Old 09-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Williston , Florida
Considering an Airstream

We have never owned a travel trailer, been thinking about airstream. We found a 2008 23ft international they want $37000, any thoughts would be helpful. We really like airstream but want to be careful.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your question, try shopping the classifieds here on the Forums. That may start to give you some insight into how that price stacks up.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
It depends on what your needs and travel plans are and how big a family you have as well as your skills and expertise. Big trailers are nice if you have lots of kids or plan to stay in it a lot. Small trailers are nice if you like to stay short time in a lot of smaller state parks. If you do not have much expertise or experience a newer trailer is suggested but you should get someone with experience to go look at the trailer with you. Old trailers need a lot of work and unless you enjoy that kind of thing you will get more camping time and fun from a trailer that is in ready to roll condition. Until last week there were mash Craigslist sites that allowed you to look at the whole county at once to get the range of used trailer prices. Craigslist threatened them with a law suite and they all shutdown. Now you have to look at all the Craigslist sites manually or download your own searcher program.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Williston , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your question, try shopping the classifieds here on the Forums. That may start to give you some insight into how that price stacks up.

Brian
Thank you, I have been shopping the forums but most are from out of state, this one is 40 miles so I could look at it. appeared to be in great condition and had other things like special hookup that i did not even know about stabilizer bar and other things. A lot of money not to see what you are getting out of town.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Williston , Florida
Just me a wife we are 60 or at least I am (smile) kids gone (grown ups kids) new kids are puppys. The price range is very hard to figure so many models and options
Old 09-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Williston , Florida
My wife is Sue Ellen,,, small world, thanks for your input we know nothing about all of this rv world
Old 09-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Welcome to the aluminitus world

Keep posting and you will benefit from the experience of others.....it is difficult to know what you want if you have never owned one before but keep on searching...you will find what suits you best. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Hi Deston and welcome aboard.

Go look at the trailer. See if the floorplan works for you and the Mrs. Make sure you lay on the bed and sit on the throne to make sure you comfortably fit.

Airstreams may appear alike on the outside but there are a ton of different floor plans on the inside. Get one that fits and works.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:32 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Welcome to the world of Airstream. What size is right is really a matter of personal preference. I would suggest, however, you sit in a lot of trailers and try to envision yourself in them. You might ask yourself, how is this going to work when I wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. Do I have to crawl over the other person to get out, is one example to consider. We loved our 18 footer but the 28 footer we have now is night and day by comparison and there is just two of us.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Williston , Florida
Thank you for your input, my thought is ease of use and storage, I understand that bigger is more comfortable, we are considering a trip to see America so will be pulling a lot of miles. Living in a 3000 sq ft house with two people we are used to room. What my concern is all that load on long trip. Also i understand that some state parks have a length limit.
So many thoughts,,,,,,,, sheesh,,,,,,,grin, nice trouble to have.
Charles
Old 09-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Deston, also, you just have to do your own research. Just because most of us here own Airstreams doesn't mean we can make your decisions for you.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Deston

Welcome to the airforums, the wonderful world of Airstream life. Ya, you have a major problem that most folks would love to have- which Airstream to buy to tour the great USA. My advice is to look at lots of them- you did not marry the first person you dated did you. I would go to a dealer and then go to a rally. Airstream people love to show you their trailer because they are proud of it. You do not want to buy the wrong trailer. Take your time, look at lots of trailers and then make your own decision. Good luck! You are about to go on a great adventure, so enjoy it.

Dan
Old 09-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
We recently went through the same complex decision process you are in -- what helped us the most was these Forums and spending time at a dealer's lot sitting in the different models and getting a "feel" for them.

The bed is a critical issue for everyone. The corner bed saves a lot of space, but is it big enough for you? You will have to try it out to know.

After that, it helped us to think about the tradeoff in smaller trailers involving lounge space and comfort versus a more permanent table (i.e. dinette). It all depends on how you see yourselves using the trailer while on the road.

It is true that smaller trailers are allowed in more state and national park campgrounds, so that is another worthy consideration and another judgement for you to make based on your anticipated use.

Good luck, and have fun working on it!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Williston , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfield
We recently went through the same complex decision process you are in -- what helped us the most was these Forums and spending time at a dealer's lot sitting in the different models and getting a "feel" for them.

The bed is a critical issue for everyone. The corner bed saves a lot of space, but is it big enough for you? You will have to try it out to know.

After that, it helped us to think about the tradeoff in smaller trailers involving lounge space and comfort versus a more permanent table (i.e. dinette). It all depends on how you see yourselves using the trailer while on the road.

It is true that smaller trailers are allowed in more state and national park campgrounds, so that is another worthy consideration and another judgement for you to make based on your anticipated use.

Good luck, and have fun working on it!
Thanks for the input. We bought and we are happy with the corner bed. Two puppys Mom and I snuggle just fine!