Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
The article you are referring to (i.e., "can't keep up with demand") was an Airstream press release that was picked up by media outlets all over the country. Media is desperate for "copy" this time of the year. I'm surprised we haven't seen any "alien abduction" stories lately. In any event, given the source of the article, you can take any "information" it may have contained with a grain of salt. Airstream is about to bring a significant expansion of its manufacturing capacity on line and I suspect they are trying to create an air of scarcity to generate demand for the added production.

Hi, You didn't?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05685.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	229646  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #22
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Sunny San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
I am not a haggler either. Just for kicks I stopped at my dealer to look at the 30' Flying Cloud. I really wanted the ducted air and additional space. He offered me a deal I could not refuse. He gave me in trade what I paid for my 2013 25' Cloud so I did not haggle at all. I did not at all expect to walk away with a new trailer.
Wow, congrats gray sailor! Sounds like you need to hit the road, park and enjoy!!

Wishing you a prosperous New Year!!
Old 01-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #23
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Nancy View Post
I suppose the easiest tactic is to trade-in your existing trailer and demand top dollar, maybe even more than one could ever get elsewhere. That way, the dealer can sell the new one at MSRP and "honestly" claim the sale of the new one at MSRP. You still technically did get the "discount." They can validate the great AS resale value, via your old trade-in invoice, shown to their used AS customers. Then, they might make a "terrific" deal to the person buying your old AS trade-in, thus burying the actual "discount" they wrote-off in the process. The dealer is generous, MSRP is protected and everyone is "happy."
Hi Dave-Nancy,
Happy New Year!! So I have a question. Does the trade in value get deducted from the MSRP? A California dealer told me (if anyone knows different please chime in) I pay taxes on the full value of the new trailer, no deductions made for the trade in?!

I know Arizona gives a tax credit for used vehicles, Im not sure on CA law and was going to discuss this with the appropriate dealer at time of offer.

If I negotiate 20% off the MSRP of 90k, that's $1,440 Im saving in taxes (90-18=72,000x.08=$1,440). So maybe negotiate a lower sale price with a fair trade in value?????

Still not sure if I want to keep, sell, consign or trade in.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:10 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
HLN had a spot this morning about high demand on Airstreams.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:15 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
San Jose , California
We purchased a new 2014 in late August at 20% discount off MSRP plus several bonus goodies, like oven conversion.
Makaira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:27 PM   #26
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
California does not allow you to deduct your trade in from the MSRP or whatever the selling price is. I was a resident of CA but upon retirement "moved" to South Dakota which does allow you to deduct your trade in. Actually I live in La Paz, MX during the winter. Around February/March I head north and hook up to my Stream and just wander.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #27
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
California does not allow you to deduct your trade in from the MSRP or whatever the selling price is. I was a resident of CA but upon retirement "moved" to South Dakota which does allow you to deduct your trade in. Actually I live in La Paz, MX during the winter. Around February/March I head north and hook up to my Stream and just wander.
Thanks for the cofirmation Graysailor. Do you know if they give a tax credit on the trade in...for example.... trade value of 40,000 ca tax at 8%= $3,200 credit ???
Old 01-01-2015, 10:14 PM   #28
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
No they do not. The only tax break you could get is if you finance the trailer then it could qualify as a second home and the interest on the loan would be tax deductible. I have done that with my boat on several occasions.

Forgive the spelling but spell check sometimes gets things wrong.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:03 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Wink California Taxes ... Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwheels View Post
Hi Dave-Nancy,
Happy New Year!! So I have a question. Does the trade in value get deducted from the MSRP? A California dealer told me (if anyone knows different please chime in) I pay taxes on the full value of the new trailer, no deductions made for the trade in?!

I know Arizona gives a tax credit for used vehicles, Im not sure on CA law and was going to discuss this with the appropriate dealer at time of offer.

If I negotiate 20% off the MSRP of 90k, that's $1,440 Im saving in taxes (90-18=72,000x.08=$1,440). So maybe negotiate a lower sale price with a fair trade in value?????

Still not sure if I want to keep, sell, consign or trade in.
That is a good question for your TAX PREPARER, which I am not. I'm just a poor Oregon Country Boy, who moved from California to Oregon to survive back in the late 1960s! HA! Dave
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #30
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Thanks Dave,
My hubby contemplated on doing the same thing.... moving out of CA to relieve the tax load. He owns a small business and the state sure does get their money out of him!!

Thanks for the input everyone!

Happy New Year!!
Old 01-02-2015, 09:52 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I was looking to buy a trailer out of state from Arizona. As it was explained to me I would have to pay the AZ sales tax unless the dealer towed the trailer out of state, in this case to Lordsburg, NM where the documentation would be signed and notarized. The dealer was going to charge $400 for this service. Then I would just pay the sales tax on the purchased price minus the trade in. I ended up passing up on the trailer for other reasons.

I used to live in California 25 years ago and back then the taxes on registering a car was high. I can't imagine what its like now. But even now in my new state of Missouri I will have to start paying personal property tax each year on my vehicles and Airstream unlike Texas where I moved from a year ago. The house property taxes in Missouri are much lower than Texas so the states get the money out of you coming and going.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:57 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
What did you pay for it, relative to the window sticker?
vito98103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:08 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
I ordered our 2014 Classic model 30 in June 2013 with a commitment for a build start date of 15 January 2014. They actually started the Friday before the Christmas break, but I was there from 2 January to 15 January to oversee the job and caught two major omissions in time to have them corrected. Improperly installed trim was pointed out to the QC staff and was not fixed before the unit showed up at the dealership.

We only had to pay the Arizona 8.25% sales tax on the difference between the trade in value of our 2013 25FB and the final selling price of the Classic. When I showed up at the Indiana BMV in late January, I had already paid Arizona a higher sales tax than the 7% Indiana rate, so no more sales tax was due. However, Indiana has an annual declining rate "excise tax" on all motorized vehicles (which is deductible on the federal tax return) based upon the list price from a book they use. There was about $2,000 in excise tax for the first year and decreases over time. On my older motorcycles, the excise tax is down to $12 going onward.

We elected to use a very qualified third party for all the custom and major warranty work done after taking delivery. I pick up locally any warranty parts I have needed for the small stuff and install them myself and return the defective parts. Thus I have no additional damage or grease stains again on the floor from the dealership crews.

As far as I am concerned at age 70, our heavily modified 2014 Classic will last the duration.....along with the current truck.

Except for the 2015 Classic where the order book is closed so they can raise the prices again in the spring (28% higher list base price on 2015 Classic when introduced as compared to the 2014 Classic list base price), most folks over the last several years get 15% off list without too much trouble and many get 20 to 22% on units that have been on the lot a longer time. It is important to know that all dealers in the United States, regardless of location, pay the same delivery charge from Jackson Center, Ohio to wherever they are in Ohio or Washington state. The largest dealer, Colonial in New Jersey, gets more discount off list than a small dealership, but they are all woking from the same published list price.

Do your home work and have them give you the factory list price sheet for the model and the factory installed associated accessories for that model you are looking at. Compare that list price sheet with the comparison dealers to be sure you are not getting a discount off an inflated list price.

A unit on the lot for a long time can have lots of wear and tear from visitors looking and the tires and batteries may have degraded (like in the summer heat in Arizona or the salt air on the East or West coasts).

Good luck in your research.

YMMV

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #34
Slympicins

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Sevierville , Tennessee
Great post
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:45 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
We Oregonians must be "special?"
What we have done is to sign an Oregon residence paper and taxes are not owed when we purchase in other states. BUT, we have never purchased a large item out of state. That might have changed? Another TAX PREPARER QUESTION.
We do get the occasional relative who expects us to allow them to use our mailing address for purchases of autos, motorhomes, etc. We don't allow that! It's great ... Now, they don't drop in on us anymore, when in Oregon... HA!
We are floored to see how much people pay in taxes in other states. We do fund a lot with property taxes and bonding. But, those items are deductible from our income taxes. The "comparable" real estate prices tend to be lower, thus so is the taxation. Like CA, RE Taxes run around 1.5%. I am originally from Pasadena. Speaking of Pasadena ... How about those DUCKS!
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:39 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, while living in Southern California we bought our trailer in Eugene, Oregon and paid no sales taxes in Oregon or California. It was a short lived California 91 day rule. We now live in Oregon and my new F-150 was tax free too. Property taxes are high though. A good friend told me that if we go to Washington and show our Oregon ID they won't charge us sales tax there either.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:13 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Just renewed the Indiana 2014 Classic plate (vehicle is now one model year old) and the total hit for 2015 is down to $1,485.75 with $1,376.00 being excise tax. We also paid a $40 wheel tax, "special" Veteran plate fee of $40 and admin fee of $29.75. $25 of the Veteran plate fee goes to the Indiana veterans fund.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #38
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
We first looked at Airstreams 2 years ago and we immediately fell in love with the Eddie Bauer. We neglected to purchase it at that time because of the sticker price, but recently revisited the idea of bringing the outdoors in with the open hatch.

We spent most of today on the road traveling back and forth to Airstream Los Angeles. Unfortunately the salesperson neglected to tell me the rig on his lot was new, but damaged. It's a new 2015 EB and the hatch was already broken and the interior skin was damaged due to the removal of the spring (?). Additionally, the table wobbled quite a bit. The sales person suggested purchasing two table legs used in the Interstates, but that's an additional cost on the already expensive sticker price. There were a few other minor details that caught our eye like, the table didn't have a secure place to go once disassembled. The attention to detail was lacking when it came to placing two sockets side by side. One was offset by 1/4". D rings were loose (did this happen during travel) and an electrical socket which was installed at an angle?

I don't know... I guess I was expecting more since Eddie Bauer branded this trailer. Sadly I was disappointed.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:34 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
We have a 2014 27 Eddie Bauer in mint condition but have decided to purchase a 2015 Classic. We have been trying to negotiate as well, but not having much luck. Trying to get prices with and without a trade, thinking we may try to sell our Eddie on the side. They are just not coming off the prices like I believe they should. Very disappointing to say the least. I'm not giving up though!

Laura & Tom
Old 01-05-2015, 09:31 AM   #40
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Just renewed the Indiana 2014 Classic plate (vehicle is now one model year old) and the total hit for 2015 is down to $1,485.75 with $1,376.00 being excise tax. We also paid a $40 wheel tax, "special" Veteran plate fee of $40 and admin fee of $29.75. $25 of the Veteran plate fee goes to the Indiana veterans fund.
Wow, thanks for this info. You just reminded me that annual fees will be going up substantially as well such as insurance and DMV registration!! Sometimes my excitement gets the best of me.