Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Help. Whats this '69 Sovereign worth???

Hello everyone. I'm new to the AS community, actually not yet. I'm looking at a 1969 Sovereign that is in ok shape. I'll share what I've found. I want to know if I'm paying too much. The owner said $4000 is the lowest they'd go. All windows are functioning and in good condition. Floor appears to be good (carpet is ripped up except in rear bath, but appears to be solid), sleep areas have all been taken out, No fridge, newer furnace, original ac that turned on but not sure it works, has 3 burner stove top & oven, tire and wheels have been replaced, all electric outlets work, all original lights/plastic is there, cabinets are fair cond., rear belly pan is rotted. appears from the sealant on rear bumper that it has dropped 1/2"-3/4". Shell is in great condition as well as bath and fixtures. No awnings. Axels I'd say are original. Looks as if it was parked more than towed. Any guess to what I should pay?
tcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
here are my concerns:
axle is shot, if it is original.
Rear Bumper has dropped, which means you have rear separation..meaning at least the edge of your rear flooring is rotted out.
from your description i say you are looking at a pretty significant project... but that shoud not scrae you away.
As for the Value.. it is a 31ft, therefore less valuable than the shorter once from my experience.. I would offer less.

Resurrecting one Airstream at the time..
maybe one day i save them all
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the feedback! I have been looking at forums talking about the rear sag/separation issue. How big of a project is this to fix. Is it a shell off or a weld fix from underneath, etc. I can handle the work, but don't want to over pay especially if it involves more $ that can be spent on fixes. I posted some pics but don't see them here. I'll try again. Also I see everyone replacing axels. Can they be refurbished or fixed?
Old 08-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
Separation means that your connection between the floor , the frame and the shell is compromised, ie rotted . If you are lucky, all you have to do is repair the floor .to do so, you need to drop at least the rear belly pan, and remove the inside rear walls after you gut the bathroom . I have done a sectional repair like this before , but you got to make sure everything gets tight together correctly... It can all be done fairly inexpensive but requires a lot of labor .

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 08-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
Your axles can not be refurbished . They are torsion axles and just wear out over time . But there are ways to check them to verify they are realy bad .

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 08-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Awesome, I can handle that. About the axles. I saw to test them to jack the axle up and if it move 3" or so they're good if they only move 1" or less its no good. Is this right?
Old 08-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
It's gonna be a very expensive and lengthy project. I'd say, "Keep looking."
Old 08-26-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Imo any old Airstream is going to have rear separation to some degree.

Here is my opinion...

If the frame is good except for the last three or four feet all issues can be dealt with frame on.

The hardest part of fixing rear separation is getting the old fixtures, walls and bulkheads out of the way.

The fix itself is fairly straight forward.

Parts and materials wont be expensive, but overall it will be time consuming.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Help. Whats this '69 Sovereign worth???

I have about 20k inclusive of purchase price, and a lot of labor in my 72.

It was a total gut out, frame on.

Everything is new but the frame, shell, and original a/c.

I say if the outside is nice and straight, the price ain't bad, I paid a little more for my 72 and a little less for my 75.

The local market in your area matters.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:15 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Awesome guys. This will be my first but I learn quick and hands on. Not to many in the area. Looks as if the separation is just at the rear. Floor in bath is good. What would be the most this old girls worth? $3000???
Old 08-29-2014, 11:55 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Asheville , North Carolina
I just sold my '70 31' for $2200 and the guy got a steal. That said, if I was looking around after knowing how much you have to put into all of the separation/floor stuff, I wouldn't go less than $3000, probably more like $2500 but if they're super hard to find in your area maybe you want to pay more.
jmlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign