Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2016, 01:16 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, not to brag, but our Airstream cost was 11,000 times more than our yearly income, and we still paid cash for it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Las Vegas , Nevada
Justification

No justification, empty nest, within reason wanted to go 1st cabin - Airstream. If you want to play, you have to pay.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:45 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
What can I say?
I have never done anything so financially irresponsible in my life, but I love my trailer!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:45 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Justifying purchase

Before you dig too deeply in the math, practice by trying to economically justify getting married. Some things just don't calculate.
Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
My trailer was acquired new in 1969 by my parents. I've had to recently replace key items like copper water tubing for pec, new water heater, new AC, etc.. but otherwise the trailer looks and actually is the exact same trailer as it was when we brought it home in 1969 including the carpeting. I don't worry about the trailer when I'm on a trailer trip because it just works, instead I focus on having fun on my trips. Is that worth the additional cost that, even in 1969, was a premium over what other trailers my parents could have decided on? That is for each person to answer themselves. The same argument comes into any depreciating asset discussion including motorhomes, cars, airplanes, boats (now there's a big one), riding mowers (I'm buying a brand new John Deere instead of a generic MTD make - but is the Deere really worth the extra? - some may ask) motorcycles, original art, etc.. One can build an rationalization for themselves to purchase anything but in the end, something is worth exactly what someone will pay for it. And for now as I understand it Airstream is selling every single trailer they can build ...
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:53 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
(If your first response was bull****, you hit the nail on the head.)

Anyone with a basic grasp of financial reality can absolutely prove that there is no way to financially justify owning an Airstream. Even if you full-time in one (as I do) it's still a depreciating asset - and no matter how much money you pour into maintaining it, you'll only reduce the depreciation fractionally, and you'll never see any increase in value.

A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by wood or fiberglass...
...into which you pour money!

An RV is a hole in the atmosphere...
and this one ends exactly the same way!

So how CAN we really justify WASTING our money on these expensive toys?

The justification is to be part of a genuine FAMILY and sometimes a genuine TRIBE. How many "families" do you know which are no more than a group of people who occupy the same dwelling and yet seem to have nothing in common? And school - which for me was a refuge from a screwed up family? Now students at schools think they are practicing "freedom of speech" by bullying other students sometimes even to death?

The RV community as a whole has a lot of genuinely nice people - and quite a few wannabe's who hopefully can be welcomed and be convinced to drink the cool-aid....

Being an Airstreamer to me simply means taking TIME and FOCUSING on things like companionship, the joy of being helpful now and then, the tall tales told around campfires, the touching sight of a three year old kids "helping" daddy put down the stabilizers and helping mommy put up the screen room... and their parents patiently concealed laughter. It also means claiming victory after changing my own tire, and cramming that wretched 16 inch spare into the 15 inch carrier, and even if I do smell like a goat and look like a fright - Politely thanking a neighbor for offering his torque wrench, and then pulling out my Snap-On tool... so he can put away his Harbor Freight model.

And after I get over that moment of snobbery - telling the truth. I have an Airstream and a few top of the line tools, and YOU have three grandchildren having the time of their lives. Envy? I envy you (NOW!) 15 years ago when you were raising bratty teenagers... whew You paid your dues, and I dodged the bullets.

For me, being an Airstreamer means enjoying the finer things, but really relishing the finer people who participate in the family or tribe or cult. It also means never looking down on anyone with a SOB - if they've got the heart, the Airstream will find them in the fullness of time.

I'm Retiring next month and I can't stop being Pollyanna. Feel like I've been sipping on some really good white wine.

I'm going to stop procrastinating ... tomorrow or the day after.

Carpe Diem! Or seize the Carp for all I care.

This morning I had coffee sitting on the step of Eddie Haskill and I watched the wind blow the last of the blossoms off of the wisteria vines that grow wild here in Virginia. It's a good day to be alive.

Paula
My sentiments exactly. I don't view it as an investment question, I see it more like pride and pleasure of ownership. Especially nearing or being in retirement.
The Germans have a great saying that expresses it well: The last shirt has no pockets.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:48 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
When people ask me why I spend so much for a Airstream, I tell them it's like the Single Malt Scotch I buy that cost $ 85.00++ a bottle and be able to travel all over the USA in a Airstream, is because I can.

If you have dreams of doing something, better do it ASAP.

NO ONE GETS OF OF THIS ALIVE, we do have a expiration date.
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:11 PM   #28
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
So, in one month someone will pay you not to go to work. And you are wringing your hands in worry, Pollyanna?
Over what?
Your tales of travel, trauma, & tribulations are threaded here.
Is it the concept of having the whole world to play in, over the need to stay somewhat close to your rapidly decreasing time at work?

Have fun, , ,
Old 04-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #29
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
That was a little deep for a Tuesday (I got this 4/26/16).

All great comments here. Loved reading it.

For me, I was 37 when we bought our 2014 Cloud 19 brand new from the lot. I hear all sorts of great stories RV'ing. I get a lot of nods and people coming up to me about AS (Ramses). It gives me a sense of pride that I never knew about.

AS to me is a finer things in life I am glad we were able to get. I don't drive a fancy car, I don't own a fancy house, but I do own an AS. Now sure what it tells me about my character, but I think I made a good choice. It is pricey, but not once did I regret. I have been wanting one ever since I saw it on History Channel, and one day, pulled the trigger and got it.

To my friends, they can't see the justification for buying an AS. They bought a bigger that cost less and they are happy. But what justification can you really have for buying an excess of something? It is worth what it is worth to you only. I can't imagine buying a $100k car, even IF I could afford it.

My kids are 8 and 11 now and they can enjoy Ramses with me and the wife for a few more years until they get big enough to get their tent :-).

I hope when it is time for me to retire, I still have my AS and enjoy the country.

I love this forum.
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Tangible goodness

I bought my 2012 Airstream a few years ago instead of investing in the market as I have been advised over and over again. "You're making a big mistake" they said. I know a lot of people out there would agree. I could give a rat's a*$@%@. Best money I ever "invested" in was my Airstream. Worth the $40,000 plus just to look at it. Beer tastes better in it.

Trace
tracenuttall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:45 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I worked 120 hour weeks for many, many years saving my pennies.
Then the bad economy of 2008...
Opened my eyes-
I decided to enjoy some of my money now rather than wait for retirement.
My money could be gone before retirement.
Now I work 45-50 hours per week and camp a lot...
Stuff- money and things- don't matter.
Relationships matter.
People matter.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-26-2016, 02:49 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Lohman , Missouri
I also worried about the expense of buying one.
I had a different travel trailer for 4 years but always, always, wanted an Airstream. Once I decided that in my retirement I wanted to travel all the states, I wanted something more reliable and comfortable then what I had.
I began seriously looking at Airstreams. Knowing the way I am, I knew I was always going to want one, and wouldnt be happy or satisfied until I got one. So, I just had to do it and I did. I have had it for about a year.
Havent made it to too many states but have done alot of weekend camping in Missouri State Parks.
I just love it, and am very proud to own an Airstream.
Get it, and enjoy it while you can!!
51coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:51 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I, too, had another brand travel trailer for about 2 years, 4 months.
Always wanted an Airstream-
Could never be satisfied with the other trailer-
Now I have my trailer for life.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-26-2016, 02:57 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Our Airstream is easy to justify financially. It's cheaper and far more effective than psychiatric care.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Clearwater , Florida
I think you have confused investment assets with depreciating items. My 2014 cost a lot. I am making a accelerated payments to insure no debt after I retire. I should get 20 years or so of camping enjoyment. My kids will likely use it or sell it when I am gone. It might be "worth" $10k. The value of the time traveling and camping is immeasurable! Enjoy life while you can, you can't take it with you.
ChuckFeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:19 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Financially justify the cost of a new Airstream.

Hahahahahaha--funniest thing I've heard in a long time!

Before we retired, I ran a graphic design firm. Just HAD to have one. Airstream or nothing.

What else would match my vintage MacBook Pro 17"?😊
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:16 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Yorba Linda , California
Can't put a price on the places we've been, the sights we've seen, the people we've met. Don't forget the conversations we may not have had without our riveted wonders. Thank you Rosie.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Bettendorf , Iowa
Really...?

I quit justifying myself many years ago.
I am much happier for not justifying myself.
I am a flawed human that likes being.
26,000 miles in the past two years with our Airstream and we love it.
Just bought a new Pendleton.
No justification needed.
DavidIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:55 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Here is my "justification":

It saved my life as I got outside and reduced my stress! Working 65 hours or more a week was taking it's toll!

Now I should actually live much longer to collect my pension and Social security!

I can't put a price on it all, but I am LIVING MY LIFE and that is worth more that money.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #40
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
If you are blessed with a few hours notice of your death and afforded the opportunity to reflect on your life, you will not remember what things cost - you will remember your experiences.

I figure that with all our travels we have been able to amortize our AS cost to something like 350$ per night at this point. Makes no sense of course- but the friends made, the experiences, adventure and plain old fun and flavouring of life - priceless.