Old 03-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #15

2011 30' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
confused

So basically everyone is saying the NADA guide is useless unless you're a dealer or insurance agent. Because when you're sitting in front of one of these guys, the trailer turns into a pumpkin right? But when you're a seller asking for a small fortune, the trailer is suddenly a cream puff? There has to be a reliable source to refer to when pricing a trailer worthy of one's attention. I am currently looking for a decent trailer and am finding that many sellers are simply very "proud" of their RVs. Either they are under water on their loans or RV's are appreciating in value - imagine that! It's true that something is only worth as much as the what the next buyer will pay for it. But there has to be solid ground from which to start. Perhaps the end of camping season rather than before?

Old 03-30-2011, 01:59 AM   #16
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Longdriver -

The best way to get valid information on Airstream prices is to do two things:

1) Go to AirClassifieds which has a large selection of Airstreams most of which are priced to the market (there's a few delusional folks there, but mostly they are realistic).

2) Set a Google Alert for "Airstream" and a second one for the specific Airstream you are looking for "27' Airstream". Both alerts will return one to several news articles and advertisements daily. After a couple of months you will know what is fair market value for the specific Airstream you want.

Don't know how to set a Google Alert? No problem... Go to Google and type in "Google Alert". The directions will be on your screen.

NADA is as you said useful to dealers and insurance agents who want to confiscate the asset value of your trade-in or claim. NADA is substantially below fair market value for Airstreams.

One further note, when insuring your Airstream, use your receipt and three or four ads for other similar Airstreams for evidence of actual value (if you are insuring to "fixed agreed value").

Best of luck to you on your quest. We've all been there.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
So far as I can tell, there really is no "solid ground" from which to work from on Airstream prices. NADA is wonderful unless you really want to buy a usable trailer in good condition. Small, specality market of a product whose value depends more on condition and perhaps desirability than value. My understanding is that on old Airstreams NADA does not track, check, or in any way reflect the atual selling price. It is just a depreciation table based on age.

What I do know that the price is not the most important part of buying an older Airstream.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
I've done a lot of teaching in negotiations and developed training materials.. Having an "anchor point" or baseline is good, and there may be enough data to get there in a 3 to 5 year old trailer, but even in that market there are a lot of variables like condition, location, season of the year (yeah, prices rise and fall around the calendar).

As SECGURU pointed out above, market value for Airstreams is variable, and often defined by beliefs of seller and buyer.. Buyers can try to create competitive market with other choices and sellers can try to create impression of scarcity and competition. Success or failure depends more on personal effort and research than on any external benchmarks or references.

Buyer or seller research should look at comparable or similar models and all of the variables, to build a loose pricing structure.. From there, you can go up or down depending on condition, cosmetics and location, and maybe even credibility of seller. As for Sellers who are too "proud" of their Airstreams, save the contact info and try again in 2 months.. If they're wrong, you might have the option to buy.. If you're wrong, you'll learn more about the market..

Either way, NADA remains a rigged booklet controlled by dealers and colleagues, to give THEM a starting point in some transactions.. Starting point and ending point need not be the same place...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #19
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Condoluminum: Eloquently stated. Very good advice.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
<snip>
Either way, NADA remains a rigged booklet controlled by dealers and colleagues, to give THEM a starting point in some transactions.. Starting point and ending point need not be the same place...
That is good to know - it would be interesting to know exactly how it is rigged. I presume, based on my experience looking for a new-ish pre-owned airsrtream, that there is very little data to be had by NADA on gently used airstreams. It seems most folks are not selling within five years of the initial purchase(rightly so). And as already stated - older trailers are far more subjective due to condition.

So the question is, what (if anything) are they basing their numbers on?

In any case, I did buy relative to the NADA book on a 2 year old international 23D - but I would not have sold for that price. My seller took a hit that I would have been very reluctant to take, based on what NADA published.

So I guess, thanks NADA. And in the same breath - screw you NADA.

-smeg
Old 04-13-2011, 02:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
NADA equals Dealer "Submissions"

What NADA is based on is submissions or messages from dealer members providing their estimate or judgment (not actual selling prices at auction or other sources) of values... They can submit low or high numbers, and publsihers will interpolate to fill book with pricing at some level for most every common model.. If there are a lot of transactions (as in Honda Civic) there might be pretty accurate market numbers... If there are almost none, prices shown are probably not meaningful for many buyers and sellers... For Kelley Blue Book (Calif editions) there are actually 4 prices for every car.. Buy and sell prices for retail consumers, and limited availability dealer confidential prices for buying and selling, used by dealers and some lenders...

Since dealers and insurance companies and lenders often use GOld Book dealing with consumers, prices are generally low compared to prices they'd ask for vehicles they would be selling...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nada, values