Old 02-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
Chico , California
Advice needed on purchasing a 25' 2001

I'm looking for advice on purchasing a 2001 25' twin model. My husband and I have been having the big SOB/Airstream debate for about a year. We have 2 young boys (6 and 3). The big debate is to whether to get an Airstream now, or to get a SOB model now to have for the next decade while we have kids (ie dirty boys ) to travel with.

Our friend's grandparents have a 25' 2001 Airstream they are looking to sell. It has been in a large garage since they've had it. It does have 2 dents, but otherwise looks in good condition. (We haven't seen it yet as we don't want to bother them unless we're serious.)

I've already shown the photos to an Airstream renovator to get an estimate on changing the twin beds to twin bunks with a full bed underneath, and removing the couch and changing it to a dinette with extra bed. The estimate was reasonable and what I thought it would be.

Any advice on price we would offer, your thoughts in general, or even ramblings, I would appreciate!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1245.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	233099   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9186.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	233100  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG952705.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	233102  
Attached Images

kris10gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We have a 25' and love it. My advise is to get it. I can not help much with the pricing. The dents will only be an issue if you want to resell it. Ours is a twin bed. It sounds like you are going to have to do custom work on almost any thing you get to do the bunk beds. But before I did that I would try it a few weekends the way it is and see what you really need. Or to see if you like it well enough to put the extra cost in customizing it. Consider ripping out every scrap of carpet in it and putting in a floating floor of some type. That goes a long way to help control dirt. And would be easy to replace down the line.

Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
Chico , California
Thanks Bill. You're right, we should try it a few weekends before changing it. I think the reason we're itching to change it is so it can fit the 4 of us, and have an extra bed in the dinette if one of the boys brings a friend along for a trip.

The photos are so small on the computer, I was thinking it didn't have carpet. I'm going to have to check on that for sure, it would be best if it didn't.
kris10gal is offline   Reply With Quote