Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
How about a 2008 27' Signature International in wenge for $50,000 in Colorado?

2008 Airstream International Signature Series CCD For Sale | Vintage Airstream Classifieds-

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #22
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
yes, thanks. I was joking about it but I did email them already. Do these dealers typically work on Sundays? I would think it would be one of the top days.

Does anyone know what an 80th Anniversary edition means? I haven't been able to google up a clear definition yet.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #23
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
How about a 2008 27' Signature International in wenge for $50,000 in Colorado?

2008 Airstream International Signature Series CCD For Sale | Vintage Airstream Classifieds-

Nice shape! Perfect color, too. We really were concentrating on a new trailer, but this one looks unused. I guess maybe some of them get rode hard, and some other ones of them don't. (Sounds like a country song, don't it?)

BUT even though that '08 looks near perfect, it's a 28 and that's a slightly different setup than the 27FB even though they are both 28 ft. We want the pano windows.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #24
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
In Colorado they don't sell cars, RV's or motorcycles on Sundays.
But shopping used would be a smart move for the short amount of time you will be traveling on the mainland.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Nice shape! Perfect color, too. We really were concentrating on a new trailer, but this one looks unused. I guess maybe some of them get rode hard, and some other ones of them don't. (Sounds like a country song, don't it?)

BUT even though that '08 looks near perfect, it's a 28 and that's a slightly different setup than the 27FB even though they are both 28 ft. We want the pano windows.
The 27' FB is pictured in the interior views and the floor diagram for that listed unit.

photography
Old 04-24-2011, 04:32 AM   #26
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
The 27' FB is pictured in the interior views and the floor diagram for that listed unit.

So they didn't put the panoramic windows in the 27B in '08, I guess? All the photos of 27FBs we've been looking at had curved panoramic windows on the corners around the bed. And nightstands instead of small wardrobes.
In any case, we want the one with the pano windows in both ends. Whichever model that is.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:07 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Window type could have been a choice of the dealer who ordered the unit. We have a 25ft fb without the panoramic windows because the unit was ordered without them. All others we have seen seem to have the panos. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
We had a 2007 27' FB Classic without the front pano and preferred the bedroom with less exposure. I missed that you wanted two panoramic windows on the unit. Hope you find your dream Airstream. They are all winners! My DH likes the wenge wood and has a 2007 23' Signature. We all have our individual preferences. I have opted back to the traditional floorplan in 2004 28' Classic for more walk room.

photography
Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #29
one of those

2011 27 FB International
I can certainly understand that. I slept so well on boats when I had my own cozy, dark little cabin tucked away somewhere. But in this case, we have the exact spot picked out where this trailer is going to be parked most of the time when we are in it, and it's on a small rocky ridge, surrounded by bizarre rock and boulder shapes and Ponderosa pine. We have really cool views out three intersecting little draws. It's up in Northern Colorado in the middle of a 35 acre parcel we bought last year.

We'll do some travelling and of course will have to stay in the odd RV park from time to time, but by far the most time spent in it will be where we won't be seeing another human being unless we invited them and gave them a map. the deer are not tall enough to peer in. the elk...might be.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #30
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I don't know what Vintage Airstream is, but vehicle dealers can't be open on Sundays in Colorado, but it may just be a classified service. Do you call the trailer owner or Vintage Airstream? I believe liquor stores now can be open on Sundays, so we can stay drunk until Monday and then buy a car.

Panos are nice in the rear of a FB unit, but we have put reflectix in all our bedroom windows, however, Gringo, I see your point given your location. With a FB, usually the bed faces the truck, and we know what that looks like.

A lot of Airstreams come with panos because Airstream, like most auto companies, likes to load them up with accessories.

As for the original question, I would think $68K will do it depending on accessories—besides the panos, you will probably find one with the premium audio/visual option and I would think solar would be good if you don't have power at your Colorado site. Don't forget sales tax and license plates—they are expensive in Colorado. With gas prices what they are, I think the market will be lower than when we bought in 2007 and we could have gotten a 27' for about $60K then I think.

Where in Colorado is your 35 acres?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #31

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Re: Vintage Airstream Classifieds:

Let me first state that a) I have NO direct experience with this company and b) no interest in it or any competing used-airstream dealership or website.

I had noted some time ago that lots of the listings on vintage-airstream.com are well past the expiry date listed in the ad. I didn't really overthink that, just figured that there may be a lot of listings that hang around after the sale, etc.

I've since read several postings on these forum about people who have found the company to be unresponsive. One person (forum id Gallois) from France seems the very definition of a serious buyer, with cash in hand trying to make an offer on a listed trailer, and after weeks of no response to emails and faxes got a reply that roughly translates to "I've received all your messages and am too busy to bother to reply even though you're offering me money."

The original posting about this on the forum is inaccessible for some reason but he also has a blog posting here:

SCAM on vintage - airstream dot com Airstream Website - Airstream Forums

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Let me know if you have trouble getting a response from demondrone (Um, I mean demontrond). I see their line up of silver bullets everyday on my way to and from work. They are closed on sunday and frequently have errors on their website adds.

AS is a very small segment of their line-up and they sell some very high end RVs. We did not stop in more than once since they seemed to want to sell us a lower priced SOB rather than come down on the price of the AS we wanted.

Cheers.
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #33
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Thanks for the heads up. I'm actually not too worried about Vintage Airstream. The one they have listed is not what we want, so I didn't intend to even contact them.

We plan to register the trailer in Texas. That's where it's going to spend most of its year. Inside a climate controlled warehouse. We will fly to Dallas, pick up the trailer, and drive it up to Colorado sometimes early in the serious part of Hurricane Season. We plan to camp on our land there and spend most of august enjoying the summer scene in the Ft. Collins area. Its about as different from this little country we live in as I can imagine. Then in September we might do a little travelling, after all the school age kids are back in class and out of the parks. Then in late September, drive the trailer back to Dallas and put her away for the winter. While we come back to the clear blue water and white sand beaches.

Gene, our property in Colorado is about 30 miles north of Ft. Collins. Maybe halfway to Laramie Wyoming. All the neighboring lots are 35 acre minimum, so it's pretty sparse as far as people. Lots of antelope, deer, elk. We have four or five good trailer spots picked out on it. here is probably the one we will try first. It's one of the flatter areas.

Over the edge of that bare rock ledge , the terrain drops about 30 ft. down into a little ravine. There are three of them coming together in this area. The "fingers" between them are these little ridges like this one. Easy access, and the land drops away on each side. Views to the west are the snow capped Rockies, about 40 miles. Our place is at 7300 ft. Big change from this place, sitting here as I am writing this, sunburned, looking out over the Caicos Bank to the south.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #34
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Well, that will be a big change. Sounds like you are in the foothills of the Rockies, a place with 10 month winters some years, but very nice. We used to live at 8,000' west of Denver. The summer were fairly cool and winters were intense, but dry powder mostly and beautiful land and trees—unfortunately thousands of other found out about it too and it became another crowded suburb.

The photo did not post, but those ledges may be susceptible to collapse in gully washers or spring high water. If you want to be close to them, don't get too close. Ask old timers what "Big Thompson" means to them and you here about one of those 10,000 year floods that seem to come more and more often.

There is also a lot of hail along the Front Range—more down in the Ft. Collins to Denver metroplex but it can be bad up higher too. The only place worse for hail is Florida. You may have problems with vehicle insurance for that reason. There could be substantial deductibles for hail. Hail can total an Airstream in minutes. A pole barn can allow views and protect the top and if wide enough, the sides—you'll never have to open the awning and less heat on the AC will be appreciated on hot days.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:14 AM   #35
one of those

2011 27 FB International
We'll only be on that property a couple times a year for a couple weeks each time, Aug-Sept. Maybe I should string camo netting from the trees over the trailer to slow the hail down. Not sure why the photo didn't post for you. I see it in my post from yesterday. Those ledges don't crumble. The 'dirt' there is solid flakes of granite, and the bedrock is only a foot or so down in most places. It's a jumble of boulders.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
ha ha. I can just imagine what one of those would be like on an island a mile and a half wide and seventeen miles long. I reckon we could hit all zero camping spots in one weekend. then what? Office or restaurant, I suppose. Bait shop?

We want to keep it in storage in the Dallas area. we would only be using it a few times a year. I looked up in the eastern US, but the trucking quote to haul it from NY to Dallas was $ 3100. I am assuming that would be about the same from NJ. Adding that to the out the door price makes it just about as much sense to just pay three thousand more in Texas and not have to worry about some amphetamine crazed truck driver smoking the tires off it at 80 mph. I just replaced six wheel bearings in a boat trailer. I don't want to look at any more of those this year.
I would check out the units at Colonial in NJ We bought a used unit there that was as good as new and worked out delivery as part of the purchase price. The one we bought still had a fair amount of warranty remaining on it.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #37
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Yes, thanks. I had an email exchange with Mr. Patrick Bottacelli on Saturday. Of course everything went quiet yesterday, Easter and Sunday. I am hoping we pick up our correspondence later today. They did have a trailer that sounded interesting to us.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:53 AM   #38
one of those

2011 27 FB International
this stage is over. We are now new Airstream owners. Thanks for all the help. We've just put down a deposit on our new 2011 International CCD 27FB, already in Texas. And we hope to be flying up to the US of A in a couple weeks to take it out and play with it.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Congrats on the new purchase. Hope you enjoy it! Sounds like you got what you wanted without dealing with shipping which is great.

Have fun.

Sandy
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:07 AM   #40
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
Congrats on the new purchase. Hope you enjoy it! Sounds like you got what you wanted without dealing with shipping which is great.

Have fun.

Sandy
Thanks! We expect to be pulling this trailer right on up through Ft. Collins in about two months. We hear there's a new confectionary store up there we just have to try out.