Old 12-03-2006, 11:46 PM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
This trailer dry, weighs in at 4560 lbs (approx).

Read the door jam on your truck. What is the tow capacity and the Gross weight rating. Don't forget to add the weight of passengers and stuff.

add about 500 lbs to the dry trailer weight for stuff (light packing).

You may find that your truck is not adequat....

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:15 AM   #16
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I guess that truck will do it fine, but do check your truck specs.

I think the way the bidding at this point took a big jump you may want to think about just "buying now".

You also may have other bidders reading this thread???

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:38 AM   #17
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The current bid is just over 4K at this time. Only you know how much you want to pay for this trailer. Do you know what the reserve price is? If the trailer does not sell at the BIN price, the winning bid will most likely happen with less then a minute left. First of all, DO NOT BID NOW! Early bidding only drives the price up. To win the bid you need to get your bid in at the very last minute (second). You may want to look at a few of the snipe(r) programs that are available. Some offer a free trial for 15 days. You tell them what you want to pay (max) and the ebay item. At the last minute this service bids for you. As a buyer this may not seem fair, but this is how items are won on ebay all the time.

The other direction you could go is to offer the seller 1K for the hitch (good deal) and you will BIN. That way you get it all for 7.5K. The seller will most likely never get 2K for the used HA hitch, 1 - 1 1/2 K is a more realistic value.

It's just like Kenny Rogers said:
Quote:
You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:06 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Yeh... I thought about other bidders could be reading this thread.... No-one has gone to see it yet, and it only has 1 day left.... I really thought no-body else would buy it without seeing it first, but it appears I am wrong as the bids on the item show - I really can't understand how someone could buy something they haven't seen -

And about bidding on e-bay.... I haven't placed a bid and have my target amount set.. I won't be sucked into a bidding war and will way up its worth in the last minutes of the auction... Im in no rush and will wait to find the right one
Old 12-04-2006, 01:17 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Easy Does It!

Going back to what I said earlier about a BIN price...I think wannaroam took the words right out of my mouth to answer the question posted by Fyrzowt.

It sounds like you are really wanting this trailer, so be very careful and wise about your bidding. YES, people buy stuff on Ebay all day long without ever seeing the merchandise, ESPECIALLY Airstreams. Everyone knows their value and marketability, and you can expect someone to be on the sidelines watching this item until the very last milli-second.

If the price gets too close to the BIN, someone who's never seen the trailer just might pull the rug out from under you and BIN before you get the chance. Trust me...been there, done that a thousand times.

$7500 for the rig PLUS the H-hitch may be a great price for a rig that doesn't have major issues. Do you feel a little itchy around the trigger finger, yet?
Old 12-04-2006, 02:29 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Can anyone tell anything with sag/axle + overall condition looking at the pics?
Old 12-04-2006, 02:47 PM   #21
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayk47
Can anyone tell anything with sag/axle + overall condition looking at the pics?
From the photos, the axles need to be replaced. OEM replacements are approximately $850 each + labor.

Good luck on your quest.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Rear end separation (very common in that era, ask me how I know) can be easy to determine by standing (jumping) on the back bumper. If the frame rails move independently from the shell, you've got it. (I was kinda busy over the weekend. If I'd have seen this thread, I would have given the advice when it could have helped you more.)

The problem with a unit that old, is that unless you know the complete maintenance history of it (no plumbing leaks in bath, rear seal at beltline renewed periodically to prevent leaks from the bumper area), you may find yourself into a project you'd rather not have.

Even if there isn't any separation yet, if the floor around the edges is rotten, you'll have it soon, especially if you start moving it a lot.

I've been burned once on a '72 Overlander that was in pretty good condition (all orig, all intact) except for the rotten rear floor and frame corrosion (neither of which is very evident unless you start removing aluminum or, in your case, Pergo.

Read this
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:56 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Thanks for your replies..... 'artlink' what do you see to suggest axel replacement?? They looked in good shape to me, but im no expert...

'pizza' - Yeh I read about that test for rear end seperation etc - I actually tried it on another AS i viewed today - 69 overlander - i noticed the body moving totally independent from the frame - Underneath the steel framing was all rotten - a real messy AS - and they wanted $4000!

I checked under cabinets and looked for signs of moisture damage on the '70 AS and couldn't see anything - sub - floor boarding looked in good shape.. I didn't see any drop in flooring etc. Everything appeared pretty solid - to me anyway...

Does anyone else see anything on the pics that looks suspect?? I really don't want to take on too much work as Ive a 1970 VW bus that im restoring!
Old 12-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
If axle bars point up from tube, they need replacing.

Jay-

Looking at the bottom photo, it appears the axle torsion tubes are below the center of wheel hubs. Put another way, the side bars from torsion tube to wheel hub point up towards wheel, not down.. When new, axles point down more than 15 degrees, and as rubber fails, side plates go to horizontal and then point "up"...

What this means is old tired axles lose ability to support load with cusioning, and trailer and contents bounce harder over bumps, and clearance in wheel wells gets very tight... Replacement axles (with brake prts) can run to more than $1500 each, depending on brand (there are several possibles)

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:00 PM   #25
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Axels

This is a general rule of thumb. If the top of the wheel well is even with the top of the wheel (not the tire) the axel is shot. From your pictures you should plan on new axels in the near future.
Attached Images

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:22 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Hi... I did check the axels and noticed that they pointed downwards towards the wheel at both ends, both sides - that was something I was told to check for. Maybe its tough to see it on the pics as my camera has a big wide angle lense which might distort the pics somewhat - but the axles definately bent downwards..

But... as the last reply stated the wheels are definately high up in the wheel arch - axle replacement is something I definately don't want so everything im hearing ill take seriously... Ill probably just watch and see what the unit goes for, paying for repairs will not make this AS worth its money.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:45 PM   #27
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Axel replacement is to be expected on most all units over 15 years old, IMHO.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:16 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
listen...look....listen....read...think...I have 250+hrs in my 69 Overlander to get it camping, and still have the polishing to go. However, I'd do it again! The folks here are lifesavers and great coaches!

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote