Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Anyone ever used escrow.com

Hi all, I just sent an email question about a part on the classified and received this automatic response info email from air forums, saying the email has been sent, watch for scams... I've had the auto response to other inquiries over the months as well. My question is, as I will be selling a trailer soon and I have never seen anyone mention the escrow company that the air classified mentions below in all my time stumbling the forums...Has anyone ever used them... from what I can gather from the escrow.com site they act as the money middle man. If you have something to sell the buyer sends them the cash for the item, then you ship said item and they hold the cash until the buyer signs that the received the item from the shipping company.
It looks like it would cost approximately $250 to do this and to me that sounds like an amazingly low price to pay for piece of mind to not be scammed. So what are your experiences?

Here is the auto response email....

Scammers have been targeting all online classified systems, here are the most common scams:*
1) The item for sale is priced lower than market value. They are trying to manipulate buyers who think it's an amazing deal into acting with haste or they will miss out on the opportunity. If it's too good to be true, then it probably is.

2) The item for sale is located in a different city then the seller (they always have a good reason why). They often go so far as saying they will meet you there in a few days if the item is still for sale. Once again they are trying to manipulate buyers to act in haste.*

3) Scammers often want to conduct the transaction through a trusted 3rd party escrow service (which is usually part of their scam). We recomend ONLY USING*ESCROW.COM*as the escrow service. If the seller is unwilling to useEscrow.com, then do not use another service! Here is a link

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/escrow.com*

--------------------------------------------
TIPS FOR BUYERS

1) The best way to avoid fraud and make sure you know the condition of the item you are going to buy is to shop locally. Make sure to take a look at the item for sale. It's very common for sellers to post the pretty pictures. Often they conveniently overlook the negative issues which can come as a surprise to many buyers. A nicely polished trailer might have a rotten floor. There could be a dent on one corner that you can't see in the photos. Going to look at the item for sale is the best way to mitigate this risk.

2) If you cannot go inspect the item for sale try to find a volunteer inspector to go take a look for you. Keep in mind these are kind folks who have volunteered their time and don't expect a detailed report from them. It's also suggest to reimburse the inspectors for their gas and time if you feel compelled. You can make arrangements with them individually. You can search for inspectors by State at the following link:

Airstream Inspectors - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstream Trailers For Sale

3) Another important aspect to ensuring a smooth transaction is to verify the seller. Chat with them on the phone, find out who they are, how long have they owned the Airstream, who did they buy it from? Get their full name, connect with them on facebook, search for their name and phone number on Google, ask for a copy of their drivers license and make sure all the data matches. You can also click the link in the ad on their username and look to see when they registered, how many posts they have on AIR Forums, etc.*

4) MAKE SURE TO TALK WITH THEM BY PHONE. If you feel confident that this is a person you can trust, then ONLY use*Escrow.com*as the escrow service to protect your transaction. Here is a link to setup a new escrow transaction:
http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/escrow.com*

5) Lastly, BUYER BEWARE, don't get sucked into having to close on a deal so quickly that you act in haste. On all classifieds sites there are sellers who are bad people and would like to steal your money. Be careful, do your research and protect yourself by only using*Escrow.com*as the escrow company for your transaction. NEVER use a trusted 3rd party escrow service besidesEscrow.com.*
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Escrow.com

Hi theSignLady,

I don't have time to read your whole post as I'm about to go out so I'll just respond to the Escrow.com question. I purchased a used Mazda Miata from across the country sight unseen in 2010 and used Escrow.com. They were fabulous! I would readily and happily use them again.

By the way, I was in the digital printing/sign business with my wife for 20+ years and we just closed it a year ago. A fabulous business and a great run!

Best of luck with a quick sale.
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
A sign shop and all its tools are an awesome place to play when your restoring an airstream. I just finished making my countertops at work and ran them through the laminator so they're bonded good and smooth, Had old stock One Shot the kind with lead in it that lasts forever to repaint my Airstream emblems, I've made "stained glass" digital print on clear vinyl windows for the bathroom. I'm doing the bathroom in 1 by 1 glass tiles, again digital print and I think next I'm going to attempt to make some vinyl tire covers, digitally printed to look like riveted aluminum with the make and year for when my girls stationary. Only problem with the sign shop is these darn customers keep coming in and ruining my playing...

Ooh, love my job, but back to escrow.com anyone else have positive or negative experiences?
Old 03-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #4

2010 30' Classic
Trabuco Cyn , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesignlady View Post
Ooh, love my job, but back to escrow.com anyone else have positive or negative experiences?
I've used escrow.com a few times, most recently to sell a 2005 Safari 25FB (needed more room ). My reasoning is the same as yours, $250 for peace of mind? Done deal. Process was easy, and honestly the buyer appreciated the peace of mind just as much as I did, they obviously were nervous about buying something in CA when they were in Arizona. It shipped, they inspected, and the funds came through.

I've looked into the other online escrow companies as well just for comparison purposes, and lets just say there's a reason it says to only use escrow.com: they're the only licensed online escrow company. For your first one, might be best to give them a call if you're worried about setting everything up, their support line is pretty solid. Good luck with the sale and let us know how it went when you're done!

Stumbled across this on the forum as well, looks like the same message: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f534...ms-126069.html
christream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:22 PM   #5

Rancho Santa Margarita , California
Hello theSignLady,

My name is Keith Gettle and I am the Customer Service Manager at Escrow.com. I am glad to see that you are doing your due diligence before entering into a transaction for an item you found online. There are numerous fraud scams online and you are on the right path to protecting yourself.It is always a good idea to use an escrow company to secure the funds you are paying for something you have never seen, from someone you have not met.

Escrow.com is licensed and government regulated and can assist you with this type of transaction very easily. You can contact our support team at support@escrow.com or by phone at 949-635-3800 Monday through Friday from 8am-4pm PST.

Please feel free to contact me directly, as well, at kgettle@escrow.com or my direct line 949-635-3898. I would be glad to answer any questions or concerns you might have about our services, as well as any general question you might have about purchasing something online.

Good Luck with your purchase!

Keith
KeithESCROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #6
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Thanks all for your responses, I'll be the one selling the Airstream once I get her all reassembled. As I have a lot of blood, sweat and tears into her and I would be devastated if I somehow got scammed. I am very surprised to not see more people talking about this option. Definitely sounds like the way I'm going to go when the time comes.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #7
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
I've used Escrow.com for various transactions and the service worked as advertised, it was easy to use and nice to know a legit firm is out there to protect you. The reason we specifically recommend Escrow.com is because scammers sometimes say you can buy it through Amazon Escrow Service which sounds legit but Amazon does not even offer that service. We wanted to promote a specific service that we know is legit so that's why we choose Escrow.com.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Thanks for that Andy :-)