Old 07-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I think they changed the aluminum alloy also, hence filiform corrosion.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Good years-bad years ?

Could be r Carl on the alloy though it is a natural reaction for coated aluminum that moisture gets to.

So, is there a perfect year? I say not. Yes there is floor rot and first few year pano window leaks and 70's frames And the 22' late model frame joints but not sure of bad years.

Oh and leaks at seams or riveted windows seems potentially to impact any year. I have not heard of Safari type rv windows the herr windows leaking

Old 07-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Sometime in the 80's they put OSB floors in trailers. My 81 has plywood floors. It also has a center bath which is a great idea. The center bath units have less structural problems and they are much easier to repair since you don't have to rip out the bathroom to fix rot problems. They have larger holding tanks located over the axles where they should be. The bad is that my trailer has no real wood in it. Everything is plastic coated plywood crap. Sometime in the 80's they went back to wood interior. Rot in Airstreams is very common at the back where a plate that that holds the lid to the rear bumper storage is attached. This plate funnels water into your sub floor rotting it and the frame out. The really new trailers have half as many rivets and plastic coated skin that corrodes around any edges and breaks in the coating. Other places where rot can occur is around the door and at all four corners where the straight sections meet the curved sections. Also in the late 70's-early 80's the frames got stronger by using a box beam behind the wheels instead of an open channel beam. Plan on 70's trailers to be money pits. There are lots of hack job restorations over rotted floors and frames. Sometimes the deception is deliberate and sometimes it is just plain ignorance. Laminate flooring, electric only fridges and other appliances are sometimes red flags. It takes more money to put gas appliances back in a trailer as opposed to going all electric.

Perry
Old 07-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Many people think all years are bad years for Goodyears. That's why they switch to 16" wheels.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I have a 66 Trade Wind and an 86 Limited. I see lots of differences in their construction. The 66 has Alclad aluminum, which is a real plus. The softer aluminum on the 86 shows hail dents. The 86 has beautiful hickory cabinetry that still looks great. My 66 plywood rear floor was rotted out, I believe due to a leaky toilet. My 86 only had one small spot of OSB floor rot due to diligent leak repair on the shell. Dry Airstreams last longer. OSB flooring was about 1983 till 2007. The 66 had copper plumbing, the 86 has poly. The 66 furnace and water heater were shot, same in the 86. The Dura Torque axles started in 62 which is a real plus. Airstream still uses them. The insulation is crappy in both trailers. My 66 has strong fiberglass bathroom fixtures, the 86 has ABS and develops cracks. The 66 has risky aluminum 115v wiring where the 86 has proper copper wiring. The windows are unique on the 66, but nicer in the 86. The 66 looks like a silver twinkie where the 86 is the larger, more rounded body style. My 66 frame was in good condition for being a Minnesota outdoor trailer. My 86 was good also except for some rust on the rear cross member due to water leaking into the belly pan from the rear bumper and not being able to drain out. The 66 is 48 year old RV design with outdated systems, the 86 is considerably better, and new ones are better yet.

A good condition 90s trailer would offer more travel time and less fixing while you learn all about Airstreams. But there will be fixing. It likely would be cheaper than a renovated vintage trailer. If you enjoy projects working with your hands, then renovating or even restoring a vintage Airstream will fully indoctrinate you into all things Airstream. The renovated vintage Airstreams are lighter, usually have updated systems and tow very well with smaller tow vehicles.

David
Old 07-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
"Sometime in the 80's they put OSB floors in trailers. My 81 has plywood floors"

This is something that bothers me on the floor type- OSB versus plywood. Originally I was told all Safaris had OSB but that is not the case on mine. Then, like posted here that Airstream used OSB in all models from 1981-2007 or such and such. Does anyone know this info. I just know that my '06 Safari, built in June 05 has plywood.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The only way to be sure what you are getting is to see it for yourself.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
"Sometime in the 80's they put OSB floors in trailers. My 81 has plywood floors"

This is something that bothers me on the floor type- OSB versus plywood. Originally I was told all Safaris had OSB but that is not the case on mine. Then, like posted here that Airstream used OSB in all models from 1981-2007 or such and such. Does anyone know this info. I just know that my '06 Safari, built in June 05 has plywood.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post

Who knows...

The Safari is the bottom end of their lineup correct? Our 1999 Safari has plywood floors. No OSB. Still solid.

But the clear coat... peeled well before we bought it. Stripped the rest off. I like the look ours has now, my wife doesn't.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Quote:
The Safari is the bottom end of their lineup correct? Our 1999 Safari has plywood floors. No OSB. Still solid.

But the clear coat... peeled well before we bought it. Stripped the rest off. I like the look ours has now, my wife doesn't.
Just finished looking over your website. Nice. I like the park listing with prices. It renewed my faith in lower cost campgrounds- that they are still out there. I think that $30 is pushing it for a night when you are bringing your own room!

So, at least yours and mine are plywood and that is a '99 and an '06. It must not be model line specific. I have seen pics of Airstreams with OSB flooring so they did use it at some point but on what or for what period of time?
Old 07-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Beatrice purchased Airstream in July 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
The Beatrice years were from '67 to '79. There are plenty of folks who think those are "bad" years for material quality, but I think its way blown out of proportion. The main problems seen with this era of trailer is rot in the rear end flooring, and tail end droop, sag, and separation. All of these problems are specific to the design (both the shape of the trailers, and the length), and are difficult to simply blame on "poor quality materials." As mentioned above, there are trailers built since 2000 that have cracked frames, and floors made of particle board that disintegrate when they get wet. At least the Beatrice trailers had plywood floors.
It is my understanding that 1969 (July) is when Beatrice purchased Airstream.....not sure how fast they acted but that might mean their changes came in 1970 or after IMHO.
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
My 2001 Safari 25 has OSB.

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I found this posted in 2004 by Pahaska:

Quote:
The 22-footers use a single piece of OSB for the entire floor. As far as I know, all other models use T&G plywood; I know that the larger models do. If any other models use OSB, it would be the 16' and 19'.
That contradicts you Al and Missy but I would not be surprised if they used what they had at the time of build. Pahaska is probably making reference to general rule.

He worked on a few it sounds like and found OSB in International models. It would seem again that it is not model-line specific.