Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Just My Observation

I have worked for a dealership that sells new TT (not AS brand). I have found while doing an orientation walk-thru that many new owners are looking at the pretty, new, appliances, carpeting, and draperies, etc. and ignoring sometimes obvious fit and finish issues. A thorough knowledge of what you are buying does help in bargaining for a unit, be it new or used. This forum is a great tool in making us better informed consumers. I agree with others posting here, clean is best. Also, having the systems in working order that can be verified and demonstrated.

Kevin with Baity the Lab/Pointer
//------AIR # 7303------\\
WBCCI 17109
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #16
Snellville , Georgia
Originally Posted by azflycaster
#1 - Be sure that the person offering the trailer is the sane person selling it. Fraudulant 2nd chnce offers are not uncommon.

Here are my concerns;
Why did the"buyer" jump the bid from $2000 to a buy it now price of $6000 and then walk away from the deal. If you look at the "buyers" history, he has bought 3 Airstream Trailer in the last 2 months. He is most likely flipping them for a quick profit. The "buyer" bought one only 8 hours before he did a BIN on this one. Did the seller tell you why he walked on the deal?

The trailer has a nice look and the interior is very nice.
The clear coat on the exterior is bad, but that is to be expected on a 35 year old trailer.
The axels are shot and will need to be replaced ASAP.
The picture from the rear concerns me the most.

The bumper and storage area appear to drop about an inch on the curb side. This could be the sign of rear end seperation (aka frame damage).

I would want to investigate this more before I made a deal.
The seller said, "the buyer backed out due to financial issues".
Thank you for your trained eye observations of the exterior of the unit. I didn't notice the
rear end drop and would have had no clue this could mean frame damage. Axels needing to be replaced sounds expencive to me. My biggest concern was the length 31. We have no towing experience so I was thinking we should look at something smaller to start with and see how we do..I do think we'll pass on this unit and do some more reading here
before making any purchases.

Yvette Y.
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either."

KiwiCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1962 24' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
1959 22' Flying Cloud
weatherford , Texas
I wish I was able to go with the orginal on my trailer. The cabinets that were painted by the PO. was easier to paint a nice color to match the rest of the trailer. The fronts were seperated and I had to sand to even out. So painting was the only option. I did restore the cabinet hardware and my princess stove works great! My AS is the hunting wagon and the thought of the traffic on cork floors scared me. I went a little more rugged. Trying to keep as original but very functional and easy to convert back if needed.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Kitchen.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	89768  
Trophycare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:55 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Originally Posted by yukionna View Post
I agree. Whenever I hear that the appliances haven't been tested...I translate that to, "the appliances don't work".
Or, this trailer was bought cheap and being flipped so it hasn't be used by the current owner.

tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote