Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
middleboro , Massachusetts
Does this hurt value?

I thought this could be a learning tool for us all. I read it in my local paper.
Driver rolls new trailer on Route 44 in Raynham - News - The Taunton Daily Gazette, Taunton, MA - Taunton, MA
supergg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Yes, the results are much better if you know how to tow a trailer when doing so.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
OMG ! I would die from embarrassment if I did this. Would insurance even cover this accident?
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Insurance claim paid? If he had it before leaving the lot? Yes. Next year his rates will skyrocket! I was taught to tow by a friend - and also picked up a lot of helpful advice here and there. I think it might have been Pharmgeek who clued me in on the idea that some truck driving schools offer courses in RV towing. I'm sure it isn't a huge money maker for them, but it could be really good publicity to hook up with an RV dealer and offer spring safety checks, new driver courses (for teenaged to early adult children who are moving into helping the parents tow and spouses who need to take on helper or primary driver roles)... This kind of accident happens all too frequently, and would be largely avoidable if there were ANY laws in any states requiring testing of RV drivers. Of course we all hate more legislation and license fees... but RV dealers would do a great service to let lookers know where to get additional instruction.

Paula
Old 03-09-2015, 02:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Well, you know "they" say you loose value the minute you drive a new trailer off the lot...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Talk about an embarrassing situation! I bet that driver wanted to crawl under a rock and hide after that!
Old 03-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
kinda funny...in a sick kinda way. Hope he learned his lesson and will take the insurance money (if any) and buy an AS. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
After leaving off my hitch pin last summer and having to replace the Barker jack and slightly damaging my propane tank cover and putting a crease in my Tundra bumper I don't feel so bad about my brain fart.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:50 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
middleboro , Massachusetts
If you zoom in on the photo you can see the dealership on the left side background. This was the first turn they attempted.
supergg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
Talk about an embarrassing situation! I bet that driver wanted to crawl under a rock and hide after that!
Wellll, maybe. I would bet he had an excuse why it wasn't his fault within a minute. It seems that nobody is at fault for anything these days. He's probably looking for a "good" lawyer to sue somebody for his misfortune.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
kinda funny...in a sick kinda way. Hope he learned his lesson and will take the insurance money (if any) and buy an AS. jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryV View Post
Wellll, maybe. I would bet he had an excuse why it wasn't his fault within a minute. It seems that nobody is at fault for anything these days. He's probably looking for a "good" lawyer to sue somebody for his misfortune.
Funny?

Someone has an unfortunate event occur and we can bet they are blaming it on someone else, or that they learned their lesson?

Unless someone has published an accident report we don't know the circumstances. This is unfortunate at best and hopefully no one was hurt.

Airstream or SOB's they all make up the RV community that I am a part of. Life offers daily lessons and we'd do well to be thankful for what we have.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I was trying to figure out how in the world he flipped it there. But I downloaded the picture and zoomed in. Then it hit me....there's a 3' or 4' tall bank parallel to the highway. He must have turned as though he were not pulling a trailer; so he cut it too sharp and probably drove one side of the trailer up onto that bank and then rolled it over. The whole thing was at low speed as he pulled onto the freeway.

Still very embarassing. I'd go crawl under a rock!
Old 03-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sad. At least two things make it less sad:

1) Nobody was injured. (Pride doesn't count)

2) It's an SOB, not an Airstream...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #14
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
On the upside, it knocked off the snow on the roof of the trailer which would have flown off on the highway, landing on the minivan travelling behind, full of kids, causing the driver to flinch into oncoming traffic hitting another van full of kids head on.

Everything has a reason for happening; maybe next time he'll clean off the trailer.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:55 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Evil snow!!!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:42 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Well, you know "they" say you loose value the minute you drive a new trailer off the lot...

Shari
OMG, this is the perfect time to use that line, with an obviously implied sarcastic, but funny undertone. I feel bad for the person who just bought the travel trailer, but this is too good of a situation to pass up to use that saying. I waited years for someone to ask me to call them a cab, so I said "ok, you're a cab!" or when there was an empty seat next to me and someone asked if anyone was sitting there, and I boldly replied "does it look like it?" These are all situations where you have a once in a blue moon chance to use the perfect one-liner in a smart@$$ way, and it so works!

If I were there, I'd definitely stop to help and make sure everyone was OK. But I'm sure it wouldn't be long before I let an inappropriate, sarcastic remark slip out to a complete stranger. Who knows, it might break the ice and make them crack a smile if I said "well, they say your new trailer drops in value the minute you drive it off the dealer's lot..." Either that or I'd get a punch in the face.

Incidentally, I agree with what others said, he or she probably was driving as if there was no trailer in tow. Every once in a while I forget and "almost" make my right side trailer tires run over a curb, but I usually catch myself and pull forward more before turning any further, or making a wider turn. Lucky for me I used to drive a school bus, and that training and experience never left me, and much of it is applicable to towing a 25 foot trailer.
JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote