Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ocean Park , Washington
Is a '77 Argosy worth $6,800?

I am going to look at a 1977 Argosy for sale for $6,800. As far as I can tell from the pictures it is somewhere in the Average Condition category based on the link below. I still have to see it in person to get an idea of what the condition is but I just want to know if this price is in a reasonable range for the year and possible condition. My dad owns an RV park and has two airstreams himself and he will come with me to determine what its condition is but he is inexperienced in what condition is worth what price. Can anyone give me any advice here? Thank you.

http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_t...condition.html
anna.kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
First I'm no expert on Argosys. Assuming you are talking TT and not MH it sounds very high if in "average" condition. Probably even high for an AS. From my limited experience Argosys generally don't have the market value as AS.

Incidentally, I had a chance to buy an unrestored El Rey for a grand last summer. El Rey was a 50s Airstream lookalike from a small company with limited production only in business for a few years. Did a little research and although somewhat unique seemed to be a chancy so I let it go. There is a El Rey on ebay now with a buy it now price of 50K. I think the guy is nuts, but I will kick myself if he sells it anywhere near that asking price.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Maybe - most especially if it is a smaller one. What model?
Argosy minuet? What length?
Standard argosy - what length?

Minuets in particular are fetching high pricesd becasue they are so light wieght and often have aluminum floors.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Minuets in particular are fetching high pricesd becasue they are so light wieght and often have aluminum floors.
Significantly lighter than comparable size AS?
Old 11-16-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
Significantly lighter than comparable size AS?
Yes. A Six metre Minuet (20 feet) weighs 2400 lbs. They were built to be pulled by family sedans and even though they were considerd a budget unit at the time, they were built to appeal to a younger crowd - they had simpler, cleaner appointments then their Airstream counterparts. It saved a lot of weight. So did the aluminum floor and countertops (even if they were covered in ugly orange formica).

I guess their weights were comparable to the fifties and early sixties vintage units but in the seventies, they were the lightest thing on the lot.

AirForums Custom Search
Old 11-16-2007, 07:46 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ocean Park , Washington
It is approx. 27' and I don't think it is a minuet. Also I think she may have told me it has an aluminum floor. Well if that is high what would be more reasonable?
Old 11-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Anna:

Perhaps it will help if some owners tell you what they paid for their ARGOSY.

I happily paid $7800 Canadian for mine about 30 months ago. On the other hand, I think Janet found one for $1000. recently.

It's safe to pay whatever you think it's worth to you.

Sergei

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...ase-18448.html
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
We looked at one in Southern Alberta 3 years ago. 24' if I remember right. Decent original shape, not perfect with a few things needing repair but nothing that would stop you from going camping the weekend you picked it up. I remember thinking the first place I'd tow it was the tire shop as he had car radials on it, almost brand new but the wrong tire regardless, and the propane tanks were expired so although half full they would need to be re-certified or replaced soon enough. All appliances worked, no tears in cushions and it was evident it had been used a lot but not abused. Linoleum had been replaced some time in the recent past, not a color I was fond of but at least it was done right and did not detract from the interior (too much). They really liked the trailer and everything about it and were very sad to see it go.

He was firm on $6K Canadian the first time I looked. Several months later when we were back for a family gathering I noticed it was still there. He'd bought bigger to accommodate family additions, and was now anxious to sell so was at $5k Canadian and open to reasonable offers. My brother knows the dealer he bought his bigger unit from and learned they'd offered him very little on a trade. There was something about the awning but I can't remember what it was now.

I do not know what it finally went for but it sat for a long time. I suspected I could have picked it up by fall in the 3K range.

It's fall so there's a smaller market in the WA area - most people start the real hunt in spring so I'd be tempted to offer low if it's one you want and you can always work your way up a ways. IMHO 3 to 5 K is acceptable for a trailer you can pretty much go camping in.

Argosy's are neat trailers and you can paint them instead of having to polish. So far everyone I've met with an Argosy loves them, as they should.

Barry
Old 11-16-2007, 09:11 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ocean Park , Washington
The thing is that I want something that I can take on the road and live in daily for a couple of years with my family. I also would like to find something with in the next month or so although I know I shouldn't be in a hurry. I told them that I would be able to offer 5k but they came back with they wouldn't take less than $6,800 because they have had a lot of calls on it already. My husband and I are also considering a 2001 airstream at a dealer on consignment which we plan to look at next week. For that one they are asking 21k. We are in a position where we could reasonable afford one for 5k cash or finance one that has a value in nada (basically 1989 or newer) but not really willing to make more than a 20k purchase. Our biggest reason for wanting an airstream is because we could end up in snow country and regular trailers don't have snow worthy roofs like airstreams.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:34 PM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Anna - in order to give you any more realistic advice, we really need to know more about the trailer. What is the length or model? These trailers are measured from bumper to the tip of the hitch. The condition makes a big difference as well. We have purchased 2 argosys. One was really cheap but needs a lot of work and money spent to bring it back to life. The other was small and expensive. We still poured quite a bit of cash into it and labor.

Major repair items on a trailer include dented skins, leaks or rotted floors, axle replacements (will need to be done eventually on a mid 70's trailer), systems repairs and other items.

Do you have any pictures?

AirForums Custom Search
Old 11-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Anna,

Have you seen the one on Craigs list in east Vancouver, WA? If you check out the Caigs list thread it's shown there as well. Interesting Craigslist finds

It may be the same trailer? And getting calls and actually converting those to a sale are two different things.

As Janet noted, without knowing more about the trailer, it's extremely hard to put a value on it. If you are intending to live in it then it needs to be in extremely good condition to start with unless you've built in some time to go through it and repair anything that's not right before move in date.

Barry
Old 11-16-2007, 10:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Anna - it's post #58 on the Craigs list thread.

Barry
Old 11-16-2007, 10:57 PM   #13
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna.kerwin
... Our biggest reason for wanting an airstream is because we could end up in snow country and regular trailers don't have snow worthy roofs like airstreams.

hi anna

we love our argo'streams...

but you may be under the mistaken assumption that a/s are better winter trailers than other brands...

that simply isn't true.

an a/s can be used in the cold and snow but there are LOTS of issues...

they are thin walled and conduct cold through the walls...

so to keep warm inside a LOT of lp gas is gonna be used...

that also means you need a reliable furnace that can go the distance.

in addition u will likely need a LARGE external lp gas tank next to the trailer...

the 2 small tanks on most trailers will only last a few days in the cold...

unless your water line is heat taped you'll need to fill the fresh tank and stow the hose...

that means a tank large enough for the family needs...

same issue on holding tanks.

freezing pipes or external lines can happen.

with 3-4 people living inside moisture (condensation) is gonna be an issue.

venting the trailer daily AND using the furnace, just to keep it warm and dry inside.

a/s can be skirted but it's not as easy as some other brands.

many modern 5th wheels have larger water tanks, better/more insulation AND more living space...

many 5th wheel models are MADE to full time and withstand winter conditions

also your buying dollar will go much further for a 5er with 2-4 slides than for a pretty silver twink.

sure a/s have a curved roof but they still collect snow and it will need to be removed to use the vents regardless...

my intention isn't to discourage shopping for an a/s but just to suggest expanding your search to other better winter options....

here are a couple of threads to start with but read up on the 'winter living' section...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f462...ving-2738.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f462...eam-20597.html

best of luck...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:09 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
You really know Airstreams and Argosy. I have nearly froze in mine on several occassions in Windsor in mid April. The furness never shut off. My doggy slept under the covers, and she had a heavy fir coat.

Rae
raebaker06 is offline   Reply With Quote