Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
How much should I ask $$.

I am going to sell our '69 Sovereign (31 footer) and thought I would run some figures by the forum to see what a fair asking price might be.

I bought it about 3 years ago and have done quite a bit of work on it.
I added a new electric tongue jack, new LP gas valve, new control
board to the Dometic Fridge (it's about 10 years old). I also put new
twin mattresses in the middle bedroom area, replaced the old Thedford
toilet with a new Thetford. Nice china bowl. I re-plumbed everything
from front to back and straightened up a lot of spaghetti-ized wire.
The tires are about 5 years old. I replaced the old axles with new
Dexter's. I am putting in a Fouton in the front to replace the
disaster that was at one time a nice gaucho. Everything else is pretty
standard. Also. I put silver reflective film on all of the windows.
There are probably other things that I have forgotten, but you get the
idea.

I paid $6,000 for it and am not sure what the market is on it now.
Any ideas?
thanks, bill b.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You may want to familiarize yourself with this Price vs Condition information....it's the same reference your buyers will be using if they are smart. Be sure to read through the whole thing, not just look at the charts...it's very helpful.

Good luck with your sale, are you getting another Airstream or jumping ship?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Currently the longer Airstreams like yours are not getting very good prices (call it the impact of high gas prices). I sold my 1969 Sovereign about 4 months ago for $3500. It sounds like yours is in much nicer condition than mine but doing a quick scan on ebay shows that all recent trailers like yours are selling anywhere from $2500 to $4,500.
Good luck!
Old 07-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Sad but true

The gas/diesel price has more affect than first appear. Of course the value of the smaller 'cuter' ones has been climbing faster for some time. Smaller families? Smaller people? Smaller tow vehicles? All of the above? I put an ad in the paper today for the Airstream at $8000 and will see how it goes. Maybe someone out there is looking for the biggest they can afford for a full time resort cabin, pool cabana, or portable studio. In the mean time I am going to keep piddling away at fixing it up and hoping that they open up that big ole oil field in Alaska. Nice thing about a 40 year old Airstream it only adds one fortieth of its age this year. And a brand new one doubles in age the first year. :-) That's my kind of math.
cheers, bill b.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Bill, I've learned in the years (decades) I've been around items for sale, it's easier to drop your price to make a deal, then raise it if you realize you aren't asking enough. If it doesn't sell in a reasonable time, you can always lower your asking price a bit.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I generally agree that the 30+ market feels a bit soft. I think you are on the right track thinking of someone who wants to spend more time parking than pulling. The economy is soft and in the 30+, I tihink you're looking at a more serious tow vehicle. We buy vehicles for fleet use. My guys tell me that the inventory of F-250/350 vehicles (or the equivalent) is just stacking up. If you can afford the fuel, it's a great time to buy a truck... but those $100+ fill ups are enough to make most of us blink pretty hard. Good luck with the sale.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Fuel mileage on larger airstreams

RE: The economy is soft and in the 30+, I tihink you're looking at a more serious tow vehicle. We buy vehicles for fleet use. My guys tell me that the inventory of F-250/350 vehicles (or the equivalent) is just stacking up. If you can afford the fuel, it's a great time to buy a truck...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I have had a several lookers. Everybody loves an airstream. As you said, the fuel mileage thing is a big drawback. I have had one looker at the truck. I think it will become more popular as soon as Ford quits making them. Here (farm and ranch country) it's hard to get by without an F250 or equivalent Dodge, Chevy or GMC. But being stricken with a stubborn streak, I am not going to give it away. I will probably find that elusive full time parking place that I have long searched for, or just keep it in the driveway as a "tinker" toy until gas goes down. It will go down, won't it?
cheers, bill b.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilby05
It will go down, won't it?
cheers, bill b.
Yes it will go down. Right after we find something else to power our vehicles, gas will be about a quarter a gallon, if not less, as the oil companies try to sell the stuff before it rots...
Old 08-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Even if oil prices drop, it will take time before competitive pressure forces oil companies to reduce gasoline prices. The market for vehicles also changes slowly. If gas drops to $3 a gallon, it's not like everyone is going to run out and buy 3/4 ton trucks. In general, the people that need them for business reasons (like us), will buy them no matter the cost. The loss of "discretionary" buyers really hurts the auto makers who have generally made windfall profits on the big platforms (SUVs, trucks, etc.)

When it comes to restoration/renovation, I generally find that I'm going to put more into something in terms of time and money than I'm going to get back out. The way I balance the scales is to think about the use and enjoyment I derive from the object in question. I also think the "mostly restored" niche is one of the toughest sells and best buys. In my experience, you can find lots of buyers looking for a project trailer at a great price (including restoration shops). You can also find the high end folks who want a turn key restoration and really don't mind opening the big checkbook. It strikes me as a bit harder to find folks who want something where most of the work has been done... of course, that's just my impression. Good luck on the sale.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote