1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
no internal damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Books for the older models are useless.

All you need is an "appraisel" from someone that is very experienced with Airstreams.

They all have an intrinsic value, that can be increased based on a "visual inspection".

Other than that, it's guess work at it's wildest.

Andy
Hi Andy.
We found no internal damage on the AS.
So it seems like just the 2 panels will need to be replaced.
I'm having a hard time with our local dealer to get an estimate without towing it there and we currently don't have a towing vehicle.
Any estimates of how many hours of labor on replacing them?

2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieBullet View Post
Hi Andy.
We found no internal damage on the AS.
So it seems like just the 2 panels will need to be replaced.
I'm having a hard time with our local dealer to get an estimate without towing it there and we currently don't have a towing vehicle.
Any estimates of how many hours of labor on replacing them?
Any estimate that we can provide, is not going to do much good in Florida, or wherever you will have the trailer repaired.

Dealers can charge whatever they feel like, so to speak, for materials and labor. Prices are very different from different dealers.

You should find a Airstream dealer that has replaced many exterior pieces of sheet metal on an Airstream, and go from there.

After you receive an estimate, I would be happy to tell you if it's fair or not.

Again, providing an estimate without personal inspection, opens a door for challenge.

Andy

Old 02-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
thanks Andy.
this is really funny because the dealer said " Airstream doesn't stock vintage trailer parts anymore, there is a dealer in California that we work with to get the parts..." and then is $120 per hour on labor.
But again they won't provide an estimate with pics only. They want us to tow the trailer there.
I understand the fact that providing a written estimate without seen the trailer it can not be accurate in a 100%.
But just wondering are we talking about 10,20 or between 30 to 40 hrs?
Have no idea about this repair in particular but I know that everything is time consuming while working on an AS so I won't be surprised if you tell me that half trailer has to come out to repair this.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
thanks Andy.
this is really funny because the dealer said " Airstream doesn't stock vintage trailer parts anymore, there is a dealer in California that we work with to get the parts..." and then is $120 per hour on labor.
But again they won't provide an estimate with pics only. They want us to tow the trailer there.
I understand the fact that providing a written estimate without seen the trailer it can not be accurate in a 100%.
But just wondering are we talking about 10,20 or between 30 to 40 hrs?
Have no idea about this repair in particular but I know that everything is time consuming while working on an AS so I won't be surprised if you tell me that half trailer has to come out to repair this.
First of all, Airstream still has all the sheet metal for your trailer, and still does back to the 1969 models.

I will provide prices to you, based on our published prices and with no guarantee because the damage was not personally inspected.

The lf quarter panel # 13, $ 350.00
The lf segment panel # 11 350.00
220 olympic rivets @.60 132.00
1 tube Vulkem sealer 9.95
Sales tax ???????
Labor total 11.5 hours @ ???????

The labor hours are listed in the Caravanner Insurance flat rate manual , that I wrote and was published and used starting in January 1970.

Keep in mind, that a dealer is free to charge his own parts prices as well as the number of labor hours, and at his labor rate, plus freight, unless he makes a huge purchase or brings the parts in a trailer from Airstream.

All of this work can be done from the outside, even if the entrance door is locked. There is no need to have access to the inside of the trailer.

Andy
Old 02-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
First of all, Airstream still has all the sheet metal for your trailer, and still does back to the 1969 models.

I will provide prices to you, based on our published prices and with no guarantee because the damage was not personally inspected.

The lf quarter panel # 13, $ 350.00
The lf segment panel # 11 350.00
220 olympic rivets @.60 132.00
1 tube Vulkem sealer 9.95
Sales tax ???????
Labor total 11.5 hours @ ???????

The labor hours are listed in the Caravanner Insurance flat rate manual , that I wrote and was published and used starting in January 1970.

Keep in mind, that a dealer is free to charge his own parts prices as well as the number of labor hours, and at his labor rate, plus freight, unless he makes a huge purchase or brings the parts in a trailer from Airstream.

All of this work can be done from the outside, even if the entrance door is locked. There is no need to have access to the inside of the trailer.

Andy
Thanks again Andy.
Just wondering about the panels #.
what # the one on the bottom be? is that the #11 or #13?
Thanks
Old 02-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks again Andy.
Just wondering about the panels #.
what # the one on the bottom be? is that the #11 or #13?
Thanks
The quarter panel is on the bottom.

The segment is next to the window.

Andy