Old 08-25-2004, 02:20 AM   #29
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
When we shopped for our 34' ... one dealer thought he was giving us a smokin' deal with a piddly 9% off list and a Dealer Prep Fee ... I forget the amount, but it was huge ... the whole deal was insulting.

We went with Toscanos ... 20% off the MSRP plus tax and license. No added fees .. no games.

They were happy to make the deal .. and we were happy to accept it.

Don't pay the added fee.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 02:49 AM   #30
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE

2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
Apology to our dealer :o

It was not my intention to post a thread which would mention our dealer in a negative light, and I would like to apologize for anything said here by me which resulted in hard feelings. I appreciated all who responded reguarding this issue, however I have made a deal I agreed to which included paying this prep fee, even tho I didn't know what is was or how much....but that is my fault, my ignorance. It is stated on original offer to purchase (which I overlooked as we placed deposit on other unit) and I do not want this presented as a slur on this new dealer as his reputation is very good here and I do not want something I posted to affect that! I am truly sorry for the resulting conflict this has created

I would now like very much to purchase this trailer and move on....this has been a long 3 month wait, we will be happy to use Revolution RV for our service needs supporting their new endeavor with AS, and am sorry for all the irritation this has may have caused.

Barbara

Old 08-25-2004, 06:40 AM   #31
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
I presume that the concensus is obvious now.
As I said, business is business! Any successful dealer can add, and add they do! To their bottom line!
Surely you dont believe that the dealer has not marked up his price, then tell you he has to pay some fees???????

PUHLEASE...................

Smily
Seems the concensus is out. Dan and Barb are now feeling real sad about their relationship with their local dealer and the loss of their sale. The dealer is now balking on the sale so he can avoid having a sour customer (looks to me like he read this thread). I can sense from Barb's last post that they are pretty discouraged and feel pretty badly! I feel for them. Dan and Barb seem like really great people and I want them as Airstreamers!

Sometimes it's better to stop and think about all the implications before letting raw emotion on one item take over a situation. This thread showed some sane opinions and some not so well thought out knee-jerk reactions. Worse still, it showed some ugliness. I guess the point I am trying to make is that we all have the ability to affect our friends by our opinions and we have to be accountable when we get involved. Newbies are looking for guidance. The seasoned folks have to give sound advice based on their own personal experiences. That's what this is all about. I think we can all learn from this experience. I know I have.

Can we constructively help Dan and Barb get into a new trailer quick?

Thoughts?

Ideas?
Old 08-25-2004, 07:15 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Lets keep it friendly folks! We all want to help.
As I said when I started the response to this thread look at the drive out price, the bottome line...if its ok for you do it. Forget whether the dealer profit is in fees or markup.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:52 AM   #33
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE

2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
Am still hoping to buy this trailer from our local dealer, we are all good people here as are they, I actually mentioned for them to read the posts reguarding this.

Hope we can work something out, as stated before no harm was ever intended and I wish these new dealers the very best.

Barbara
Old 08-25-2004, 09:12 AM   #34

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaStreamin
It was not my intention to post a thread which would mention our dealer in a negative light, and I would like to apologize for anything said here by me which resulted in hard feelings. am truly sorry for the resulting conflict this has created

I would now like very much to purchase this trailer and move on....this has been a long 3 month wait, we will be happy to use Revolution RV for our service needs supporting their new endeavor with AS, and am sorry for all the irritation this has may have caused.

Barbara
Since you missed that on your original order, as you said Barbara you agreed to pay the price and that ends the discussion.

If the dealer read this thread he should also understand that a lot of us don't like the practice of these add on fees and would rather negotiate a bottom line price. Add on's leave a bad taste in our mouths and if anything can be said of this thread, the fact that your dealer does this may put him at a competative disadvantage with other Airstream dealers in the market.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 10:18 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Exactly, and nothing against dealer profit, let's just put all the cards on the table face up.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 10:35 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

" I could walk but" ---Keep in mind the dealer is aware of this and know how anxious you are. Dollars to Donuts he's betting you won't. Everyone's different but I'd call him on it. If he won't drop this I wouldn't walk ,I'd run !--Pieman
Old 08-25-2004, 11:51 AM   #37

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Unfortunately as noted above the agreement was signed that informed them of the charge (post#30). She walks she loses her deposit.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:15 PM   #38
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
A good lesson in reading what they make ya sign.

Live, learn, die and forget. Personally though, I think the dealer is kind of being a jerk. I mean clearly the unit you ordered did not come as you ordered it (post #15). It would seem to me, that fact alone could get you out of the agreement. The reason I say this is that I seem to recall you saying you ordered a fan and it was not installed. Regardless of if they install it after the fact or not, it is NOT the coach you ordered. Grounds for a re-negotiation in my book and if the deposit were about $250, I'd tell the dealer to go pound salt and take 'em to small claims court as my feeling is that it is possible to add after the fact, however, getting it installed and sealed at the factory (as it appears it is what you wanted) without additionally disturbing the area is by far the best plan. Every other option is second best in my book.

As far as I can tell, you did not get the exact coach you ordered. That said, at the very least if the dealer would not work with you on this, you could clearly demand the exact coach to your specs be delivered as requested from the factory and make the dealer sell that one to someone else. I know you've waited 3 months for this, but the reality is that the dealer as far as I see it wants their cake and eat it too, well, sales doesn't work that way. I was in sales for almost a decade and money talks...BS walks. It's the principle, not the money...sure $695 is a fair chunk of change, not most likely gonna break the bank considering how much the coach cost ya, but you can either have a frank (difficult) conversation or just let them roll over you. Me, I would demand at the very least they split the difference with you or get you the coach you ordered...not slap stuff on after the fact and still pay them the premium. Just my .02
Old 08-25-2004, 05:49 PM   #39
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE

2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
Actually nothing was signed, there was an "offer to purchase" that listed MSRP and our agreed to price. Below that price of $36,000. in pen it says "+prep, lic+doc fee", which I didn't give a second glance...assuming this just tx, lic fees, etc. We ordered other unit so this paper to me was irrelavant, I was glad to even find it! On new unit all done verbally, no paperwork. When calling for final figures this came as a surprise hence my post and ensuing mess it created.

Would like to put this to rest and go on. I have publicly apoligized, and privately, very emphatically. Am very upset reguarding all that transpired from this post of mine, it appears these apologies are not sufficient to go through with our purchase, this is not how I wanted this to end!

Again appreciate all input and support and will look forward to posting on another subject asap!

Barbara
Old 08-25-2004, 08:25 PM   #40
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Sorry you did not get into that Astream but, I have always believed that there is a reason that things follow their course. I believe that you and the dealer have come away from this much wiser. The school of hard knocks is no pleasure but it is the best source of wisdom.

I too, after graduating from "School of HK" read every line of any thing that is costing me money.

I believe that the dealer has learned something here because, If you do the math and read the number of opinions offered here, IT IS OBVIOUS, that adding fees onto deal does not sit well with consumers. As most can say, we understand capitalism and its intrinsic fees (Profit) we only wish to minimize them. Add your overhead and profit, tally the number and post it. Simple as that. The bottom line is all that matters.

Do the math at all times.

I hope your rainy day brings Airstreaming rainbows in your near future.

Smily
Old 08-26-2004, 09:20 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Barb---I can read the dissappointment in you post and can understand after waiting all that time. I also sence you feel some guilt for starting what you may feel caused the "Blowing the Deal". DON"T LET THIS DEALER PUT A GUILT TRIP ON YOU !!!!. The fact that they<1> did not sit down and explain EVERY cost involved and <2> didn't deliver the vehicle as promised from the factory, is reason enough to look elsewhere.
Perhaps you may have over reacted but this was started by HIS action. Have found if you start a deal of on a sour note it never seems to get any better when issues of warranty etc. come up down the road. Find another dealer, negotiate a deal , get it in writting, get your Airstream and come have fun with us.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:35 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
Delear Over reacting

Barb, i have followed this post from post1 i have not read one thing that you wrote that you should apologize for. you simply asked the forum an innocent question in regards to fees on your new A/S, there is nothing wrong with asking a question like this. these questions are what this forum is all about. if the dealer got upset over you questioning the fee. too bad. this is the age of information. we as consumers have an edge (the internet) that we did not have in the past.
I hope that you find another A/S and i hope you get an even better deal on it.