Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Amen peegreen & roy!!!!

Old 10-11-2007, 07:58 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Alton , Illinois
Hi Garfield: I went throught the same thing. I discovered AS sell above book and that dealers will pay more than book to get them. The exception may be the Base Camp model which is not as desireable. My experience is that there is a lot of play in dealer asking price and AS hold their value very well and at some point start to increase in value or at least level off. If you want it you won't know the dealers bottom line till you counter his ask price.

I don't buy into the BS that says its worth it if you'll pay it nonsense. When I buy used, the question to me is if I buy it can I sell it for more? or reasonably the same amount? I bought new only because I wanted what I wanted and I intended to keep it till I'm too old to go out anymore.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:03 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I use NADA as a guide, not the law. I do feel that the dealer you are looking at is rather high though IMHO.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #18

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I use NADA as a guide, not the law.
Some insurance companies are not even using them for a guide anymore. Our SOB got totaled and they offered 1/3 of KBB and NADA stating they do their own local market pricing studies

Luckly the dealer helped me show them the light and they got tired of me calling for updates on their efforts to locate a unit for me at the price they quoted
HiHoAgRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:35 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree, ins companies are notorious for finding every single way to pay the least they can. This is well documented on this form many times over.

Typically when you get the factory and dealer in the mix, the ins companies do tend to cave a bit because there is fair market value and there is realistic fair market value which takes more than NADA for vintage and even non vintage units. This is also true for damage repair that is covered by insurance. I seem to recall one owner on this forum look to collect on his policy for a rolled or badly damaged Airstream (non vintage). It went back and forth, until I believe the owner got a detailed repair report from Jackson Center and I think that start to break the log jam.

In the end, an Airstream is a vehicle, might not be a car, but insurance folks tend to treat them nearly the same and most haven't a clue when a boat or RV they insure needs a claim without prodding from the insured and other supports. There are exceptions to this comment, but honetly IMHO it's more the exception than the norm unfortunately.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 12:21 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Thanks everyone for the continuing comments.

I've been researching new and used prices for Airstreams from both dealers and private sales in the USA and it appears that most prices seem to be "in tune" with each other as you might expect; used prices are heavily depreciated the first 5 years - up to 40%. Canadian dealers prices seem to be in line with this marketplace from what I can tell.

Interestingly, the dealer pointed out that Thor has normalized Canadian and USA prices so there should be no difference as the dollars are essentially at par. The pricing I'm being quoted bears that out. For us Canadians it's nice not to be gouged as is so often the case. (for example Nikon Canada's prices are a good 10%-15% higher than Nikon USA which is very aggravating.)

Anyway, I'm beginning to think the NADA values are based on original retail and depreciated by some type of forumla as they do not reflect the dramatic price increases over the past 5 years.

It seems to be that the limited availablity of newer units less than 10 years old and the recent large price increases have helped support the appearance of used Airstreams providing lasting value, but frankly I'm not convinced that will necessarily be the case going forward. It will be interesting to see...

Gary
Old 10-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
I'm thinkin' that dealer may be asking a little too much. If you go online and look at what used ones are available, you'll find that prices in the 30k range start with the 2006's, perhaps a 2005 but not often (usually in the 27-28 range). My advice would be to do a little checking around and offer him a lower price. If he won't take it, c'est la vie.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
values...

CCC Information Services Inc., a Chicago-based provider of software and services to help insurance companies, collision repair shops, and independent appraisers evaluate and settle automobile claims. CCC Information Services Group Inc.: Information and Much More from Answers.com