Old 04-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #1

1963 16' Bambi
San Francisco , California
Bambi Value?

Hi! I am new to Airstream and new to The Forum. Thank you in advance for any information you may be able to lend.
I aquired an old Bambi 16 in a real estate deal a few years ago. It was being used as a construction trailer and is completely gutted. I installed new windows, weather stripping, screens, repacked the axial and basically made it road worthy. I re registered it with the DMV and I live near San
Francisco.
I am looking to sell it as I do not have the time to finish the remodel project. It needs everything, but it is apparently a pretty desireable model.
Does anyone know how to go about finding out what this trailer might be worth?
Thanks!!!
-J

Old 04-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
If you know real estate then you know the value of your trailer is what someone is willing to pay for it. Seriously though, project trailers like yours can be worth as little as $1000 if it might need major work like the floor... if someone was interested in restoring it, it would be a huge issue trying to find a complete interior...

It might make an interesting project, but there isn't much intrinsic value to a stripped Airstream of that vintage...

Old 04-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I humbly disagree that there isn't much intrinsic value to a stripped Bambi. If the body is in good shape, the frame and floor and walls are in good shape, I think there would be plenty of interest. Many people enjoy the challenge of making a new interior and a canvas like a Bambi doesn't come along very frequently. I think you could probably get at least $3000 for a decent, solid shell & floor. Just a guess, however!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
buffalo , Minnesota
I wouldnt take Anything Less Than 5k!!! It might take a few weeks but most will gut it and update the inside anyway.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
buffalo , Minnesota
You should be taken down a rivet for that post! lol No intrinsic value...Thats What a Bambi is!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville View Post
You should be taken down a rivet for that post! lol No intrinsic value...Thats What a Bambi is!
Yeahhh.... that's why I said it could be worth 'as little as $1000' if it needed major work. Even a solid shell and floor isn't such a great find... if you want a cargo trailer, buy a cargo trailer. Getting a gutted AS back to shape is expensive... and one of those projects where you'll never get back what you put into it. I guess it depends if you want a trailer, or a project.

There IS value in an Airstream of that vintage that is original, or has been restored. There is nothing 'special' about a shell to add value... I'm not saying the Bambi isn't nice... just it's stripped condition doesn't ADD value...
Old 04-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
buffalo , Minnesota
Well coming from a person with two hands and the skills to make a 13.6X6.5 area into a a place worth sleeping in and loving just sounds incredibly "simple" to me. I guess if you pay someone to do every little detail it would cost a bit. But still that small of a area should not cost you more than 5-6k. I guess do some homework and find the right person. Not trying to sound rude but Its still a Simple project compared to would I consider and do for a living.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Bunnell , Florida
I'd say and easy $5K

I Bambi shell is very difficult to find. Unless you get lucky, you'll be hard pressed to buy a Bambi for much less than $10,000. Shell's are rare. The last Bambi shell I saw that was sold and marketed on ebay was $10,000. It included no interior at all.

There are a lot of prospective buyers out there who would love to find a Bambi, ANY Bambi, for $5,000 or so and install a custom interior, vintage or modern. The diminutive size of the 61-63 Bambi and its super cool "cuteness" and vintage exterior look are the the primary drivers, second only to the fact that it can support full plumbing, sans a gray water tank.

I looked for a very long time to find a Bambi I could afford and was extremely lucky to buy one from a non-airstreamer that had not listed it for sale on the Forums or on ebay. Because of this, I was able to buy it very cheaply and have had numerous offers already from prospective buyers who are willing purchase it from me at a substantial profit. However, I am very fortunate to have found a Bambi "shell" that I can customize to my own taste with no guilt, so I'm not going to sell it.

I'd have to agree that $1,000 for any Bambi, in any condition, is an absolute steal.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
The easiest way would be to take a couple dozen high quality photos, post it on E-bay with a starting price of $1,000 (no reserve), and let the market decide on its own.

If you go this route you'll find that with better quality the photos it will sell for a lot more. This is one of those cases where hiring a real photographer, who has a good set of wide angle lenses, would probably pay off by a long shot.

-Hans
Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
I will pay you $1000 to get it off my property

Or maybe worth $30k, some are worth money some are scrap.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #11

Currently Looking...
Nelson , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnarlt View Post
Hi! I am new to Airstream and new to The Forum. Thank you in advance for any information you may be able to lend.
I aquired an old Bambi 16 in a real estate deal a few years ago. It was being used as a construction trailer and is completely gutted. I installed new windows, weather stripping, screens, repacked the axial and basically made it road worthy. I re registered it with the DMV and I live near San
Francisco.
I am looking to sell it as I do not have the time to finish the remodel project. It needs everything, but it is apparently a pretty desireable model.
Does anyone know how to go about finding out what this trailer might be worth?
Thanks!!!
-J
Have you arrived at price for your fixer-upper? I'm starting to look for a 'project' bambi, so if you have this listed, let me know.

Thanks,

F. Maika