Old 02-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the interest and continued encouragement. I have not purchased the '68 AS, but so far, no one else has either. I spoke with the owner, he has a repair shop and sells a small selection of vintage AS and kin. While the Craigslist post is down, as of my last conversation with him (Thursday) it was still available. I know it looks like a good choice, but I have to hold off until April to go forward with a purchase.

He has a Streamline that needs a little more work than the AS, but is on the nose with the upfront amount I wanted to spend. Would love to hear opinions on this as an alternate choice.

As much as I would hate to let a good coach get away, I have heard more stories about people jumping the gun by purchasing the first trailer they saw, and regretting it later. He did mention layaway as an option, however, so if either or both of these are still available next weekend, I am going to try to arrange to meet up with a local inspector. I am going to trust to the fates on this.

I feel like this dealer is a good guy, the first thing he said to me was have it inspected before you buy it, so there's no surprises. He also has a good sense of humor: important in my book. Maybe I'm getting superstitious, but buying a coach from a good person has turned out to be pretty important to me.

I love pics, too, so I promise if and when something exciting happens, you'll be the first to hear about it! In the meantime, if any good leads come your way, keep me in mind. I don't want to buy anything sight unseen, so I'm keeping my range to Oregon and Washington. Wish me luck!

CarrieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia

Sounds like the seller is a good guy to deal with. Hopefully, you can get the Airstream inspected next weekend, and then lay it away if the inspection is positive.

The reason it is usually not a good idea to buy the first one is that:

-the more you look at the more you figure out what you want.

- the more you figure out what the value is.

- the more you learn in general.

- after you look at a bunch, you can now go after the one that looks like a good value and is the right trailer for you.

However this could be the right trailer for you. You may look at say 10 trailers and this may indeed be the one that is the best value for you and is just what you are looking for.

By soliciting opinions on the forum, as you are doing, and by having an Airstream knowlegable person inspect it for you, you are making a buying decision with a lot more knowlege than most Airstream newbies have. Buy the best trailer that you can afford and you won't be sorry. Good luck! I have my fingers crossed for you.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote