Old 04-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You have to buy from a dealer. You can buy some parts at the administration and service center building and fewer online. You can call them and ask about other things and maybe they will ship them, but I haven't tried that. Generally you have to buy parts through a dealer or look online. Some dealers may sell online.

It true there are big differences between dealers and you can look at trailers at bad ones, make a decision and then call good ones and negotiate a deal. You can special order modifications on some things, but the factory can be difficult on others. At one time I think you could buy a shell, but I don't think they do that anymore. Many decades ago before there were dealers, you had to buy at the factory, but those days are long gone.

If you want to pick it up at the factory, shipping to the dealer should be subtracted from the price and after you have negotiated a price then ask about pick up at the factory for a further discount. Airstream pays the dealers to check out everything and that would be done at either the service center (good) or the factory (not so good). Clarify that too. I don't know what shipping costs, but it's probably more than for a car because it's done piecemeal. After picking up at the factory, stay at the Terraport for a few days to check out everything so it can be fixed before you leave. Then tow it not too far to see what other problems there may be.

Gene

Old 04-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getaways View Post
Thanks for making that assumption. Did it ever occur to you that in this horrible economy I was treated like an idiot by a salesman at one dealer. And don't want to do business with that dealer after that. And yes I know one employee does not a company make.... but nonetheless at this time I refuse to deal with them. And if I have to go out elsewhere I'd just as soon go to the factory.... But no, it has to be me trying to game the system....

Sorry if I sound acerbic, but you jumped to a conclusion with not even asking why?
I hate to break it to you, but these guys are in the same economy as you. Things are just as tough on their side. The bad saleman sounds like a cop out to me.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #17
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Since when does he owe salesmen a living?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Ther are other dealers and perhaps other salesmen at that dealership. zz
Old 04-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getaways View Post
Thanks for making that assumption. Did it ever occur to you that in this horrible economy I was treated like an idiot by a salesman at one dealer. And don't want to do business with that dealer after that. And yes I know one employee does not a company make.... but nonetheless at this time I refuse to deal with them. And if I have to go out elsewhere I'd just as soon go to the factory.... But no, it has to be me trying to game the system....

Sorry if I sound acerbic, but you jumped to a conclusion with not even asking why?
So... you weren't thrilled by Safford? Join the crowd. Try Out of Doors Mart in NC. Very nice folks.

Paula
Old 04-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Paris , Ohio
airstream parts

I tried to get parts through my local dealer and got nowhere, I called the factory and they said I could buy direct, but no shipping. I went down and got what needed with no hassle. I just paid what they asked, I did not ask for any discount. Very nice people to deal with, it was a several drive from n.e. ohio, but worth it. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ View Post
I hate to break it to you, but these guys are in the same economy as you. Things are just as tough on their side. The bad saleman sounds like a cop out to me.

I game the system by dumpster diving. Panera Bread Company is awesome.
Every man for himself, that is what I say.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
Since when does he owe salesmen a living?
Where did I say he owed anyone a living?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ
It never ceases to amaze me how some people feel the need to "game the system" and deprive other people out of making an honest living.
Who set up this "system", and why should I feel like I should not "game" it by shopping around until I find a deal that I am happy with?

The last time I checked, Airstream and its dealers set up the rules of this "system", not me. If they want everybody to pay MSRP from their local dealer, they might want to take another look at the rules of their "game".

And they also might want to add a few dealers here and there, so people like me will be able to figure out who our we are depriving of an "honest living".
Old 04-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #24
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Quote:
Where did I say he owed anyone a living?
Pretty much. You belittled his asking if he could buy from the factory instead of a dealer. Then you specifically say that there are other salesmen. Who exactly is he trying to, as you put it:
Quote:
deprive other people out of making an honest living.
if not salesmen?

Saying that he should have no other venue to purchase is in effect saying that he owes these people a living.

and the
My Blog

Old 04-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
Come on Rodney - you do know that someone owns the dealership? He has probably put up a good sum of money for property, inventory, insurance, workmens comp. eletricity etc. I think anyone who has ever had to meet a payroll will know where I'm coming from.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #26
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Salesman or dealer,the logic your logic is the same: the OP is a bad man for looking out for his interest when he apparently has a duty to the sales people. Don't come back saying that you didn't say he was bad:unless of course you meant that depriving people of a honest living is a good thing. I'm not buying.

As for the dealer, perhaps he should keep a better eye on his sales staff. Despite the bad economy, there are no shortage of businesses that treat customers poorly and expect them to take it without comment. The OPs refusal to do business at a dealership where he was treated poorly isn't a cop out- its capitalism (as is his desire to get the best deal he can by the way).

I don't care much about who sells new campers one way or the other to be honest, but I do care that some posted here asking a legitimate question and got flamed.

and the
My Blog

Old 04-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #27

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Come on Rodney - you do know that someone owns the dealership? He has probably put up a good sum of money for property, inventory, insurance, workmens comp. eletricity etc. I think anyone who has ever had to meet a payroll will know where I'm coming from.
It is any reputable merchant's duty to provide products and/or services that customers want, in an environment in which their customers are willing to do business. It is any intelligent customer's duty to make sure they are getting the product and/or service they are paying for, and to maximize what they get for their money.

There are definitely people on both sides of the equation who go too far in seeking to serve their own self interests. There are customers with unreasonable expectations, and there are merchants who are or allow their staff to be surly or dishonest or unhelpful. Both deserve to meet with frequent disappointment until they learn better.

Unfortunately, there are many customers who wander around like sheep and don't look to their own best interests, and they keep the bad dealerships from having trouble as quickly as they should.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
The only reason I would prefer to buy a new trailer direct is to insure that no faceless delivery driver tows it at speeds above what the tires are rated for. I wonder if that is the cause of some of the early Marathon failures.

One solution would be to buy a new unit as close to JC as possible to limit the exposure.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote