. There is a lot of planning involved with a venture like this but, I can tell you it is well worth it. I'm currently working on a slide show of the complete buildup of my trailer. The most important part of a customized trailer is the chassis and frame. If you don't have these things correct the rest, in my opinion is a waste of money. So my suggestion is, take your time, decide what your looking for in a trailer and do it right the first time. I bought the first Airstream I looked at and fortunately for me, it was a super rare one like you have. I found the perfect person for the job to restore it and the rest is history. Our Liner is absolutely the perfect trailer to suit our needs. We are a family of four with a medium sized tow vehicle (Buick Enclave) and really good taste, the older the better

Whatever you decide how you will use it and the means you have available to you (Cash, time, mechanical skills etc.) and work your thought process backwards. What I did was first buy the trailer (kinda a mistake but in hindsight it worked out ok) figure out how you'll use it or if you'll use it. How many people will use it? Where you'll use it? What will tow it? (the beauty of vintage is anything can tow it )

All of these answers will help you decide how to proceed. I for example knew I wanted something COOL!, got it, then I determined in order for my family to enjoy it this millennium I was going to have to have someone else restore it, the kids won't think it's cool by the time I would finish it. I also wanted specific details in the trailer and designed the layout around these. For example an A/C was a must so, through this forum, i found the Art Cool to be the perfect solution.

So the long winded point I'm making is take your time and do it right. You'll be rewarded in the end trust me. My wife says we're campground "Rockstars" when we pull into a campground. Thanks Jimmy!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Frame1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	82437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pipe Frame.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	82438  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9557.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	498.8 KB
ID:	82442  
Old 06-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

R , Michigan
Wow, thanks for the reply 'oldtruck. I'm starting the process of figuring out costs to have a new frame built, with axle. I'm leaning towards a complete strip down and rebuilt, but at the same time I'm shopping for a mid-60's unit to compares overall costs... decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the link to Twisted Silver Custom. Can't wait for your slideshow!
Old 06-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #40
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
As you go through your process I can help you with any detailed measurements or photos of this one 1949Trailwind5054 My friend Jerry owns it and he has promised I will be the next owner. I am waiting very patiently. It is 100% original and complete.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Massachusetts
oldtrucksrul - Nice slide show on your web site. Looks fantastic! Could you tell us a bit more about the process? How long did it take. How much should I budget if I go down this route?
Old 06-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
and monocoque means????
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
The frame will need to be 100% custom made to fit this trailer. It is pretty imperative that it is spot on do ensure the monocoque design functions the same.

Steve

76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1949, trailwind