Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
killeen , Texas
Cost of new AS

My wife and I have fallen for the International 27FB. I see so many different prices online that Im not sure where to start. What % of discount is typical at the dealer? I dont mind paying for quality but at the same time want to make sure I get a good deal.
cdlusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Unfortunately, I don't think there is an easy answer to question. The dealerships are relatively few (compared to other vehicles), so there isn't much competition to keep prices down. Our experience was to shop around alot until we had a good feeling for what was a reasonable price, then weigh it against how far we were willing to drive.

We ended up driving to Tucson, as the Phoenix (Mesa) dealer wouldn't deal at all, and the California dealers kept doing the bait-and-switch game. The Tucson dealer matched the California prices, and didn't play any games during the final negotiations.

Too bad Costco or the credit unions haven't set up a buying program for Airstreams...

You will probably be able to find a better price after you buy (isn't that always the case), but this is soon forgotten as you hit the road in your new vacation home.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #3

Currently Looking...
Marion , Montana
Last week we purchased a 2010 27ft Classic limited with front twin beds. Liked the extra bed length due to my height and the ability to stand and do things in the bedroom such as getting dressed or undressed as the case may be.

We purchased from Colonial in NJ and paid 80% of invoice. They are also storing our unit free of charge until we can return to NJ and pick it up. Very nice people to deal with. Aslo being out of state purchasers we did not pay sales tax.
Rays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
The way I understand it, if buy out of state you do not pay NJ sales tax now, to NJ thru Colonial, but when you get your plates in your home state they will most likely collect their taxes for it at that time.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
The way I understand it, if buy out of state you do not pay NJ sales tax now, to NJ thru Colonial, but when you get your plates in your home state they will most likely collect their taxes for it at that time.
Correct, that is Use Tax. The way the sales tax people in Arkansas explained it to me (One aspect of my job is analysis of proposed sales tax revenue), is that technically a consumer owes use tax on anything they purchase from out of state and did not pay local sales tax. It is up to the purchaser to go to the state offices, report, and pay the taxes. That includes purchases made over the phone, via mail, or over the Internet.

Realistically, about the only time Use Tax is collected is on the purchase of a vehicle. You get your tags and title from the state. You are right there, so they have you.

The other side of this is that, despite what some lawmakers think, there is no need for additional legislation to tax Internet purchases. They just need to figure out how to collect what is already in place.

Let's all just keep our fingers crossed on this.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
here's a thread u might find interesting...

Buying from reputable dealer - Airstream Forums
Old 04-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Buy it and start living! If you keep looking for "that perfect price" you will miss out on so many weeks, weekends, whatever of travel. Buy it and ENJOY it - it is so easy to do. Buy from a dealer that you trust and will take care of you and the trailer. We thought we were doing that - before we could pick up our new trailer, the dealership
dropped (or was dropped by AS) and is no longer in the trailer business - servicing or selling! So no matter how well you look and decide, something can create a problem. Fortunately, we've had ours now for two complete summers and we've spent sixty some nights on it. We've travelled with it through eight states and have had a great time. We returned it to Jackson Center early this spring for some minor warranty work before the warranty expired and now we're getting ready for another summer (and fall) of travel. We plan to hit another three or four states this summer and hopefully to the great southwest in the fall.

Look for the best price you can find from a dealer you can depend on. That is so important! You need a trailer person that is knowledgeable about the AS - in addition to the great minds on the FORUMS. Happy hunting and sweet streaming!
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

There is a 2009 27FB in like new condition right now on the Forums Classifieds, and the price seems right. Check it out. I believe that it is located in Mobile, Alabama.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
We also purchased from Colonial Airstream in Lakewood, NJ. They were wonderful to deal with and the price was substantially less than others we contacted/visited. In fact the great deal they offered was what pushed us to make the purchase decision.

I posted a link on another thread elsewhere on airforums about the sales tax deduction. If you have any questions on that i'd be happy to try to help.

Good luck and enjoy.

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
pattimarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Not always the case.

Hi, we bought a brand new trailer and paid no sales tax; California has a rule/law that if you buy out of state and keep it out of state more than 91 days California will not charge sales tax. We bought in Oregon and they don't have sales tax. But when I went to DMV to license it, they still tried to charge me because I didn't check this little box on the form. I then checked the little box and went home tax free. [California will still try to get you, if you let them]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Very interesting, didn't know that about CA. I was interested in this user tax and fees for registering etc,. Went to Google and found out that Montana has no sales tax anyway. They only have a renters tax on vehicles, and extra taxes attached to hotel room fees and also extra taxes on camping. Looks like they like to get their tax money from tourists. Might be a good place to live if you can stand the winter weather.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I purchased a used trailer from a bank ready to foreclose on the PO. I purchased in Idaho and paid no tax at the time. When I brought it home to Washington and transferred the title I was hit for the sales tax. This also works for cars. I am not aware of any loop holes to avoid paying sales taxes in my state.

Good luck.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
If you title it in Montana there is no state sales tax, and Montana has a lifetime license for trailers like an Airstream that costs under $100.00.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
flyfisher,
Ya, read my post # 11. I researched it and found out the same thing, but that is way too late for me to do that. It's good info for others though.
The way to do it is get a good deal in a state close to home and have it titled in Montana. Colonial is way to far for a deal. There are other places make better deals than them.
I know someone will say look at service too but, it's closer to go to Jackson Center for repairs than drive to the East Coast just to go to a dealer there especially if you live on the West coast or even in Texas or Montana.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Michigan
I just purchased a new 2010 27FB International. Did the order to build...included the inverter and brake controller. Total price without tax was $58,100.00
Aquabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
If you title it in Montana there is no state sales tax, and Montana has a lifetime license for trailers like an Airstream that costs under $100.00.
Hi, this is great if it will work for some people, but if you live or work in California you have ten days to change it to California plates. [plus taxes]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Eugene , Oregon
buying an airstream

I, too, have fallen for the International 27FB. I have wanted an Airstream for years. Here is my dilemna...I have a deposit at the dealer on a 27FB Serenity...I would like opinions on the resale value of the Serenity's light wood interior vs the darker wood in the other International models. I have found a couple of used 2009 International models and would save at least $10,000 by purchasing a 'like-new' used model. Can anyone advise me on the benefits of buying from the dealer vs saving the money on the used model? Also, the light vs dark wood question is important...thanks!
umpqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
To get you started on gathering some of the info you are asking about, just go to the very top of this page and on the left hand side click on Forums. After you get there just page down to the Heading Dollars and Cents and pick your topic, for example, Buyers Guidelines and you will be able to read for a long time on the things you are asking about as far as whether to buy from the lot or order.
I ordered but, many prefer to buy off the lot. I'm sure you will get or read a lot of opinions on that subject.
As far as which style of interior, You could start out at the Forums page again and page down to the International section and discuss that with people that have already made the decision you might get more answers or you can just read about what has already been discussed. At least that is the way I would find out about a topic. Or, just try the search button near the top of the page and type in any subject.
Happy searching!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpqua View Post
I, too, have fallen for the International 27FB. I have wanted an Airstream for years. Here is my dilemna...I have a deposit at the dealer on a 27FB Serenity...I would like opinions on the resale value of the Serenity's light wood interior vs the darker wood in the other International models. I have found a couple of used 2009 International models and would save at least $10,000 by purchasing a 'like-new' used model. Can anyone advise me on the benefits of buying from the dealer vs saving the money on the used model? Also, the light vs dark wood question is important...thanks!
Serenity is a new interior. I doubt anyone will have info on resale value between the two interiors.
Aquabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #20
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabud View Post
I just purchased a new 2010 27FB International. Did the order to build...included the inverter and brake controller. Total price without tax was $58,100.00
You did better than me. I paid that for a 2010 25' FB International CCD.No inverter.

Guess I got bent over.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote