Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Patience Grasshopper...

Loved that line from the old Kung Fu show...

Tom-

Sounds like a plan, if you are willing to wait, and consider pre-owned.. For many, the decision to buy brand new or pre-owned is a "Life Choice" and not subject to external inputs... Given big MSRP's and heavy depreciation that occurs during first 18 months, much better pricing can be obtained with pre-owned if you're willing to make compromises and wait... Whether that is better "Value" is personal decision, and many rightly conclude they want to order to their tastes and accept only brand new...

John McG

>> Trained as Engineer and IP Attorney, retired after career as contracts manager/negotiator, now consulting and training in negotiations...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
nevada , Nevada
A interesting point

I too am a Minnesota guy, (Silver Bay), Nevada now, but here is my question:

With vintage parts so scarce, is theft a real problem with vintage airstreams? I just purchased a 59 and am looking forward to restoring it but it does sit in a RV storage lot in the country and I do worry in the back of my mind that someone may scavenge parts from her.

Is this a big problem with vintage airstreams????
wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:32 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
...Don't forget the really cool things too! A built in head thumper! (the doorway!) I hit it at least once a trip.

While the AS (I have an Argosy) is smaller inside, we wouldn't trade it for anything. I've had other TT's. but will never go back. I've been places with our Christine I would never try with any other TT. The overall design gives it unique strength, accompanied by the torsion axles, a unique towing experience.

We have less storage than most, but it all worked out and we seem to carry all we need.

I really like the feeling that I'm pulling a 31 year old trailer in better shape than most 5 year old SOB's on the road.

Good luck with your decision..

Al
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Tom,
I have grown up camping in pop-ups and SOB's. When I first starting looking for a camper of my own, I had a few needs that had to be filled. I wanted a camper that was low cost, high in construction quality and would give me a year long + hobby renovating. This has been said but most of the SOB's are wood construction. I just rebuilt a slide-out in my parents SOB that they bought used last year. It is about 10 years old and the slide out pretty much 'slid out' and was rotten to the core. I didn't want to buy an SOB only to have it rot out in 5-10 years (and all flat roof SOB's will leak) and head to the junk pile. I also searched online for hours on end for older and vintage campers to renovate. The only name that kept coming up for campers 15+ years old was AS. Some of those are 50+ years old! It is not like all SOB owners don't take care of their campers or all AS owners do. That told me that MUST say something about the way they are made.

We got a 30 year old, 31' AS in March (our shiny turd). Everything worked on it except the TV antena. The inside, being 30 years old, was showing wear and the PO painted the rear bedroom and added pink stenciling (to each his own). We could have cleaned it up and camped in it fine for a while longer but me and the wife decided to gut it and rebuild the inside to last another 30 years like we knew the outside would. We are reusing alot of the hardware (well made), all of the appliances and the plastics because they are still in great shape.

Having this AS has and is fulfilling my need for a hobby as I am enjoying the renovation to no end! It is also the first hobby I have taken on that my wife wants to be a part of. I am not a very patient person and my wife knows that all too well but this project has allowed us to work together on something more than we ever have before. I also know that when we are done, we will have a camper that will last at least another 30 years with minimal work (not counting the polishing HAHA).
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #25
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Smile

Wow, one of those ghost ship threads.

Tom asked his question 3 years ago.

Wonder where he is now???
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
oops. Saw it was a new posting today and assumed it was recent Hope he found what he was looking for then.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #27
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post

Wow, one of those ghost ship threads.

Tom asked his question 3 years ago.

Wonder where he is now???
he's still here and still shopping for 'steams...

or maybe not.

check out ANY of his older threads or posts...

thery are all about MAYBE.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...ota-25724.html

or maybe not.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/sear...archid=1592753

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
I am alive and well...still no AS (or MacBook Pro ).

I just may become the answer to the trivia question..."Who knows the most about Airstream trailers...that has never owned one?"

Combination of life's complications...along with a wife that only seems to respond to tag axle 45' Prevosts with three AC units. Plus retirement nest egg has shrunk a bit and we are having to work longer than hoped. AS (or any RV) just may never happen.

I took some time off from the AS Forum...but got hooked again. Too many nice people that I now seem to think of as "friends". Kind of like a daily "campfire" session

Hope there are no time limits b4 you either buy one or get banned???

Tom R in Two Harbors, MN
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Do a controlled test

If you could travel back in time say 30 years and buy 3 different brands of trailers and subject them to the consumer reports of identical tests. Then skip ahead 5 then 10 then another 15 years and compare each one at the different stages of aging, I think you would find the Airstream would win over time and the other units would have long made it to the landfill.

Say one of the tests was that the trailer was pulled over 30,000 miles across the Country. Another might be that a couple lived in it for 5 years. Another would test the exterior condition and another the interior.

Another big test would be to determine the value of the trailer and resale value at the 5, 10, 15, and 30 year marks. I was surprised to learn that the $8,000 I paid for my 72 Trade wind was more than the original owner paid for it new back in 1972!
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:58 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
One word - QUALITY!
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Encino , California
Tom

Set aside the wow factor of owning a Harley and or an AS. The designed intent of an AS is base on engineering. Starting with the shape. Observe the attention to detail. The placements, physical sizing and material used for each style of rivet. The skeleton ribs are locate with purpose. The skin has multiple advantages beside pretty to look at. Even the AS history speaks volumes as does your Harley's. At the end of the day as in everything, it's a life style decision. AS have few negatives with lots of up side. Go get yours and it will win you over.
Land Shark is offline   Reply With Quote