Old 04-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Question Help with pricing a '73 Argosy

Hi, I need the collective wisdom on the forum. I'm looking at a '73 Argosy 24, the seller is asking $7500. I hope it's ok to post the link: Argosy - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale

The seller can't tell me anything about the systems( plumbing,gas), so I'm going to assume it's all original. Also, it's going to need new axles. I found a lovely member who's possibly willing to go have a look at it for me...but I don't want to waste her time if it's not a good deal for me. Help! What would you pay?

ccbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
If everything is working and both parties knowing it needs axles i would ask if the seller would drop it to 6000.00 so you had room for getting some axles. Nice looking coach though.

WBCCI# 9259 AIR# 38927 TAC-TX 14
Stop Littering-Spay & Neuter-- Adopt From Rescue
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Make sure there is NO FLOOR ROT. Floor rot means you won't be camping in it for a while. For that price, there should be no major damage and all systems should be in working order. Some Argosy trailers had aluminum floors which is a plus. It looks to be in really nice condition.

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
All systems should work. Check the fridge. They are not cheap. Ditto the floor rot comment above. In the USA I would think that price was high, unless the trailer is excellent shape, both cosmetic and mechanical. Just remember all the little things add up very fast when redoing an older trailer. Axles, tires, water heater, AC etc. can all take time and money to fix. Count on axles.
Bruce & Rachel
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #5

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
There's value in new awnings, newish tires (check the date codes, that's more important than the date the tires were purchased), 2 fantastic fans and a new battery. Since they have a solar system, I'm guessing they have a modern converter as well but it's worth verifying.

*IF* all systems are working and in good shape, all seams are well-sealed, all the window seals are flexible without cracks, the screens are good, and the floor is solid, it seems to be a fair asking price. Remember that asking prices are usually a starting point for discussion, and things like upgrades have different value to different people. Personally, since the set of awnings cost more than a pair of axles, if everything else checks out I wouldn't feel bad about having to put axles on it.

Do the Trailer Inspection Checklist in detail, and decide if it's worth it to you.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
The floor is never solid in one of these old trailers, and will more than likely need some replacement done. I'm sure many of us have seen the thread about a trailer only a few years old that has floor rot, and needs part replaced. I think the price is pretty high IMHO.

Streaming Soldiers Blog
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Help with pricing a '73 Argosy

Greetings ccbrand!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy!

Originally Posted by ccbrand View Post
Hi, I need the collective wisdom on the forum. I'm looking at a '73 Argosy 24, the seller is asking $7500. I hope it's ok to post the link: Argosy - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale

The seller can't tell me anything about the systems( plumbing,gas), so I'm going to assume it's all original. Also, it's going to need new axles. I found a lovely member who's possibly willing to go have a look at it for me...but I don't want to waste her time if it's not a good deal for me. Help! What would you pay?
I see by your profile that you are located in Western Australia, and that may make a difference in some decisions that you are faced with making regarding the coach if your plans are to export to your home in Australia.

Cosmetically, the coach looks to be in good condition. It isn't often that the end caps don't need repainting on a coach that is offered for sale. . .that isn't to say that there may not be imperfections but the photos do not reveal major rust or chipping. Observing the relationship of the wheel well lip to the top edge of the junction of the wheel and tire makes it appear that axles will be needed in the very near future . . . I don't know what regulations you would face exporting the coach to Austrailia, but if a requirement is hydraulic brakes . . . this would provide an easy opportunity for that conversion. Converting to hydraulic brakes would definitely impact the cost of the axles as the hydraulic disc brake equipped axles are somewhat higher in cost than the electric drum brake equipped axles.

Further observation makes it appear that the rooftop air conditioner is likely a later model Coleman. I have a Coleman Mini-Mach on my Argosy Minuet and a Coleman Mark III air conditioner on my Overlander and they both cool the coach to the extent of being cold in even the hottest weather. The one caveat is that they didn't (at least when mine were installed) have condesate drain capabilities so the condesate drained over the side of the trailer which wasn't a problem on my Airstream, but on the Argosy it causes rust colored stains that need to be polished out three or four times per season.

The interior appears to be exceptionally clean with the original appliances. It appears that even the upholstery may be original. I do believe, however, that the drapes are newer additions . . . the color approximates that of the originals but the fabric is lighter in weight and/or not lined. The toilet appears to be original, and that may spell a replacement not too far down the road as repair parts are becoming quite difficult to locate for that model . . . I replaced the one in my Minuet for that very reason.

The LP tanks appear to be original, but don't let the paint fool you. Those tanks under that paint may very well be Worthington Aluminum tanks. Argosy utilized the Worthington Aluminum tanks as options and many coaches received this option. If those tanks are Worthington Alumin, then they are well worth the cost of upgrading the valves to the modern OPD standard. If they happen to be steel and don't have OPD valves, the likelihood is that replacement will likely be less costly than upgrading the valves in old steel tanks.

The water heater has been replaced at some time in the past as evidenced by the white door. The original door would have been painted to match the lower body of the coach. This is a good thing as the water heater, if original, would be one of the first appliances likely to fail in my experience.

The tail lights and surround appear to be stock and original. It would be advisable to carefully examine the surround as these are prone to cracking and subject to hail damage the older that they get. There are many work-arounds if this issue should be discovered as the surround can be removed (attached with rivets) and repaired with Fiberglass Matting Kits and Resin; or as an alternative it can be removed entirely and the coach can be converted to more modern Airstream surface mount tail lights.

Overall, considering outer appearances, the coach looks to be in very good usable condition. While the original refrigerator may last another decade, it is just as likely that it may decide to perform its finale on your first trip . . . the absorbtion refrigerators tend to be undpredicable so in a Vintage coach with an original refrigerator, you need to be prepared to either replace the cooling element or the entire refrigerator at just about any time. I am still running with the original Dometic in my Argosy, but I do know that it days are likely numbered as it has traveled all over North America since the previous owner purchased it new in 1978. The water heater is newer so isn't likely to be an immediate concern; the furnace on the other hand isn't obvious so a close visual inspection would be necessary to determine its age/likely condition. My Argosy still has its original furnace which is professionally inspected prior to each season and as long as it passes it will remain, but I am prepared for its replacement as it is one that is known to fail suddenly due to a rusted out heat exchanger . . . the nice thing about a new furnace is electonic ignition . . . no more lying on the cold floor to light a cantankerous pilot light.

Given all of the new items . . . awnings all around, solar system, Fantastic Vents, and HD Antenna, the price isn't terribly unreasonable. From a buyer's perspective, I can see where a price closer to $6,000 might be desirable. My susupicion is that the coach is likely to sell for probably no less than 80% to 95% of its current asking price based upon the photos . . . of course, an in-person visual inspection can always change observations made in photos . . . as a PhotoShop teacher, I know how much can be done to digitally enhance any photo taken.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Wow, thank you all so much! Kevin, a very detailed reply, thank you so much for taking the time. The point made about upgrades having different value to different people was spot on. There are some things on this particular trailer that have no value to me, but will mean a lot to another buyer. So...lots to think about.
Thanks again!

Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #9
1976 Argosy 22
New London , Connecticut
Just wanted to update, I've let this one go by. Just not quite right for me. But, I'm still looking if anyone comes across an Argosy 24 in good condition. Thanks again!