Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Justifications? Reasons? I'll take a stab at it:
My 2nd home is INSIDE every National Park in the USA. Try that with your lake cabin.

An Airstream (or other silver trailer) blends into a beautiful landscape by reflecting it. White Box trailers do not blend in.

Eric
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:58 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Love love love this thread!

😀
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
It's my money, I can blow it anyway I want.

I paid more in taxes last year then the cost of my Airstream. That hurt and was unjustified as far as I am concerned.

Buying an Airstream was pure joy and therefore quite justified.

It's a matter of priorities. Joy being high on my list. Making everything a financial transaction is not high on my list.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:44 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Seeing how happy my wife is and enjoying our travels in the "Wee One" (our 23D) is what life is all about. She is happy in the Classic, but estatic in the 23D. Go figure!

We want to enjoy life and are working on unloading the stuff that we suddenly realized owned us rather than the other way around.

The concept of a second home on wheels was mentioned above which is what came to us several years ago when we got started with the Airstream adventure. The annual expenses associated with the stationary second home will more than cover the operational costs every year of both Airstreams and their associated tow vehicles along with camp sites, our Airstream RV lot in the mountains, fuel and whatever.

The forum has been a huge source of the information I have gained for the Airstream adventure and the many solutions to a problem are better than any service department out there. Thanks for all of the input.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:14 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Well, I have had a enough of people trying to justify in their own minds why they can buy a AS.

Some are really good and some just have to much time on their hands and trying to figure out why they bought the thing.

I wish you all the best, hooking up and going camping.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We are going through mid life crisis right now so financial justification doesn't compute.

Kelvin
Old 04-27-2016, 09:49 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Financial Justification for an Airstream

Buying an Airstream is no worse an investment than buying any new vehicle.

All vehicles depreciate from day one.

Everyone can get by with a used vehicle, but that is not what most people do.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:10 PM   #48
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I bought what I wanted. I bought less than I could afford. I paid cash. I don't need to justify anything to anyone but myself. I sleep well with my choices.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:50 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Financial Justification for an Airstream

Heh. We sort of inherited our AS from our youngest son. So it stays in the family. He's the only other person in the family that gets to use it, since he knows what he is doing. We never bothered with a financial justification. We just go camping.

(And dumping maintenance and upgrade money into it, sigh)

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:38 PM   #50
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dames7 View Post
When people ask me why I spend so much for a Airstream, I tell them it's like the Single Malt Scotch I buy that cost $ 85.00++ a bottle and be able to travel all over the USA in a Airstream, is because I can.

If you have dreams of doing something, better do it ASAP.

NO ONE GETS OF OF THIS ALIVE, we do have a expiration date.

Wholeheartedly agree!
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
Can not think of a better brand if you buy a Vintage AS, permanently fix the all too common design flaws after a 100% gut. Then reconstruct to make it extreme all season, maintenance free, "boondockable", super light weight, back country capable and have all contents moveable outside under the awning. You now have a 1958 Caravanner for which there is no industry comparable. (and spend only $11K).
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:26 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Sebring , Florida
I just entered the AS "family" by purchasing a 1969 Overlander. Buying it as a known "project", and that is the fun in the whole process. Learning a great deal from the forums as we put it back to road worthy condition.

A number of years ago I survived stage 3-4 cancer and it taught me an important lesson in life, you make the best of everyday you have. Don't live foolishly, but with a purpose and a zest for life. Maker the world better for those around you.

I'm about to retire from teaching, maybe coming back next year part time, but I see the AS project as something my wife and I will enjoy, traveling north to see the grand children. When we are at the point we can't do the AS thing, our kids will make good use of it. AS are timeless and that was the reason we bought it and not some other type.

One of my other passions is flying, and I spend a great deal of time helping youth get involved in aviation through a number of programs. Can I justify the cost of flying? Not really, but it is a part of what brings me joy and how I can serve others.

One of the similar things I see so far with the AS community and what I have experienced in the world of aviation, is the quality of the people you meet and their passion for what they do.

As a pilot, I've spent many hours in an FBO pilot lounge waiting on weather in the company of other pilots. It doesn't matter what you fly, single engine trainer of the big iron jets, you are a part of a fraternity that enjoys the sky and flight.

It appears the same with the AS community, doesn't matter the size or year of your AS, but you are out there using it. The responses to thoughts and questions in this forum is proof. I am very honored to have become a participant, thank you!

John
John Rousch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:38 AM   #53
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
I almost never justify or explain any financial justification about owning an Airstream. But these two quotes might give some insight about my reasoning.

Mark Twain wrote:
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do."

Willie Nelson sang:
“Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never see again”
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Concord , California
I don't view it as a depreciation of an asset. It is the cost of having fun. Any passionate hobby is going to cost a lot and usually can't be justified. If it feels good and you can afford it, go for it. You can't take it with you to the Pure Land.
Happy Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I'm on my 4th Airstream, all have been vintage.
I made enough money on the first 3 so that the 4th was essentially free.
Free is good.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #56
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Alan - does collecting insurance on the tree crushed '78 Sovereign count

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
I'm not sure why anyone would feel you needed to justify the purchase of an Airstream. Just hang out and enjoy life.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Live Reveted.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	261512  
Old 04-28-2016, 02:36 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
REAL camping is not in an Airstream...

My wife and I enjoyed camping in a Tent. Our 4x4 took us anywhere we wanted to go. We could carry one to two weeks of supplies Off the Grid. The air mattress was comfortable. Multiple layers of sleeping bags added to the insulating design of our tent. The space needed to set up camp was minimal, it took thirty minutes to set camp and we were home.

Along came 2006. Our out door camping lives were perfect. We bought an Airstream.

Now I frequent an internet site for Airstream owners.

Owners seem to be always fixing things.
Owners see to be always buying more things for their Airstream.
Owners pay to camp.
Owners want home luxuries in what they consider a Camping Experience... which it is not.
Owners pay to store their Airstream.
Owners need insurance for their Airstream, even though minimal for the dollar amount.

The Tent used to be large enough for two human beans (one baked, one not), two Blue Heelers.

We bought a 25 foot Airstream. Kept the tent as a back up. The 23 foot was a bit cramped. We use to have the entire outdoors as our campsite. Now we are enclosed in our trailer with windows to look outside.

The Airstream was NOT a Purchase to replace our Tent. It was an... INVESTMENT in our future.

An investment in our health and well being. At any time we can pack the tent into the Airstream, park the trailer and go anywhere we want to Tent Camp. We both remember those days when life was simple and we were young camped in a tent. I feel sorry for those who skipped tent camping. You will never know what 'real camping' is all about.

An Airstream is much too comfortable. I think I will take a nap.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
........ snip....
I'm Retiring next month and I can't stop being Pollyanna. Feel like I've been sipping on some really good white wine.

I'm going to stop procrastinating ... tomorrow or the day after.

Carpe Diem! Or seize the Carp for all I care.

This morning I had coffee sitting on the step of Eddie Haskill and I watched the wind blow the last of the blossoms off of the wisteria vines that grow wild here in Virginia. It's a good day to be alive.

Paula
Congratulations!
It gets better!
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #60
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
So how CAN we really justify WASTING our money on these expensive toys?
Wasting? It's all about how you define wasting and how you asses cost vs. pleasure. If you draw analogies to other purchases in your life it makes more sense.

Car: These are used for get around. If you only need to get from point a to point b then a truly frugal person would buy the cheapest car possible, weighing the longterm cost of ownership but excluding comfort, coolness and driving pleasure. Car and Driver says that would be a stripped Honda Civic.

Shoes: These keep your feet dry and safe. If style and comfort is not an issue then a $3 pair from the Goodwill should do nicely.

House: A place to live, sleep and store your stuff. Again if function is the only driver than a small, no frills place with a few folding chairs, a mattress and light bulb would suffice.

We spend more money on these items than is minimally required for a variety of reasons but mostly for our own pleasure and comfort.

Buying an Airstream is no different. Yes, you could buy another camper for less money but would it make you happy? Does your heart sing when you grab hold of the door handle and pull out the maps?

The point here is that while it's possible to justify the expense of an Airstream (cost of ownership over time), there is no reason to. Personal pleasure is good enough reason.

Now, what color interior would you like?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote