Old 12-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Found: 1947

I have always dreamed of having an Airstream but I don't know a lot about them(yet). I stopped yesterday at an RV place that sells a lot of Airstreams. There are a few vintage babies there; all in rough shape. One that caught my eye is a 1947 that is completely stripped out inside and the windows- while outer frames are there, the glass is not, and some galvanized metal has been inserted in some areas. The frame is still protectedby the metal guard underneath, and appears to be okay- pipe is rusted but i dont see holes- brittleness. The aluminum is dented here and there, the door has been bungled up a bit- probably vandalized sometime. I love the design though with the feathered panels and the oval-like windows. I'm guessing it's maybe around 20 feet with a single axel. Trying to get an idea what to offer. I'm going to have to get it trailered from FL to CT where I can do the work on it. I restore classic wood boats so I'm not intimidated by work...

Old 12-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I would offer $2,000.00 for the trailer, based on the information you gave. You do realize based on your information the trailer will need a new frame, axle, new floor, exterior skin (where damaged) and a entirely new interior. If it was all there, in good shape, it maybe worth at most $5,000.00. I base this on the fact you would still need to rework the frame, new axle, due to rot replace floor, and fix minor dings ext.... When done, and done correctly a trailer can sell for much much more! 62 year old trailer is becoming more and more harder to find. ....

Do not try to pull this trailer to from FL to CT, it is unsafe to do such a voyage with a Vintage Airstream of this age! Put it on a flat bed trailer and trailer it to your shop!

Good Luck, Hope that helps....Todd

Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
I've been working on this since I saw the trailer. I'm dragging my husband back over there tomorrow wish me luck!! LOL! (I'm in trouble now)
Old 12-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Congratulations on your wonderful find. I hope it's worth your while to own. Even if you don't purchase it, bring the camera. Inquisitive minds here on the Forums would love to see what it looks like.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Talking i have had one of these....

i now believe it was a 22 ft Liner.......it was a backyard find that i traded some computer work and hardware for....guy says how much can i give you...i says how about that old trailer outback...so 2 hours to take out all the storage items and some air....i towed it 5 miles back home

it was bad....inside was gone....windows for the most part gone...frame for the most part gone....we did reweld the hitch up and that worked for the trip....most outriggers were gone...we were walking on the ground thru the floor...this was a pipe frame front to back...about 4 or 5 inch pipe...thin outriggers to the shell...

so...i was speaking to a big airstream dealer near tampa...because i was there to polish up one of his delivery units.....a 40 ft...class a with box and i just off handed mentioned that i had picked this up the day before...all excited...lets get in the helicopter and go have a look....not me...not the kid....so we came to a deal....1250. check....cashed it on the way home....i delivered later that afternoon....he was sight unseen...1 hour of computer work...1250 and i was hooked like a crack dealer...this trailer now sits out in front of that very same dealership it has been worked up into an small office trailer and really looks nice...you will know the trailer if you see the small wood sign on front that explains how rare this trailer is...

since then i have bought and sold more then a dozen airstreams, spartans, avions, silver streaks, ....and an old ice fish trailer called a beemer or something like that....that was old...

this 1250 was about 6 years ago....2000 now for a trailer in similar condition...i would pay that in a minute.....

the old saying "if i knew then...what i know now"....back in the day...

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Ok everyone! It's a done deal! She's mine all mine! And honestly, I think she's in a lot better shape than I remembered!! Excited and completely exhausted... Woo. I have a nice trucker to flatbed transport up to our yard in CT. That'll happen sometime in the near future, and the first job will be to lift the shell and rework or rebuild the frame and I'll probably just get a new system because I want to be able to travel and use this trailer. So most likely I'll hang the old frame up in the rafters if the carriage shed and put a nice brandy new frame axel and suspension on this old gal. I am really looking forward to having fun.

Leefields: I saw your ex-1948 I stopped in and visited her and the others. Even took a couple pix

I am working with just an iPhone right now so I'm going to see if any moderators could accept emails from me and post my pix from those. I can only do one at a time but I do have photos!!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Just be present when the trucker shows up... you don't want him banging up your shell or squeezing the roof too tight, bending anything.

Sounds fun! Can't wait to see pics too!
Congrats, and welcome to the community!
Marc
Old 12-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1969 27' Overlander
Wichita , Kansas
Pricing - Trip Home

The older the better, nothing like an older gal ready to be updated. Just thought I would give my 2 cents as-well. I found a 48 south of me a few months back. She is in great shape, however the owner gave me one price and when i went to pick her up he more then doubled, i had to walk. Nothing like a few extra third basemen given there 2 cents as-well. I agree with the message above. Anywhere from $1000.00 to $1800.00 would be where I would give. Keep in mind the expense to bring her home. ("On a flat bed or rollback")...The work you do is priceless. Hope you get her home soon. I would like to see photos also if you have them... Good Luck

Airdaddy
Wichita, Kansas
Old 12-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Here is the Trailer

Fresh from Silverfoxrae's iPhone.

Here's the new trailer.

Congratulations,

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47-1.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	92026  

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
That looks great! The first tool you'll need to buy is a nice digital camera so you can feed us all a high res streaming restoration feed
Old 12-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #11
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Talking looks real....

nice...congrats on a great trailer....

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
In CT I have the computer and camera... FL is my homestead but it's more of a cottage-- 1920 Craftsman Bungalow. I am only packing my phone right now. That first pic. is off the webpage of the RV place. If my friend wants to upload another I can see if the iphone ones are any better I wasn't planning on moving back to CT before June but now I might have to visit when this one arrives. Trucker has a custom kneeling flatbed and has been doing this for some time. He's insured too so that is good. I am calling today to set up, prob. after the holidays. I'm going to try to steal a few friends to come with and watch her load/ take pictures... I'll try anyway!! I feel like I've just given birth-- immaculate conception ha ha
Old 12-04-2009, 06:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Congratulations!

Silverfoxrae-

Congratulations on the first step in the journey. You'll spend far more time and money on a "full monty" than anticipated. Some days it will just not feel worth it. When you get near the end though, you'll be very proud.

With a trailer of this vintage it will be so, so worth it. What a great start!

Like many here, I hope you do a great job documenting your work.

John
Old 12-04-2009, 07:06 AM   #14

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
A Few More Pictures

Here are some additional exterior shots of Silverfoxrae's new project.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	92011   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	92012  

Name:	photo3.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	92013   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	92014  

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1947, trailer values