Old 03-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Austin , Texas
Question Does NADA have any bearing on reality? International 23D

We (DW and I) are new to Airstreams, but have been looking for several months now. We were looking at Sport 22's and really liked them, but now we have focused the 23D International, 2007+. There are two we are looking at seriously.

So, the question. Does NADA have any bearing on reality when it comes to real-world airstream values and sales prices? Is it more accurate for newer ones or older ones or is it mostly just a straight depreciating formula from MSRP?

I know from buying and selling motorcycles, especially older ones, that NADA is comically wrong in many instances. Newer bikes seem to be closer to accurate values, but beyond five or ten years they are inaccurate.

I ask for a couple reasons. They don't even list the 2007 23D international as an available model. Using the 2008 values, a 2007 CCD model might be 'worth' $34,600. We are also looking at a 2009 model and it is listed at $41,600. Doesn't make much sense for 1 year to make $6k difference.

To what degree is NADA reliable for A/S values?

Also, what is a good price on an 09 International 23D CCD from a private party? And what is a good price on an 07 International 23D CCD from a private party?

I think these two trailers I am looking at are pretty good deals, but I need to prove it to myself and to my DW.

TIA,

smeg

Old 03-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Generally I would say it only provides a very rough approximation. Keep in mind that whereas the NADA for autos is done per state, the RV edition is a national one. Prices can vary widely depending upon location. When I was looking for my AS, I allowed a year (actually was looking prior to that but not yet committed to purchasing) to look. There are a lot of places on line that you can find used RVs. A good place to get an idea for market prices is the RV section of eBay. When I was looking, I would put any AS that remotely met my requirements on my watch list. Even though I wasn't bidding on them, it gave me a lot of information about what these units were actually bringing. After a while, I had a pretty good idea of what prices different years and models were bringing.

07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
In general NADA's RV prices don't seem to be thought to be as accurate as their car prices. There are a couple of threads in broader-scope RV forums about this that a google search would bring up. There seems to be doubt as to whether the RV prices are based on actual sales to the same extent as with cars.

With newer Airstreams in like-new condition, Airstream dealers seem to be pricing them at only a slight discount to the typical negotiated sales prices for new trailers.

But the prices do vary widely depending on the nature of the seller and the location, season, and circumstances of the sale, as well as relatively minor aspects of the trailer's condition.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
NADA prices are only meaningful to Insurance Companies. If you total your Airstream your going to get NADA price for the settlement. The prices do not follow the prices that you will pay, and I don't think any of the dealers use them either. We had the same issues when we bought our 2002 and when we sold it... "but the book says it only worth $XXXX, and you want more" And you might also get some issues with your bank as they will look at book value too.

Damon
Old 03-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

We have found that NADA is about 10,000 dollars soft on Airstream prices. I just add 10 grand to what NADA says for what the market is asking.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post
NADA prices are only meaningful to Insurance Companies. If you total your Airstream your going to get NADA price for the settlement. The prices do not follow the prices that you will pay, and I don't think any of the dealers use them either. We had the same issues when we bought our 2002 and when we sold it... "but the book says it only worth $XXXX, and you want more" And you might also get some issues with your bank as they will look at book value too.

Damon

THIS^^^^
Dealers, banks, and insurance companies use them to beat down the amount they will trade, loan, or settle a claim for, and the prices sometimes bear little or no resemblance to reality.

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #7

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I bought mine for $500 over book and couldn't write the check fast enough.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:24 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
We paid the mid range of NADA for our 09 23FB last year and felt good about it. A colleague of mine paid the exact same for the same model that was 6 mo newer from a consignment outfit. The prices you are qouting are in line with the NADA prices which are usually low. Note however, you will usually find the most price flexibility with someone who holds the title or has enough cash in the bank to "make it go away" when they realize it is not their cup o tea.

If your looking at the 2009 at $41700 and you really like it, make an offer. All they can say is no. Just make sure your getting what you want. Otherwise you will lose all of the large chunk of change in TTL fees Mother Texas charges you to register your beauty.

Good luck
Old 03-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Worley , Idaho
We found that the NADA prices were about $8,000 - $10,000 low of market prices in the PNW or Intermountain West. It is interesting how states use this pricing. In Idaho we paid sales tax on the total amount we paid for our AS, but when it came to figuring out how much we had to pay for our RV Tags, they used the book price. Go figure.
2010 Toyota Tundra 4x4
TAC: ID-1
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the input

Thanks everyone for the input.

We finally pulled the trigger on a 09 23 Intl CCD, and I feel like we paid a good price for it.

We are going up to this weekend to pick it up!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
I just sold my 1999 Bambi 19' for about $10,000 over the NADA value, my buyer had been looking for about a year and was happy with the price and I was too.

It seems that the NADA uses a depreciation formula that might be okay for the multitude of RV manufacturers, but is obviously not based on actual sales for Airstreams
Old 03-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #12

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeghead
Thanks everyone for the input.

We finally pulled the trigger on a 09 23 Intl CCD, and I feel like we paid a good price for it.

We are going up to this weekend to pick it up!
Congrats! I love the space in a 23'!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:12 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Just remember the "D" in NADA stands for Dealer, and the dealers are the ones that subscribe and submit pricing for the book.. Lenders rely on it (since Kelley Blue Book is also a Dealer-driven publication...), but it is primarily of value to provide floor pricing for later model/newer used trailers... Because it is national in scope, and volumes are small (compared to hundreds of auction and retail sales for typical used car like Camry or Mustang...), prices aren't realistic.. Remember, most dealers strongly prefer to set high (optimistic) asking prices, to allow room for negotiating concessions, discounts, repairs and generous trade-ins... It is rarely good deal to pay that asking price, unless you are positive dealer is under-pricing unit... (And that could happen for dealer with limited experience with particular models or pricing in other pats of the country...)

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:36 AM   #14
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
The simple answer is NO. NADA bears no resemblance whatsoever to actual selling prices for RVs. And their pricing is an endless headache for any RVer who ever has an insurance claim. To that end, you may want to consider "agreed value insurance", which is available from Progressive and some other insurers. It costs more, but it certainly beats a knock-down, drag-out fight with the insurance company over what "totalled" means.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nada, values