Old 04-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #1

1976 23' Safari
sumner , Washington
HELP! I have a '76 23ft Safari Land Yacht

Hello! So, I am a new owner of a 1976 23foot safari land yacht. We are truly lucky because EVERYTHING IS ORIGINAL AND IN AMAZING CONDITION.

A little history on it, we are from a small island in pudget sound where a family friend purchased it in 1976 to live while he built his island home.... Since then it has never left the island (was kept in the barn) till a few months ago when we brought it to our home in the puyallup valley, wa (it towed amazing)....... The airstream is original right down to the 8 track player, yes I said 8 track player, I even have the original title!

So, where does one start? We do want to sell it but are not sure how to determin value and what really needs to be redone. Now, for all you airstream guru's.... what do I do?

We would love to find that perfect buyer that wants to restore it to mint condition.

I havent cleaned the exterior as I know their is a wrong and a right way to do it...? Right?

Some fun information:
All original intack windows
All original interior (with extra original upolstry material, still in the bag)
Lic plate is WB7667 (im not sure what this means and if it is significant)
has cooper pipes
Exterior has a few bumps and bruises but nothing I would concider major. No dents
Original 8 track player
the list goes on and on.............

Someone please help us start on the right track!

Old 04-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Look in the classified adds here for a similar unit. Compare condition and price.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Hi,

Is your only intention to sell it (not use it, camp in it, tow it around, etc)? Are you just looking for a "how do I judge its condition" sort of checklist so that you can offer full disclosure? If so, I would recommend that you search the forums for the threads concerned with pre-purchase inspection. There are some very detailed recommendations for where to start, and how to gauge the condition.

For pricing, you can check the Airstream Classified ads as recommended above, but I would recommend also searching ebay for completed auctions of similar units (makes sure to stay in a similar age range, ie. don't compare your 70's era trailer to something from the 60's). This will help give you an idea of what people are actually paying.

Just be realistic in your estimates of value. Don't try to compare your "original" trailer to a trailer that has been extensively refurbished. Despite that your trailer has been stored inside and was probably well cared for, there are a lot of systems that will need to be repaired or replaced just due to age. Plastic tanks and rubber fittings will be cracked and leaky, gas lines may be leaking, and many major appliances may need to be replaced despite their fresh appearance. The torsion axle will likely be sagged out. I am sure that there are some 70's enthusiasts out there that will really appreciate the originality of your trailer, but in general 70's trailers are candidates for modernization/redesign/conversion to donut vending trailers because the shag carpet, viinyl coated interior skins, and plasticy cabinetry are not appreciated.

good luck!
Old 04-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
HELP! I have a '76 23ft Safari Land Yacht

Greetings Traci!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by traci View Post
Hello! So, I am a new owner of a 1976 23foot safari land yacht. We are truly lucky because EVERYTHING IS ORIGINAL AND IN AMAZING CONDITION.

You have quite a find there, and one that someone looking for the Nostalgia of the Bi-Centennial should enjoy. A well-preserved 1976 coach should please a collector wishing to relive the eclectic 1970s . . . I know that I enjoy the burnt-orange motif of my 1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre.

Quote:
A little history on it, we are from a small island in pudget sound where a family friend purchased it in 1976 to live while he built his island home.... Since then it has never left the island (was kept in the barn) till a few months ago when we brought it to our home in the puyallup valley, wa (it towed amazing)....... The airstream is original right down to the 8 track player, yes I said 8 track player, I even have the original title!

A documented one-owner coach in near pristine original condition would thrill prospective Vintage owners looking for the 1970s experience. The original laminate interiors may not please all who look, but they do serve the purpose of helping to keep weight down . . . and when carefully maintained they do hold up well. When your coach was new it was likely towed with a full-size family car . . . or possibly one of the intermediates such as the Ford Torino or Chevrolet Malibu. While today’s family cars would be less likely towing candidates, there are a number of smaller, less-thirsty tow vehicles that can handle a 1976 23’ Airstream.

Quote:
So, where does one start? We do want to sell it but are not sure how to determin value and what really needs to be redone. Now, for all you airstream guru's.... what do I do?

The best way to approach your problem would be with an initial assessment. I would recommend downloading the Airstream Trailer Condition Check-List found here on the Forums. In addition, if you are not comfortable with Airstreams or even RVs, you might want to enlist the assistance of a Volunteer Inspector who might be able to provide some helpful input and suggestions.

Quote:
We would love to find that perfect buyer that wants to restore it to mint condition.

You can do some research regarding value by using tools such as the Price vs. Condition check-list found on the VintageAirstream website. You can also observe classifieds on Air Forums, the Vintage Airstream Club website, E-Bay Listings as well a Sold Auctions, Craigs List, Tin Can Tourists, Wally Byam Caravan Club International, etc. There are a number of other classified sites and you can investigate to the extent that your time and patience permits. As you research, you may find that similar coaches in different regions of the country can demand slightly higher prices . . . or slightly lower prices.

Quote:
I havent cleaned the exterior as I know their is a wrong and a right way to do it...? Right?

Your coach’s exterior can be treated in much the same way that you would treat the fine finish on a new automobile. You wan to avoid using any product or process that exposes the finish to grit. I typically utilize Walbernize Super Seal as my “wax” that follows a wash with Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner. I don’t typically utilize commercial preparations to remove road tar and other contaminants, my usual method is to utilize K-1 Kerosene and a Micro-fiber towel to gently remove such contaminants.

The interior of your coach is much like a miniature home. For the most part, what you would use to clean your home can be used to clean the interior of your coach. As with similar home fixtures, the ABS Plastics and Fiberglass utilized in the bathroom fixtures deserves extreme care as the finish can be damaged rather easily (refinishing these fixtures isn’t particularly difficult, but it can be very time consuming a somewhat expensive for the correct products. On the restored ABS components in the bathroom of my Overlander, I use Weiman-Fiberglass-Cleaner-16-oz – it dissolves soap scum as advertised and is very good with gently removing water spots . . . but if a water spot or hard water stain is too difficult for this product, I use some White Vinegar heated then gently rubbed over the surface of the spot. For the plastic toilet, I use something that is a bit more aggressive, but usually does a very good job of cleaning up most any stains present . . . Bleche White whitewall tire cleaner if the Bleche White doesn’t prove effective, I utilize about a half cup of bleach and a half gallon of water and allow that to sit in the toilet 24-48 hours to work on any heavy stains. On the vinyl-clad/laminate surfaces of walls, cabinets, etc, I utilize Murphy’s Oil Soap for general cleaning . . . . if there is stickiness on the surfaces (nicotine, oils, adhesive residue, etc.), I utilize the least expensive denatured alcohol that I can fine and apply it with a Micro-Fiber cloth. Once the thorough cleaning is complete, I often will utilize a little Lemon Pledge on the cabinetry . . . on the Vinyl-Clad-Aluminum walls, I coat them with Future Acrylic Floor Finish after they have been fully cleaned to keep the adhesives from off-gassing too quickly and making the surface sticky again. Carpets and tile on the floor take the same care products as those that you are accustomed to utilizing in the home. The windows are all tempered safety glass (at least I believe that they were by the time the 1976 coaches rolled off of the line), and you can use your favorite glass cleaner to clean and polish all of the windows. The front window rock guard, if it is original, is likely to be a bit fragile, but my suggestion would be to utilize the following to clean and polish the unit: The Proper Aircraft Window Polish . . . this product will clean and condition the surface of the acrylic guard and bring back a nice sheen unless there is excessive sun crazing.

Quote:
Some fun information:
All original intact windows
All original interior (with extra original upholstery material, still in the bag)
License plate is WB7667 (I’m not sure what this means and if it is significant)
has cooper pipes
Exterior has a few bumps and bruises but nothing I would consider major. No dents
Original 8 track player
the list goes on and on.............

For someone who is looking for a total or near totally original restoration project, it appears that you have a very good foundation for that ideal. Having all of the original windows is a big plus as the 1970s era windows while available, are costly since the frame and window are replaced as a unit. The only down-side is for a coach equipped with the optional thermo-pane windows; on these coaches it isn’t unusual for the seal to fail and the space between the two panes of glass to become contaminated with dirt and moisture . . . there are a number of thread on this problem here on the Forums. The original upholstery with the extra yardage included would be quite beneficial to someone wishing to keep the coach totally original. The original license plate has variable value to restorers . . . it is nice to have for display during vintage open houses, and can be displayed in states that permit Year of Manufacture Plates to be displayed as part of their regular registration process. The copper pipes are in a gray area . . . if they have ever been frozen (even very lightly frozen), they may have expanded to the point that they are no longer a “normal” size (even though they do not leak), this can make repairs in the event of a break difficult. Many vintage owners remove their copper plumbing and go back in with PEX for its greater resistance to light freezing. Everyone’s perception of bumps and scrapes is different, but any Airstream that is utilized to any extent is going to acquire bumps, dents and scratches . . . . the number, depth, and visibility will impact how a potential buyer might perceive them. My ’64 Overlander has bumps in its banana wraps on each front corner where the original owners’ 1957 Mercury Monterey’s bumper contacted the coach when they were backing into camping sites . . . these don’t bother me as I actually witnessed the first one on the curbside when I went on my first camping trip with them when the Overlander was brand new. The eight-track tape player is in another gray area . . . . I always thought that I would keep my ’75 Cadillac all original inside until its AM/FM 8-Track Tape player died and my radio restorer could no longer repair it . . . I had the opportunity to think about purchasing a fully restored radio of the same model from him, I passed when I though about how few 8-tracks that I had left and how rapidly they were failing . . . . and many of the 8-tracks that I had purchased via E-Bay and other sources would last about a dozen play and self-destruct . . . I ended up putting the original component on the shelf and purchased a modern reproduction with cassette and hidden CD changer to make travel enjoyable (it would be desired by someone desiring total originality, but someone looking for a coach for travel may not value it so highly).

Good luck with your project and investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote