Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #1

Mesa , Arizona
Good deal? Worth restoring - 1964 Safari

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I'm a noob and looking to purchase this:

Vintage...1964 Airstream Safari 22' - RARE, ready to go

I just want some reassurance that this would be a good first timer project as it is in need of a bathroom and some other necessities. I would need a/c for example.

Thoughts? Help?
Sportyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportyj View Post
Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I'm a noob and looking to purchase this:

I just want some reassurance that this would be a good first timer project as it is in need of a bathroom and some other necessities. I would need a/c for example.

Thoughts? Help?
I wouldn't take this on as a project, if you intend to replace the bathroom. It would be an incredable amount of work to put this back to original. It will never be worth 10's of thousands. It would be a great trailer if you can use it as is.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Be careful

The Safari is great! This one has had significant modifications done. Watch out for what surprises may lie under that wood floor covering. The cushions are done with a cheap thin foam...probably not a dense foam either...NOT a good deal. The other missing items are all the expensive ones....the sign of a "quick and dirty" restoration. In Phoenix (anywhere else as far as I am concerned) you will want good insulation, an awning, preferably all way around, an AC and definitely a refrigerator. As you can see it ads up.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
With no bathroom, and assuming you want one, I would pass this up for a more original unit. The other posters have it right, the cost and degree of difficulty to add a bathroom back in is very significant. Then there is the AC you want, and who knows what other things are in need of repair or replacement. This looks to be someone's idea of a cosmetic restoration. Others will come on the market which will cost you less in the long run.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Offer

If you can use it like it is, I'd offer $3500 and go from there. You can get a nice pole and rope awning for the trailer that would be great - like a 9 footer for good coverage off the trailer...

If you need a bathroom - I'd look elsewhere, like Doug states. The "entire subfloor was replaced by PO" statement concerns me... as there is the right way to do this and the "WRONG" way to do this.. without knowing how this was done, I'd be afraid!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, why is the underneath of where the bathroom easily accessible - is the belly pan gone? Did they replace the axle with a new one - at this asking price - it should have a new axle (brakes).

If you do get this, it should polish to be a beauty!! Agree on the cushions - they do look soft.

Let us know what you do.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think I would pass on that one. Looks like a cheap remodel.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Quote:

Thoughts? Help?
Sporty,

The only advice I would give....stay here awhile, do some more homework, ck our classifieds and spend time reading some of the restoration threads.

Aluminum fever strikes hard, but the symptoms last, usually forever, and are much easier rationalize over time.

POI....our first AS was a 63 22'ft Safari,(6mos work just to get roadworthy), glad we got it, but had I waited 8mos when her sister came of age for a $1000 more and ready for the Prom.

IMHO...pass on this one. Just re-checked, no streetside windows, upper clearance lights?

Bob
Old 02-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
That trailer also needs a new axle.

I would continue looking, some place else.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Not too badly priced(from a starting point) for a tailgater, stepplechaser, poolside lounger if you ask me. Not a good camper I would say.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1963 24' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
funny patches, missing windows, original axles, and tons of paint~probably hiding problems lurking within...and all say "reeeeeally cheap makeover" not done correctly! I'd run from that one. Those aren't as rare as you'd think...for that price, it should come with lots of original stuff and be pretty untouched. You'd have to gut it...and if you were going to do that, a gutted one would be a couple thousand less and you could get a pretty good idea of it's condition just from seeing the original sub floor...before even dropping the belly pan.
BurritoWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:

Thoughts? Help?
Not sure of the price but there is a early 60's Bambi for sale that has been completely restored and polished a few miles from me. If you would like I could check with the owner and see what they are asking. I know they camped in it all last year as a test of systems after the restore. It's parked with a for sale sign in front of it. I don't think it has been advertiswed anywhere yet. Let me know if I can assist. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Run from it

I would not touch this one. Thousands won't be what its future value is until you put thousands in to it , along with untold hours of work.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
John is right on the "money"! I would hold off on this one and keep looking. Ed

P.S. John check for a PM from me... Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1964, 1964 safari