Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

None , Arizona
Found another one....

Ok tell me is this one worth 1900$ ?? It looks like its missing a window.
Namaste Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namaste Mama View Post
Ok tell me is this one worth 1900$ ?? It looks like its missing a window.
Probably, but from the photo's, the Ac doesn'y belong where it's at.

Also it appears, best I can see fram an expand photo, that it needs axles.

Considering those things, and adding in some unknowns, the price seems ok.

But a big go no go, could be if the trailer has "rear end" separation, which can cost a large sum of money to repair.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

None , Arizona
How can you tell about the axels and the separation?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The missing window looks like it is just the reflection of the sun shield in the front windows. It has a second, aftermarket a/c in the front vent hole, and the original is still riveted tot he roof where it belongs.
For the separation, take a look at the frame at the rear, where it goes into the trailer. If there is separation, there will be a gap there, and/or the bumper will move relative to the body if you hop on the bumper.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

None , Arizona
I'm not to sad about the second AC, we do live in AZ and it gets so very hot in the summer! Maybe I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them. Thanks for the help you all! Your keeping me from buying a lemon!
Old 02-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I'm not to sad about the second AC, we do live in AZ and it gets so very hot in the summer! Maybe I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them. Thanks for the help you all! Your keeping me from buying a lemon!
Unless the trailer has wiring different from they way it was built, you cannot run both AC's at the same time. The wiring won't handle the currect requirement.

Andy
Old 02-04-2010, 05:37 AM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
The vista view window below the forward street side windows in the sitting area appears to be missing. They are available, but pricey. Inland Andy can probably hook you up with a source through PM. The front "wrap" window appears to have a reflective film in the window/stone guard that is not attached to the window glass.

As Andy alluded, the $1,900 may be fair but consider it the down payment as there will be lots of things to replace/repair. At the age of this trailer, most of the systems are at or near the end of their service life and they really add up when your start replacing especially if you are having it done at a dealer's repair shop. Also, there are a lot of things going on on the roof. Inspect those areas very carefully for leaks.

Let us know what you decide.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If there is no rear separation I think it is OK for $1900. If all the appliances work it is a better deal.

There are 2 tests for the axles:
1. Slither under the trailer far enough to see if the torsion arm the wheel attaches to has a downward (good) horizontal (marginal) or upward (bad) angle.
2. Jack up the side of the trailer at the axle mounting plate (be careful you get the right spot) and the trailer body should jack up at least 2-3" before the tire starts to come off the ground.
If the axles have never been changed there is a good chance they are shot.

Rear end separation is more of a problem. Watch the point where the bumper joins the trailer body when a 300# friend jumps on it. There should be very little or no movement of the bumper independant of the trailer body. Get into the storage areas in the back of the trailer and look for any rotten floor. Also the front of trailer under the gaucho, under windows, around fender wells and under the galley cabinets.

If you need that window I might have one.

There are still a lot of 70s out there. The 60s, like the other one, are a bit harder to find.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

None , Arizona
Well dang that bites if you can't use both ac's! I'm on my way soon! I'll be taking pictures and maybe a short video! And jumping on the trailer, LOL! Thanks again. I'll be back in a few hours!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Well dang that bites if you can't use both ac's! I'm on my way soon! I'll be taking pictures and maybe a short video! And jumping on the trailer, LOL! Thanks again. I'll be back in a few hours!
This is something you need to find out. Andy said,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Unless the trailer has wiring different from they way it was built, you cannot run both AC's at the same time. The wiring won't handle the currect requirement.

Andy

The Airstream might have been wired to support the operation of both A.C. units.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
It does not make sense that a 2nd AC would be installed if only one can be used. But the point is well taken, make sure so you don't burn something up.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Assuming that something electrical that is not original equipment, is properly wired, is potentially asking for a huge problem, maybe even a fire.

Check out the system, "TOTALLY" before you flip a switch.

Electricity can be a friend or an enemy.

Best you find out, before hand, for your safety.

Andy
Old 02-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #13
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
It does not make sense that a 2nd AC would be installed if only one can be used. But the point is well taken, make sure so you don't burn something up.
If the wiring has been properly modified to use both A/C's at the same time you will need 50 amp service to use them at the same time.

This is the case in some of the 34 footers. The theory is that you are occupying only one end of the trailer at a time so it is necessary to cool only one end of the trailer at a time. Also, I think the other idea is that by keeping the system at 30 amps, the trailer can be used in more campgrounds than if 50 amps were required.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

None , Arizona
Geeze. So I got there to look at the Airstream. It is missing a side window. Theres no problems in the bumper area, maybe needs axles, I took pictures on my phone I'll try to post them. The weird part? As I was leaving a lady from the dealership a lady came up and started changing the price tag which was $2500. When I asked about the change she said they were raising the price to $4000!!! Geeze. I told her it most likely wasn't worth it and from what I had been advised it could possibly need new axles. She just shugged and siad she didn't know and that it was a consignment and thats what they were doing. Shady Shady!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Geeze. So I got there to look at the Airstream. It is missing a side window. Theres no problems in the bumper area, maybe needs axles, I took pictures on my phone I'll try to post them. The weird part? As I was leaving a lady from the dealership a lady came up and started changing the price tag which was $2500. When I asked about the change she said they were raising the price to $4000!!! Geeze. I told her it most likely wasn't worth it and from what I had been advised it could possibly need new axles. She just shugged and siad she didn't know and that it was a consignment and thats what they were doing. Shady Shady!
Run, don't walk, away.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #16
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Run, don't walk, away.

I agree. Some folks think they have the last airstream available for sale.. That the reputation alone will make up for all the abuse that poor trailer has seen. All the seller see's is $$$$$$$

Crazy..

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

None , Arizona
Yup. Sigh this thread has now become my one going drama of finding the perfect Airstream! I am going to look at another tomorrow. Whats a girl to do when everyone out there thinks they can take advantage of her?
Old 02-05-2010, 02:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Yup. Sigh this thread has now become my one going drama of finding the perfect Airstream! I am going to look at another tomorrow. Whats a girl to do when everyone out there thinks they can take advantage of her?
Take pictures, post them here, and ask questions.

You can only be taken advantage of, if you allow it.

Help is here, on this Forums, but, you have to post and ask.

Andy