Old 07-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #1

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Londonderry , New Hampshire
Fair price for 1979 Excella 28' Motorhome

I have just purchased a 1979 Airstream Excella 28 motorhome.

It was purchased for resale only and I would like to find a fair market value for the motorhome. So far I think I got a deal but who knows.

I thought this would be a good place to start.

As far as I can tell it seems about as original as could be, down to the shag carpet and 8 track tape player.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:50 PM   #2

Bartlett , New Hampshire
I am not sure what market value would be without seeing it but maybe some details (Mileage,Condition, Floorplan etc) would help with a fair number...

Old 07-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #3

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Londonderry , New Hampshire
I would classify it as average condition. The rugs are still original but are clean and not matted down at the entry.
There was some minor damage at one of the rear windows and some water did enter and do some minor damage.
The mileage is 107,000 and she runs and drives wonderfully.

Twin beds in rear.

The gen has not been running and I have not plugged the MH in to find out if the appliances are in working order but I have no reason to believe they are not.

I really thought I would have no trouble selling it for about $ 7000.00 but it seems I may have been mistaken
Old 07-17-2009, 03:54 AM   #4

Bartlett , New Hampshire
There are many unknowns there(Eng,Trans,Water damage,unknown condition of appliances,gen set), could turn into a huge project if someone wanted to run her down the road.
Any one group of issues could turn into several thousands of dollars in a blink of an eye... 107k miles on a big block in that application,that is allot of miles if it is the original motor and trans...Reading around this site sounds like anything over 70k miles and you should be expecting the worse.
There are allot of factors against you with the soft economy(flooded with Rv's here in the N.E) that will eliminate allot of potential 1st time buyers.You are now looking at the tail end of the rv buying season here in New England,at least it drops off substantially.
If it where me? I would have an RV tech come to you or you to him and get the appliances checked out and working,if they are in good shape it shouldnt take all that long to do.The more turn key she is the better your chances of turning a profit or cutting your losses at this point.Maybe at the same time he/she could give you an idea of value in the local market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn. Goose View Post
I would classify it as average condition. The rugs are still original but are clean and not matted down at the entry.
There was some minor damage at one of the rear windows and some water did enter and do some minor damage.
The mileage is 107,000 and she runs and drives wonderfully.

Twin beds in rear.

The gen has not been running and I have not plugged the MH in to find out if the appliances are in working order but I have no reason to believe they are not.

I really thought I would have no trouble selling it for about $ 7000.00 but it seems I may have been mistaken
Old 07-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
owensLander

1966 26' Overlander
1958 18' "Footer"
1963 16' Bambi
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I just bought one yesterday and gave way more than $7000. It is a cute little 24' 1979 Airstream....not Argosy and pertty much orginal. AND RUNS!!! Does anyone know how many of the short 1979 were made?