Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Central , Arkansas
Did we pay too much

Did we pay too much?

After looking for 3 years, we finally took the big step and bought our Airstream this weekend. It’s a 25’ 1991 Airstream Excella Classic that has had two previous owners and was stored inside a building for most of it’s life. The gentleman we bought it from was 96 years old and this was his baby.

The good: The interior is in excellent condition with the plastic covering still on the original carpet. The sofa shows a little wear but it’s not too bad.

The bad: It’s got a bad series of dents on the curbside back corner. Second picture. (I can’t even believe we bought it with the dents) The rest of the exterior is in great condition.

We paid $14,000.00 for it. Did we pay too much considering the dents? I may have had a touch of Airstream fever.

In a couple of years, we might try to have the dents fixed. Anyone know of a place that could do that in Arkansas?

In the fourth picture, there is a gap between the body and the base at the rub rail (maybe). I’m pretty sure we should caulk this. We will build some type of cover within the next couple of months but it will be exposed to the elements until then. Any suggestions on what type of caulk should be used?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image6.jpeg
Views:	297
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	232062   Click image for larger version

Name:	image8.jpeg
Views:	319
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	232063  

Name:	image5.jpeg
Views:	289
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	232064   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpeg
Views:	278
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	232066  

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	232067   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	269
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	232068  

Name:	image16.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	232069   Click image for larger version

Name:	image10.jpeg
Views:	274
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	232070  

sabegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Do not second guess or torture yourself. Enjoy your trailer.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
The high country. Black Mountain range. , North Carolina
It is worth what you were willing and able to pay. Go and enjoy!
JaynEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
There really is no way to say "too much" or too little. Assuming all the appliances work and it is waterproof, go camping! Even if it is in your back yard, spend some time in it and figure out what you like, what you don't and how everything works. Don't start any major projects until you have put some miles in...

There is no way to put a value on how much fun you are going to have.

When you get around to it, make an appointment at the factory in Jackson Center, Ohio, and roll it up there to get the segment(s) replaced. There is a dealer in Arkansas (Airstream of Arkansas) but I don't have any personal knowledge of their service department. They should be able to replace segments as well but you might want to find a review or two from someone who has been there.

As for the gap in the belt line. It was hard to tell how wide or deep it is from the picture. If you do a forum search for sealants, there is a really good list of what to use where that you should be able to find.

Look forward, no regrets, get out there and have some fun. In 30 years, leave it to your grand kids.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:40 PM   #5
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Beautiful trailer, rare size, which is in high demand.
A couple of years ago, I bought 93 34' with similar dents for a little more than you paid. I have since replaced those panels, but I would just enjoy this well kept trailer. You may want to have someone with some experience look at that separation and suggest a fix.
As a temporary seal, I would not use one of the heavy duty Vulkem sealers to keep the water out until its fixed or the trailer is under cover. I personally would use one of those easy removable Latex caulks that comes in silver, too. But others may have better suggestions.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
If it is truly "camping ready" you paid a fair price!

Be careful about putting a tarp on the trailer as this can scratch the surface.

One of the best places for sheet metal repairs is the factory in Jackson Center, Ohio which is certainly within a days drive of Arkansas.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
What is a couple of dents? Travel in it and enjoy the adventure.
If it is a nice on the inside as it looks on the outside (other than the dents) you probably did right.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:07 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Your new baby looks great! Go out and camp in her. Use her so much that she was worth every cent.May you have many great Airstream Adventures.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Great looking Airstream! Check the dates on the rubber.
Rjpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:38 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Personally, I think you paid a little too much. Probably worth more in the 10-12k with the body damage. You'd have to put the money in to fixing it before you could get your money back out of it. The nice thing about airstreams is that you will always be able to find someone to buy it. You should be able to find someone to pay 15 when you resale. (if the dents are fixed).
adamwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
The cost to "correctly" fix the damage just to the rear of your trailer would be around $4,000. My guess that is why the people sold the trailer is they did not want to pay too repair trailer. The other minor dents would be around $1,000 to fix to near perfect but not original. Others have posted to use trailer and enjoy it; However, in my opinion, you have major issues if you don't at least seal up the large gash that exposes your wood floor. Water can do a lot of long term damage in the rear end of this style of trailer so I would suggest in the vary least make sure it is water tight. Long term the rear area does go under stress going down the road and the weaken state due to the damage could do further internal damage. Your question is did you pay too much is valid if you thought the damage could be corrected for way less then I stated and you passed over other trailers that were in better shape for a lower price then yours with the repairs done. I have seen trailers in way worse condition sell for more if that helps.
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #12
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Seal up the cracks with some Vulkem, and go camp the stew out of that thing, and completely forget and never worry again about what you paid for her... Beautiful trailer, and as someone else said, if you want to fix the dents later, a trip to the mothership would be a cool vacation. I'd love to drag mine up there just to take her back home after 41 years...

-Red, pro-camping, anti-worrying...
Old 02-09-2015, 06:09 PM   #13
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
...but make sure you get her water tight... Water tight is much more important than dent free.

-Red, slight afterthought...
Old 02-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Central , Arkansas
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. We'll get that spot sealed up and enjoy the heck out of this baby.

It's really true how well and barely noticeable towing is when your pulling your Airstream.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Congratulations it's yours, dents and all!

Hey, now you have a project. As Panama Red said, the main concern is to avoid water around the wood- get it water tight.

The dents are a tough one as they devalue the trailer overall. I know as I had a mid rear panel replaced(above the beltline) and it is $1800 per panel. As others note, it is probably two panels for you as the top panel may form up to the new panel ok. Only certain Airstream dealers can do metalwork. I was going to go to the factory to have my panel replaced and called them for the appointment and was referred to a dealer in Florida with over 30 years metalwork experience instead. They were highly recommend by Jackson Center so I drove less and saved some dough.

At this point, it is irrelevant to be concerned on what you paid. Enjoy it and leave your mark on it as your pocketbook permits! Welcome to Airstreaming.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The trailer looks pretty clean and the fact it was kept inside is a plus. The bad is you need to repair that area on the back corner where the skin is pushed in and there is a big gap there (read rain funnel). Temporary fix is to caulk it but I would remove the inner skins back there and try to push it back out. You might be able to also remove much of the dent back there and make it look pretty good until you decide if you want to replace that panel with a new one or not. Is it a rear bedroom model? Those are much easier to gain access to the rear corners.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Central , Arkansas
Yes, it is rear twin beds and I guess a project is coming up sooner than expected. I like the idea of maybe smoothing out some of the dents from the inside. How hard is it to open up the inside panel after the bed is removed? As far as pushing the bottom, just push it back out and recaulk from the inside and outside?
Old 02-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'd say spend as much as you can afford to get the repairs done correctly. Even if you spend $5k you still have a great AS for under $20k.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If I were you I would just smooth the dents out.

It will be some work to strip out the interior for access to do the job, but with careful work that corner can be made to look better, with the damage near invisible from 20'.

I am right up the road from you in Little Rock, my "out of town schedule aside, I will be happy to help you out some if you need.

That is a nice looking trailer!

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Overall that is a nice trailer since it was kept inside.
I would first worry about keeping moisture out. I don't know if pushing the dents out will work very well but is probably worth a shot. If the interior bedroom skins were removed - well at that point I would just replace the panels. Removing the interior can be time consuming.
Second I think the trailer is worth repairing, expensive as it may be. That is a very popular sized trailer that can be pulled by a variety of tow vehicles.
Third - how handy are you? I have replaced panels myself. It was one of the tougher jobs that I did since I had never worked with metal before. Overall I made one mistake removing a panel due to a blind rivet and my temper got the best of me that day.......
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote