Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-22-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
"The One" is out there
 
arandruska's Avatar
 
1975 31' Sovereign
Estes park , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 43
Images: 4
Ikea furniture remodel

This trailer looks stunning and has been remodeled with ikea carpentry. Does it seems like the trailer would be too heavy now? Has anyone done a remodel like this or have you seen a thread you could send my way? I'm trying to be a responsible shopper and find the right one. I dont want to fall into a trailer I cant fix.

Http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/rvs/3730461957.html

There's also a trailerthats more of theright price but needs somelove. When thepropane is turned on, you can smellitin the trailer. The owner said this is likely bc the pipe from the tank is cracked. Ihat a realitivly small fix or more like a weekend long project?

Thank you so much in advance for any feedback. I really appreciate your time.

Rob
__________________

__________________
arandruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,883
The weight on the Ikea remodel depends largely on how they did it. Some folks have reworked the frames to eliminate a lot of the weight - basically using the cabinet fronts. Open the drawers and look. Get a thorough tour from the owner - and take the unit to a scale and weigh it! Look for any signs that the frame has bent such as wrinkling around the wheel wells.

If it is close to the weight of the original factory weight... why not. Note: the under cabinet refrigerator - small capacity in a large trailer, But more counter space.

It's very nice to look at though I'm not a fan of the tile counter on the kitchen. And the kitchen faucet is overkill for a trailer.

Other unit with leaking propane. Nothing is more dangerous. How much to fix? Could be anything from
  • one loose fitting
  • one badly done conversion (say from a gas oven to a convection microwave, where some idiot just crimped the unused gas line instead of properly capping and sealing it
  • to a complete replacement of every pipe in the system plus an appliance or two
I'd pay for a professional's estimate before even considering this one.

When looking at a used Airstream "general care and maintenance history" is something to consider. The first one could be a cosmetic wonder with serious underlying issues - but has probably been "frame off". If the owner is truly proud of his work and knowledgeable... he'll have pictures, descriptions, and possibly a remodel thread here. If he's involved in a WBCCI or Forums group he may have friends who've helped with the work. If you've done a lot of reading here - you'll know whether he knows what he's accomplished (good or bad). Also why he's selling could matter a lot. If the work is well done the price is fantastic. If he slapped lipstick on a pig it's wasted effort.

The second one... there's nothing I'd fix faster than a propane problem. Got mine scheduled to see the local repair man over the water heater this week! It's puffing black smoke again... and I know enough to know I DON'T know enough to adjust that myself. He's selling it with a "what the heck" attitude toward the leak. Bet there are dozens of little issues that have been put off. (There are always dozens of little issues around the trailer that need attending to!)

Sincerely, Paula
__________________

__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
BeachHouse's Avatar
 
2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 261
Blog Entries: 1
That is a really great looking remodel. I completely agree with the above comments. Have any trailer you are considering inspected by a professional or one of the volunteer inspectors on the forums. Most any used trailer won't be perfect, but know what you are getting into.

As to the weight of the Ikea cabinets, it probably isn't a problem. But weighing the trailer is a good idea in any case.
__________________
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Pahaska's Avatar
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,820
Images: 3
I would be concerned about proper venting for the under-counter refrigerator. I see no trace of a vent above counter level and I can't tell from the photos what side venting is present.

Poor venting will result in poor cooling. I once had a TrailManor with lousy venting and had a heck of a time engineering a fan and a scoop to improve it. Even my 22' Airstream with side vents was marginal before I reworked it.
__________________
John W. Irwin
2014.5 Touring Coach, "Sabre-Dog IV"
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,266
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Hi, it looks really great in the pictures. Not much else to add, after Paula's post.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
adonh's Avatar

 
1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,232
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by arandruska View Post
This trailer looks stunning and has been remodeled with ikea carpentry. Does it seems like the trailer would be too heavy now? Has anyone done a remodel like this or have you seen a thread you could send my way? I'm trying to be a responsible shopper and find the right one. I dont want to fall into a trailer I cant fix.

Http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/rvs/3730461957.html

There's also a trailerthats more of theright price but needs somelove. When thepropane is turned on, you can smellitin the trailer. The owner said this is likely bc the pipe from the tank is cracked. Ihat a realitivly small fix or more like a weekend long project?

Thank you so much in advance for any feedback. I really appreciate your time.

Rob
The Ikea remodel looks good. But what have the done about the running gear, axles,tires and brakes. If the axles are original its not a even question of they "may" need to be replaced. A 1977 AS 36 years old, the axles "will" need to be replaced. You can change out the brakes and hubs at the same time. Check on the threads about changing the 15" rims and ties to 16" rims and tires. You can then get better tires with higher weight ratings. Good luck.
__________________
Don Hardman
1976 31' Sovereign
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:49 AM   #7
"The One" is out there
 
arandruska's Avatar
 
1975 31' Sovereign
Estes park , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 43
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
The weight on the Ikea remodel depends largely on how they did it. Some folks have reworked the frames to eliminate a lot of the weight - basically using the cabinet fronts. Open the drawers and look. Get a thorough tour from the owner - and take the unit to a scale and weigh it! Look for any signs that the frame has bent such as wrinkling around the wheel wells.

If it is close to the weight of the original factory weight... why not. Note: the under cabinet refrigerator - small capacity in a large trailer, But more counter space.

It's very nice to look at though I'm not a fan of the tile counter on the kitchen. And the kitchen faucet is overkill for a trailer.

Other unit with leaking propane. Nothing is more dangerous. How much to fix? Could be anything from
  • one loose fitting
  • one badly done conversion (say from a gas oven to a convection microwave, where some idiot just crimped the unused gas line instead of properly capping and sealing it
  • to a complete replacement of every pipe in the system plus an appliance or two
I'd pay for a professional's estimate before even considering this one.

When looking at a used Airstream "general care and maintenance history" is something to consider. The first one could be a cosmetic wonder with serious underlying issues - but has probably been "frame off". If the owner is truly proud of his work and knowledgeable... he'll have pictures, descriptions, and possibly a remodel thread here. If he's involved in a WBCCI or Forums group he may have friends who've helped with the work. If you've done a lot of reading here - you'll know whether he knows what he's accomplished (good or bad). Also why he's selling could matter a lot. If the work is well done the price is fantastic. If he slapped lipstick on a pig it's wasted effort.

The second one... there's nothing I'd fix faster than a propane problem. Got mine scheduled to see the local repair man over the water heater this week! It's puffing black smoke again... and I know enough to know I DON'T know enough to adjust that myself. He's selling it with a "what the heck" attitude toward the leak. Bet there are dozens of little issues that have been put off. (There are always dozens of little issues around the trailer that need attending to!)

Sincerely, Paula

THANK YOU!! This really helped me today while I looked at these trailers.
__________________
arandruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:56 AM   #8
"The One" is out there
 
arandruska's Avatar
 
1975 31' Sovereign
Estes park , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 43
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
The Ikea remodel looks good. But what have the done about the running gear, axles,tires and brakes. If the axles are original its not a even question of they "may" need to be replaced. A 1977 AS 36 years old, the axles "will" need to be replaced. You can change out the brakes and hubs at the same time. Check on the threads about changing the 15" rims and ties to 16" rims and tires. You can then get better tires with higher weight ratings. Good luck.
You're right. It was much more of a money pit than Aaron and I are interested in getting ourselves into. I just want a trailer that everything works that I can still afford without having to make payments or take out a loan. I've been so in love with Airstreams but it has to be the right one at the right price.

There were many small things with the trailer than just seemed like I would forever be sinking money in right away to make them right. The propane leak ended up being cracked hoses putside the trailer so probably not an issue inside but the interior had taken a beating and the cabinets were pulling away from the walks and most of the light switches didnt work.
__________________
arandruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #9
"The One" is out there
 
arandruska's Avatar
 
1975 31' Sovereign
Estes park , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 43
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
The Ikea remodel looks good. But what have the done about the running gear, axles,tires and brakes. If the axles are original its not a even question of they "may" need to be replaced. A 1977 AS 36 years old, the axles "will" need to be replaced. You can change out the brakes and hubs at the same time. Check on the threads about changing the 15" rims and ties to 16" rims and tires. You can then get better tires with higher weight ratings. Good luck.
Nothing had been done. You're right. I talked to Inland RV and they would want $800 per axel to replace them. The tires were 4 years old about 3000mi on them. Is that pretty standard switch to upgrade 15 to 16"? Would you do that on a 29ft 72' Land Yacht? That was the last trailer I looked at today and seriously I think it's the one... More on that later. I'm sleeping on it but it feels right. I think I'm about to be an Airstream owner..
__________________
arandruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
Vintage Kin
 
slowmover's Avatar
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,582
Images: 1
If one needs new tires (five year lifespan) then the switch to LT tires on 16" wheels has good arguments in its favor. The BF Goodrich Commercial T/A has excellent reports from high-mileage, experienced users and is a favorable price in comparison to very top MICHELIN and BRIDGESTONE. (Use covers and over-inflate by 10% when parked). See thread by BobThompson on this brand.

I'd strongly consider new axles on an A/S if but 15-years old. There is a point where there is no longer a savings in putting off work that is critical to safety and longevity.

In general, structural integrity and brand-new road performance/safety gear would impress me far more than the interior furnishings. Someone who leaves them out or till last has priorities mixed.

My order of priority in looking at TT's is to look for damages -- repaired or not -- and I most highly favor "original, very good condition" coaches:

1] Road Performance / Safety
2] Structural and Skin Integrity
3] Water Plumbing & Storage
4] Propane System
5] Electrical

While the first category may not be "obvious" I find it quickly sorts out the ignorant from knowledgeable seller.

And don't forget other brands. Avion, Silver Streak and Streamline are generally better-built TT's with fewer serious problems after purchase and a lower purchase price. They just aren't as well known, is all.

Here's a Denver CL Listing for a mid-80's tridem Avion. JimGolden has one that is similar, and he, like me, would (I imagine) be willing to look over an ad for any discrepancies apparent through his familiarity.

Take a bit of time, is all. And ask around of other owners of what brand/model has your interest.

.
__________________

__________________
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 9-cpm solo, 15-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IKEA window track - alternate to original? funkill Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes 6 03-19-2009 09:47 AM
Ikea cabinetry success mlang905 Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings 13 09-03-2008 01:10 AM
Airstream on Ikea.com Mel Airstream "In the News" 21 10-01-2007 01:49 PM
Ikea America at Home photo Tom Randall Our Community 3 09-17-2007 12:42 AM
IKEA fabric CHEAP tin can luv Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes 16 01-28-2004 10:57 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.