Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Stockton , California
Another NOOB with a Q!

Hi, everyone. I have been a lurker here for quite sometime. I love reading all about Airstreams. I have coveted one forever and now want to buy. I am totally NEW to trailers (Well, I had a little tent trailer once). I LOVE the 20' model layout, but I only have a Toyota 4runner so should only get a 16' Bambi...for now. I also feel that the little Bambi will be a good introduction to towing, hitching, etc. My main questions is regarding NADA values. There is a 2004 16' Bambi in L.A. that the owner is selling for $23,250. which seems like a pretty good deal as Bambi's appear to be really hard to find. When I look it up on NADA though, I get $12,545. as low retail and $15,140. as current values. Are these realistic? Even in our lousy economic times, it seems that Airstreams are staying pretty high - especially Bambis. It is the bit plasticky CCD model with dark walls and white formica, but is in excellent (owner says unused) condition. I value and welcome your opinions. Any help is greatly appreciated! I am a school teacher and, while I have a pretty steady job, I don't want to make a huge financial mistake.
Dear Prudence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Hi Sally and welcome!!

I don't have the answer for you, but you will get lots of input from others here on the forums.

Just wanted to say good luck with your search and keep asking questions here. When you get your Airstream, be sure to post lots of pics so we can all share in your excitement.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Welcome to the forum - you will find the answer to your question. Always remember that a quality unit has a premium value.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Welcome to the Forum.
The newer Bambis are a little tight for my taste. Make sure you take a long hard look to make sure it will fit your needs. Do you think you could spend a cold wet weekend stuck in one? (Weather forecasting is still not a perfect science.)
As far as price the book value seems a bit low, but, point it out to the seller. Times being what they are he may be willing to deal. Check out eBay and Craigslist for similar units and pricing.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out,
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Keep shopping. There are some good deals out there. Take your time. The right Airstream is out there.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Stockton , California
Thank you everyone for your warm welcome. Just realized how imcomplete my thread title was. Will do better in the future. After FOUR years of wishing, hoping and searching, I have decided on a 16' Bambi CCD for now with hopes of upgrading in a few years. My 4runner can pull it and it's going to be just me the vast majority of the time. My son-in-law is driving almost 400 miles each way to pick it up for me. Hope to see some of you on the road in the near future!
Dear Prudence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Well Stockton isn't all that far from the 4CUnit area, as it extends across the US in reality...we had 2 units from Massachusetts, a couple from SoCal and one for OR at our last Rally...Arizona is not that far, so we hope to see you in our fair state at some point...you'll love your Bambi and it will be a delight to tow...

Happy trails!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
A Bambi on a 4Runner TV...that's the combo we are hoping to put together real soon. Ours is a 2003 Toy with V-6, 5,000 total trailer weight. So we figure the 19' Bambi will be a good match. We're looking at one that comes with a Reese hitch so it should be a pretty good setup.

Question for you Bambi owners: are you comfy with 2 not large adults in that size AS? I wouldn't want to pull anything bigger with the 4Runner.

Thanks.

JimT
JimmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
JimT...

We are good with 2 not-large adults and 2 medium dogs in the 19' Bambi...we get along well and do well in small spaces. For us "it's just right." Efficiency is key...and keeping stuff put away when your done with it and not letting it get cluttered.

Check your tow numbers carefully...we tow with an 07 Tacoma Double Cab TRD V6 with a factory tow package (important)....Bambi loaded is #4500. Tow capacity is #6500 for the Toy...so we are with the "80% rule of thumb." Sway control/weight distribution hitch setup a must. We might be able to get away with a 20' but anything bigger and we'd want/need a bigger truck.

Happy towing and very happy trails!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
TB and Greg - I was surprised to see the Tacoma V6 tow package with that capacity. The Toyota University PDF on towing says I'm maxed out at 5,000 tow capacity in my 4Runner.

I agree, the 20 footer is as large as you'd want to go. If we were to go bigger it would be 23 or 25 foot, definitely into larger TV.

Thanks.
JimmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #11
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
The consensus seems to be that NADA values are very low. They estimate Airstream values as if they were any other trailer. But Airstreams last longer and hold their value longer than the average trailer.

Bambis especially are hard to find and get snapped up fast. They tend to go for more money than even other Airstreams. In fact you can often get a bigger trailer for only a little more money especially when they get older.

Whether that is a good price I don't know. But you have the consolation that if you ever want to sell a Bambi they are easy to sell for a good price.

Tags
16', bambi, nada