Old 08-30-2006, 09:54 AM   #15
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~flutterbee~
We're hoping to spend a few months working in FL this winter & a month down in the Shawnee Nat'l Forest this fall.
If you do come to the Shawnee, make sure and say Hi

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~flutterbee~
Really? I mean, it was severe, we could see insulation between the bumper & frame w/out even pushing down on it. He had insulation shoved up in there because he spent last winter in Colorado.
I just called the closest airstream dealer's service dept & they wouldn't be able to work on it until at least November and said it would be at very least 2k...
Wow. I do get excited to think about that one, it was just beautiful.
Try an offer 2k less then asking. You never know. He must know what the problem is if he has tried to fix it.

98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 12:11 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
southern , Illinois
shacksman~ going by the severity of it, I'd be afraid to camp in it until we could get it reinforced, and that would be months- at least 2... I'm too anxious for that!

Gen Disarray~ you're right there! Giant City was our home away from home when we had our camper.. we love it there, we were even married underneath a redbud in bloom. Is your Airstream stored right there off of Giant City Rd?

Mel~ thanks for the advice. I do hope to have any trailer we might actually buy checked out by a forum member if at all possible... the inspector list is a great thing, there are still lots of holes in it, tho... I know that I'll be willing to fill in any geographical gap I'm in at some point. That's good advice about making a list of repairs & deciding what we can handle... we've tried to do that with every one so far.

BIGED~ PMed ya! I would love any info on those trailers!!

We saw a 96, 25' Excello the other night. It was a little more than twice the amount we were looking to spend... and we would have spent it if it didn't have some potential big things going wrong- #1 was what looked ot be floor rot! Right by the door! I was so sad, I brought it up to the owners & they didn't seem to think it was an issue, but the carpet was discolored & sunken in all along the edge. The awning had blown off in a storm, it hit the upper panel on the rear of the trailer causing a an "M" shaped crease in the skin. He used regular screws to reattach it... d'oh! I guess that's why it was only 12k... but these are things I can't fix (the crease & rot). And spending that much would allow me very little room for big surprises, either.

I can't get it out of my mind, tho... it was such a nice trailer- oak& mirrored cabinets throughout, skylight.

SO! The search continues. Kelly
Old 09-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
southern , Illinois
We Are The Proud Owners Of A 96 Excello!!!!!!

WooHoooooooo!
It was just so nice, we couldn't pass it up. We read through a lot of floor repair threads in the past few weeks & unless it's a frame off, I think that we can handle the floor. it's usable the way it is so we could get our plans under way & fix it when we get to FL (we'll have a house to stay in if need be).
It was just so beautiful, I love all of the oak & mirrors. The pantry was so neat! We'll fix that subfloor & put in laminate or cork(if we can afford!), it will be gorgeous. It already is.
The thing about this one is that it was really loved & enjoyed by the PO's.

Pics soon! We're going to put the deposit down tonight & take our 3 year old to see it. Yaaaaaaaaay!! We're airstreamers!!
Many thanks! Kelly
Old 09-02-2006, 10:04 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Boy, you have it bad now!!! Congratualtions. I hope this AS is as good as you hope it is. Send us some pictures as soon as you can. That's as soon as you calm down enough to take pictures.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
flutterbee---if something happens that you don't get this one here is something you might concider. As someone already mentioned, run a want ad detailing the quality you're looking for and attach a FINDERS FEE with it. This give you more eyes and ears looking and an incentive for some one to look at the details you looking for. The finders fee would have to be conditional upon purchase. A couple hundred dolars in finder fees may be less than the expences to go looking yourself plus you would have more folks looking.----------------pieman
Old 09-02-2006, 10:43 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
southern , Illinois
Yeah, I guess this looks pretty impulsive, and to some degree it is. I have some pics of it and had emailed them to my father who fell in love with it & offered to help & possibly buy later. We weren't offered any kind of help on the others, so this one really appealled to my folks.

I know we can handle some big stuff if we have time, my husband has some construction experience & will be working in construction this winter so he'll have access to tools. We were hoping to buy a month ago & have 2 months to work on it before our plans started us southbound. Time is passing quickly. We're ready to GO!!
Old 09-02-2006, 10:22 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
southern , Illinois
Just call me smiley!

We went to look at it again & leave a deposit... pulled the carpet up by the door & the sub-floor was perfect!!! The carpet is dirty, but that's okay!! We don't like carpet, anyway. The crease I was talking about is really shallow & only about 14" wide. I feel really good about this one. The owners are super-nice and told us all about it, they've really enjoyed it. They're even selling us their 3/4 ton diesel!

Many Thanks! Kelly