Old 04-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
I'm not sure why anyone would feel you needed to justify the purchase of an Airstream. Just hang out and enjoy life.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Live Reveted.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	261512  

Trying to use my camera to create memories - not photographs!

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:36 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
REAL camping is not in an Airstream...

My wife and I enjoyed camping in a Tent. Our 4x4 took us anywhere we wanted to go. We could carry one to two weeks of supplies Off the Grid. The air mattress was comfortable. Multiple layers of sleeping bags added to the insulating design of our tent. The space needed to set up camp was minimal, it took thirty minutes to set camp and we were home.

Along came 2006. Our out door camping lives were perfect. We bought an Airstream.

Now I frequent an internet site for Airstream owners.

Owners seem to be always fixing things.
Owners see to be always buying more things for their Airstream.
Owners pay to camp.
Owners want home luxuries in what they consider a Camping Experience... which it is not.
Owners pay to store their Airstream.
Owners need insurance for their Airstream, even though minimal for the dollar amount.

The Tent used to be large enough for two human beans (one baked, one not), two Blue Heelers.

We bought a 25 foot Airstream. Kept the tent as a back up. The 23 foot was a bit cramped. We use to have the entire outdoors as our campsite. Now we are enclosed in our trailer with windows to look outside.

The Airstream was NOT a Purchase to replace our Tent. It was an... INVESTMENT in our future.

An investment in our health and well being. At any time we can pack the tent into the Airstream, park the trailer and go anywhere we want to Tent Camp. We both remember those days when life was simple and we were young camped in a tent. I feel sorry for those who skipped tent camping. You will never know what 'real camping' is all about.

An Airstream is much too comfortable. I think I will take a nap.

Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
........ snip....
I'm Retiring next month and I can't stop being Pollyanna. Feel like I've been sipping on some really good white wine.

I'm going to stop procrastinating ... tomorrow or the day after.

Carpe Diem! Or seize the Carp for all I care.

This morning I had coffee sitting on the step of Eddie Haskill and I watched the wind blow the last of the blossoms off of the wisteria vines that grow wild here in Virginia. It's a good day to be alive.

It gets better!
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #60
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
So how CAN we really justify WASTING our money on these expensive toys?
Wasting? It's all about how you define wasting and how you asses cost vs. pleasure. If you draw analogies to other purchases in your life it makes more sense.

Car: These are used for get around. If you only need to get from point a to point b then a truly frugal person would buy the cheapest car possible, weighing the longterm cost of ownership but excluding comfort, coolness and driving pleasure. Car and Driver says that would be a stripped Honda Civic.

Shoes: These keep your feet dry and safe. If style and comfort is not an issue then a $3 pair from the Goodwill should do nicely.

House: A place to live, sleep and store your stuff. Again if function is the only driver than a small, no frills place with a few folding chairs, a mattress and light bulb would suffice.

We spend more money on these items than is minimally required for a variety of reasons but mostly for our own pleasure and comfort.

Buying an Airstream is no different. Yes, you could buy another camper for less money but would it make you happy? Does your heart sing when you grab hold of the door handle and pull out the maps?

The point here is that while it's possible to justify the expense of an Airstream (cost of ownership over time), there is no reason to. Personal pleasure is good enough reason.

Now, what color interior would you like?
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #61
Rivet Slave
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
We discovered via an inherited B+ motor home that we loved RV camping. Then we decided to switch to an Airstream travel trailer because we had great memories of parents camping in theirs before they went to the B+. The only math we did was to determine whether we could afford one after selling the B+. The answer was "yes," and here we are.

There is no real financial "justification" for buying an Airstream as a part-timer / camper like us. If it makes someone feel better to have something that looks to them like a positive ROI for owning an RV in general or an Airstream in particular, we're happy for them but they're not fooling us.

BTW, we're with Moosetags on the question of other campers. We enjoy their company, regardless of what kind of RV or tent they may be using, and the differences generate some pretty interesting conversations over s'mores, etc.
Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:30 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
. . .
It's a good day to be alive.

End of discussion!

Keep breathing . . . own whatever toys you want . . . life is short . . .

Let the Summer Games begin!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:26 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
Alan - does collecting insurance on the tree crushed '78 Sovereign count

and how!
1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:36 AM   #64
Rivet Master
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Well, if time is money, than money is time. And spending time well = good use of money to me.

Often I get questions about why I drive a truck (even though many others do so. I guess the sight of a professionally dressed woman in a big Tundra is not that common).

So I say that I use it sometimes for my job (I sell equipment, and do sometimes deliver things to my customers. = Street Cred!) And I say that we recently have gotten into camping and we have a small camping trailer.

My point now.
I get this reaction when I say we got a camper, and then in the next few remarks say it is an Airstream. Almost always, people say "I have always wanted one of those".

This summer we are going to Yellowstone.

"I have always wanted to go there!"

This from people who have been to Disney, on cruises, maybe to Europe.

How can you afford NOT to spend you time doing what you always wanted?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:44 AM   #65
Rivet Master
1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
For most of us, an Airstream is a toy. Toys need no financial justification. All that is needed is that we can afford them without sacrificing financial peace and security.

They pay us back in intangibles, like peace of mind, stress relief, time outdoors, seeing new parts of the country. Those intangibles can improve our health and well-being.

In other words, there are paybacks the accountants can't see. Happy Airstreaming!
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:03 AM   #66
Airstreamer in Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I think there is another side to the "financial justification" argument outside of "can I afford it". Let's take that out of the equation. So, is it worth paying $100K for a new Airstream when I can get another brand, bigger, for $30K?

In other words, are Airstreams 3 times better than the competition?

I struggled with this a lot. The same applies to buying used. I can get a used late model Airstream (2012/13) for $50K or another brand for $15K. In the end, I felt that the build quality of the Airstream justified the premium price. I would prefer to buy once and keep for a long time than have to upgrade or exchange 5 years from now. But it was a tough sell, especially with how roomy some of the competition is. But in the end, its not about how much room you have, but about how you use the room you have.

That is my opinion.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30' Recliner: Base weight 6422, GVWR 8800
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle: 6.2L, 403hp, 417 ft-lb., 4x2, 3.42 axle ratio, Max Payload 1573, Max Towing 8300.
ZBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:12 AM   #67
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
In the end, the more room a person has, the more they fill this space with crap that they don't need or even use....

Superat stultitia.
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:19 AM   #68
Rivet Master
1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
It's funny how I have heard investments in health and lack of stress more than once in this thread, but you open lots of other threads with guys worrying about blowouts, leaks, dings, rotten floors, missing rivets, and a whole long list of stressful things these trailers bring on.....
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:39 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
I was asked why I bought an Airstream and I simply said because I did't have one.
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:58 AM   #70
4 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari
Chattanooga , Tennessee
If your Airstream is not a necessity (ie: full time home or needed for business travel, etc.) I would view it as a toy. The expense of toys is not justifiable. I think trying to justify the cost of toys is really rationalization. I have toys because I want them, and can afford them.

Don and Lou----Don posting
'06 Safari 25 LS
'97 Chevy Suburban K2500 Diesel
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote