Old 06-23-2015, 07:11 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
Alma , Michigan
Thanks for everyone's comments. The purchase price is 7,000 for our airstream. The lowest estimate I received was 4,000 and the highest around 17,000....I posted this on another airstream group also. I think 7000 is fair based upon what I have seen is out there for sale and the feedbacl received. It really is so subjective.

airstream94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:33 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
I was going to say under $10k which I see you succeeded at with a $7k sale price.

Two years ago I paid $15k for my 1993, 34'. I had work to do that came to just around $1500.

Congratulations on your new AS.

1993 34' Excella 1000
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel
(No it doesn't have a HEMI in it)
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
1974 29' Ambassador
Columbus , 43220
The question of whether or not a price is a "good deal" is very subjective. I just got the AS of my dreams for $10k, but it is not as simple as buyer - trailer - appropriate price. I am a first-time owner and I want my AS to be my primary residence for a few years. I will be renting out my house during this time, so I have work I need to do on it before it is rented. My equation was different than your equation, so all I can see coming form this inquiry is that you will be happy if the majority of respondents think you got a great deal and pretty depressed if most think you didn't. I have discovered on these forums that a lot of people (including myself) choose AS over other RVs for very personal and even emotional reasons. How can you put a price on that? You do need to check the frame and about hundred other considerations concerning what it will take to bring it from what it is now to the perfect RV for you. Like you, I did a ton of research over the last several years before actually buying mine and in the process, I learned some of the possible pitfalls and challenges of restoring an AS. Because of this, I had a list of what I was willing to do - and what I wasn't willing to do - and this list guided my decisions along the way. I very nearly caved at the 11th hour and seriously considered a drivable RV which wasn't an AS. My husband had to talk me down off the ledge and remind me that I have been dreaming about an AS since I was 16 - over 50 years! My advice is to make that list and get very comfortable with the idea that no one AS is the exact one you need to own. There are a lot of them out there in any type of size, configuration, history of use and abuse and overall condition you can imagine. A couple of weeks out from making my purchase, I am really glad I went into this with my eyes wide open.
I hope this is helpful and that whatever AS you purchase will be one you feel really great about owning.
tumbleweeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
For whatever it's worth, from one who just finished remodeling a 1996 34'er, if you paid 7K, you probably did well. That being said, the '96 that we bought last November, we paid 3 times that amount for, but it was from the original owner, and had been pulled less than 5,000 miles since new.
I worked 5 months on the restoration, and spent around 13K, on parts, which among other things, included a new 21' awning roller and fabric, 7 new LR "E" tires, 6 new complete brake assemblies, 2 Maxim skylights, 2 Fantastic vents, updated the range hood to the Fabulous hood, new vinyl plank floor, aluminum wall covering in the kitchen, new china stool in bath, 2 Lambright recliners, new cabinets across the front and sides, new upholstery for the dinette, 2 new Samsung TV's. I think I've covered everything, or close to it.

I did the work myself, (most of it), which saved probably another 10K. After all that, we have a unique 34'er, that should last us as long as we continue to pull it. I've had offers from a buyer at 40K, but I'll keep it for now...

Old age is coming at a really bad time!

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I recently got a 93 which is in excellent shape in and out with some upgrades for 20K. So far the axles look good.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:09 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
1975 31' Sovereign
North Fort Myers , Florida
The rubber in the axles failing are not a function of time, as more toward a function of not being used and where it was sitting(IE, HOT OR COLD). Measure the swing of the axles to determine good or bad. I bought a 1975 sovereign and the axles are fine and rides smooth down the highway.
You can find info on measuring the axle swing on this forum.

ps-when life is too riveting, put your AS in the wind!
TLBIJOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I paid about 13k for my 95 one year ago. I think I will need to spend 5-10k to get it the way I want it.

The biggest problem is the ceiling. It will come loose eventually. You just don't know when.

Sounds like you did fine and are happy. That is all that matters.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote