Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Are they crazy - or like a fox?

I lucked out on a 1964 26 Overlander with the tiniest bit of rot, and all original everything. When I'm done, I hope it looks completely original, with the addition of hidden improvements like new tanks and water lines, electrical and new upholstery. It's turning out to be a real beauty.

I have 2 questions though. Not that I'm going back, but was replacing the working power vents with fantastic fans a bad thing? I'm using the original aluminum cover on one, so from the outside they look completely original. That's about the only change you'll be able to see.

As for my other question. These folks on eBay that put in click lock floors over floor rot and talk about $40k invested in updates and restorations. Then, trying to sell 70's era trailers for over $15k. What is up with that? some have obviously been converting to new systems without the old aesthetics.

Since mine had everything original, I'm trying to keep the outside original. I did up date the water inlet and the power to something on the side without having to dig out under the bumper, but for the heater and water heater, the outside will look original, but the mechanicals are new.

Am I wasting my time? I like the challenge of it all, but are people actually getting these prices on eBay for these crazy conversions that are just lipstick?
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Who was it that said "you can fool all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time"

And wasn't it PT Barnam who said "there is a sucker born every minute"

I agree, who is paying the huge prices for restorations?

But then how many '56 Chevy's are out there, bringing huge $$. Lots, it seems.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Nice find on the overlander! I would replace the fans with fantastics - they are far superior to the original and QUIET!

As for 70's era trailer going for high prices... they are creeping up in price, my guess is that it's because they are light weight. A mid-sized trailer made in the 1974 - to early 1980's range has mostly modern features but has the added benefit of being allowable by a normal SUV or light weight truck. It's not uncommon to see them sell for 10-15 K in my part of the world if they are in decent shape.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Someone who does not read this board could easily be sucked in. We frequently get new members inquiring if a certain trailer is worth buying - after they bought it. They often turn out to be nightmares, which the greenhorn has bought with stars in his eyes.

You will also see some of these "dreamers" and their "dream boats" relisted again and again, as they don't sell, or the bidder turns them down after they see it, or they don't even get a bid.

Some of them may give up and let their trailer rot, rather than admit they made a mistake.

I have seen this happen with cars and houses. Sometimes greenhorns pay too much for a sub standard trailer, car or house. Then spend a fortune for sub standard repairs. And end up with something that is worth 1/10 to 1/2 what they spent, and in some cases, is worth less money than if they left it alone.

So, sometimes they lose out. Sometimes they get a fish on the line. I wish I knew where these gullible fools with fat check books are when I have something to sell.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Or...the owner of the trailer on ebay has actually invested tons of time and money in restoring a trailer, and ended up not enjoying the RV lifestyle, or just doesn't use it as much as he thought he would. So he puts it up for sale, thinking that someone is going to get a nicely redone trailer for a reasonable price (of 10-15k).

Many of these trailers might not sell well because the "restoration" is lipstick on a pig, but my guess is that there are also plenty of no-sales that are because the buyers expect a showroom quality trailer, or because the average Joe, having no idea what goes into a full restoration thinks to himself, "I see these trailers on Craigslist all the time for ~$1000, I'll just get one and restore it myself."

As far as aesthetics go, to each his own--I personally don't prize the 70's aesthetic, and will not lose a wink of sleep as I continue my restoration and rebuild it in a completely different style. I'm thinking steampunk!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post

As far as aesthetics go, to each his own--I personally don't prize the 70's aesthetic, and will not lose a wink of sleep as I continue my restoration and rebuild it in a completely different style. I'm thinking steampunk!
What the heck is " steam punk"? Sounds like a decor I may want!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
thought of doing something steampunk as well. The brass is heavy, and even copper can be heavy. I thought it would be really cool to have copper in the inside, but you have to watch out you don't turn the trailer into a big battery. There have been plenty of awesome redo's out there. Personally, the 70s have one thing going for them, and that is that I believe their frames are geared to carry more weight. So, if you take out all that particle board, and rebuild with real wood, frame and panel, and 1/4" ply, you can save that weight for cool things that weigh a little more. Even the big LED tv's these days don't weigh very much. How bout a mini aquarium put inside a mock diving bell helmet. How many trailers have aquariums?
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
My apologies up front for the blatant hijacking, but Steampunk might be defined as an alternative future that may have begun in the Victorian age, had technology continued to develop purely along mechanical lines instead of electronic. The emphasis of the artform is along polished brass and copper gears, pistons, tubing, and random mechanicals. Two examples of steampunk "trailers" are shown below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steampunk trailer burning man.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	174860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Steampunk-Food-Trailer.png
Views:	1147
Size:	477.4 KB
ID:	174861  

Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote